Are there any good slot-loading DVD-Roms?

Squick

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2003
I was wondering if there are any good slot-loading DVD-Roms for under $100 OEM? I am about to buy a Lite-On drive (LTD-166-RETAIL) by the recommendation of many users on this board. But before I did that I was wondering if there are any good slot-loading, not tray-loading DVD drives.

Thanks in advance,

Eric Phillips

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Slot loaders are rare. The only company that makes them are pioneer. The 106S is the latest i think. A decent drive, but not quite as good performance wise compared to the liteon.
(I have had both the pioneer and the liteon)

<b>Pentium4 Celleron: The computing worlds Rice Car.</b>

bob_dn

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com/" target="_new">Price Watch</A> has the Pioneer 106S for between $48 and $62 depending on whether you want a bare drive, OEM or retail.

<font color=red><i>"Does your contract have a sanity clause?"
"Are you kidding? Everybody know there's no sanity clause!" - Chico Marx</i></font color=red>

trifler

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2003
Pioneer USA lists the DR-A14S (ATAPI) and the DR-U16S (SCSI) 36X Slot-in CD/DVD-ROM drives on their web site, but I can't find them for sale anywhere.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
proly old stock and they dont make those products anymore

<b>You will die.
If you are lucky you may last ten decades.
If you are especially lucky you will be
remembered for another 5 decades.</b>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
I reccomend the pioneer 106s, I have had one for 2 years now and I am still in love with it oh how it slides in and out slippidy sliding in and out mmmmmmmm ok yeah um and it is fast as hell too.

:evil: Wow, if he's here who's running hell? :evil:

grrryphon

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
Never liked slot-loading players, ever since someone I knew managed to get a bit of dirt or something inside the unit. Scratched every CD that went in/out. But they do look cool; and this is important

--
Grrryphon

Ub3r_n00b

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2002
I don't believe that the scratching was due to dirt in it. As they age (or sometimes when they are relativly new) the braking mechanism fails and begins scoring all the cds. Playstation (one) used to do the same thing and the solution was to lay it on its side; now PS2 are towers :tongue: .

<font color=red> Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people. </font color=red> :wink: