arg. help a fool who knew better.

thebri666

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2003
Ugh. I'm kicking myself for this one...
So I got a nice Lite-On DVD drive for Christmas. I've also got a Lite-On CD-RW drive that I use for burning and copying (they do make a pretty nice combo drive, but it's lower speed and not as well suited to my needs).
I did the utterly boneheaded thing you're NOT supposed to do and, during installation, had both the jumpers of both drives set to Slave. I was rushing because I had someplace I had to be and just forgot to double-check them. Oh lord what an error.
Now that I've fixed the jumpers, the BIOS on my machine recognizes both drives just fine - but Windows is now refusing to recognize BOTH drives. In the Device Manager under my Settings, both the Primary IDE Controller (single fifo) and Secondary IDE Controller (single fifo) have that irritating little exclamation mark that indicates a problem.
The recommended solution is to update the drivers - which I'd be more than happy to do, but the Lite-On website is, well, unhelpful...and to get at the drivers I've already got (on the CDROMs that came with the drives), I would of course need Windows to recognize the drives...
etc.
Is there some easy fix that I'm just completely missing here? Any help would be so very much appreciated...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Simple solution.
Make sure the jumpers are set correctly, delete both drives from the device profile page then reboot, letting windows autodetect and install the devices.

<b>Pentium4 Celleron: The computing worlds Rice Car.</b>