Jakey007

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
I just finished a new system: Asus A7N8X with AMD Athlon XP 2600+ w/ 333FSB, 512MB DDR2700, WindowsXP with service pack 1. Everything seems to be stable, however, my mouse has been rather jerky when doing processor intensive applications. Even just moving between different windows will cause the mosue to jump. I have tried new drivers, different mouse settings, but cannot figure out how to get it to be smooth. Everything else is fine. Its a Microsoft Explorer Optical, which was used with my last system fine. Any ideas?

svol

Champion
Is it an USB or PS/2 mouse?

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
I find USB smoother overall, but not so good when widows is starting or defragging etc. Its fine in games.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

svol

Champion
Is the USB controller that has the mouse connected sharing an IRQ?

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Yep, its sharing IRQ11 with my GF4 Vid Card.... Thats probably a bit of a slowdown but never mind, Its not a serious problem. However I can say that since I connected an ADSL to my USB port the mouse has got a bit more laggy, but that is probably just bandwith related. BTW If I disconnected my USB devices when bemchmarking would I be likely to get better results?

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

Jakey007

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
I'm using a USB mouse, and there seems to be a IRQ conflict between the NVIDIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller and 3Com Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller, both on IRQ of 20. Also, there is a conflict between a Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller and a OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller, both on IRQ 22. How do I change one of each so the conflicts are resolved.???

Thanks for you time.

svol

Champion
I don't think so because you don't use it under benchamrks... but you can always try, maybe that makes you break the 12k points.

svol

Champion
Are you sure that they are marked as sharing conflict, and are not just sharing? Which program supplied you with that information?

Jakey007

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
I used msinfo32.exe to check my IRQ's, none of them are conflicting, just sharing, however, I cannot think of any other reason as to why the mouse is jumpy when the computer is under small loads. Any other ideas?

svol

Champion
Well I don't think it is possible to change IRQ as it is hardware specified. But if you don't use the firewire (IEEE 1394) connectors you can put the mouse in the ports controlled by that USB controller and see if that helps.