Sign in with
Your question

1 MAC filter entry, multiple internet connexions? by 2nd router?

Last response: in Networking
January 19, 2013 5:23:01 AM

Hello,

I did some surfing, on the topic, but i am still not sure. My question is the following:
We have a network, with a MAC filter for the internet acces. Every body can just have one MAC adress entry on their name for internet acces . My idea was to give the MAC adress of another router(that i can control), plug the LAN cable in the WAN of the second router, and then connect more computers to that router.

Would that enable Internet acces for all the computers behind the 2 router?

If no are there any other possibilities?

would it help if i make one computer with an extra network card, register that computers MAC adress and forward internet by the second network card to a router or other computer?

I read that its possible to spoof the MAC adress of a computer, can i get internet acces by setting 1 and the same MAC adress for all computers?

Thanks in advance for any help
January 19, 2013 1:12:18 PM

Do you want/need a second subnet? Let's say main router has a gateway of 192.168.1.1, then router 2 needs a different network to make a subnet, 192.168.x.1 where x is 2 to 254, and the gateway WAN address for router 2 is 192.168.1.1, router 2 DHCP will assign its own network addresses with its DHCP and will pass it to main router.

If you just want router 2 to be an access point instead, give it a static address like 192.168.1.x in it and in router 1, use same wireless security/encryption/password, and different radio channel and attach it instead with a LAN port.

You can use it either way, just depends if you want the computers behind router 2 to be able to connect with those on router 1.
January 19, 2013 3:44:53 PM

i'm assuming you don't actually have control over the first router, hence the question...
If you are connecting to a school, business, or some other sort of non-residential scenario, do make sure you are not breaching terms of service. if it's your home internet, well....
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 19, 2013 4:03:28 PM

Thanks bdubs, I read too quick. :)  Yeah, if it is okay, you can either clone the MAC address of a computer to the router or just use the router MAC address of router 2.
January 21, 2013 11:50:25 AM

RealBeast said:
Do you want/need a second subnet? Let's say main router has a gateway of 192.168.1.1, then router 2 needs a different network to make a subnet, 192.168.x.1 where x is 2 to 254, and the gateway WAN address for router 2 is 192.168.1.1, router 2 DHCP will assign its own network addresses with its DHCP and will pass it to main router.

If you just want router 2 to be an access point instead, give it a static address like 192.168.1.x in it and in router 1, use same wireless security/encryption/password, and different radio channel and attach it instead with a LAN port.

You can use it either way, just depends if you want the computers behind router 2 to be able to connect with those on router 1.

Thank you very much, but please be a bit slower with me i didnt understand much.
Really i dont know if i want or need a second subnet, or just an acces point. What is the easiest?/what is the difference?
I would like to be able to connect (remote desktop & share folders) with other computers on the network. (so should i then choose option 2?)
I dont have control over router 1.
What is a radio channel?

January 21, 2013 12:32:25 PM

The setup all depends on what model router you have, but if you are allowed to use routers on the network the set up is pretty simple. You will have to create a subnet with NAT if only one MAC address is allowed on the network. You will still be able to share with other machines on the main network if configured properly.
January 21, 2013 3:40:33 PM

the router is ordered andwill be delivered in a few days.
Then i will give it a try.
could the extra router screw up the existing network some how if i make some thing wrong?
January 21, 2013 3:49:11 PM

Not really, just accept the static or dynamic address that is assigned and use a different LAN network address -- so if the WAN address that you are given is 192.168.x.y, in your router use that as your WAN address and an LAN gateway of 192.168.z.1 where x does not equal z (and z is between 1 and 254).

You *may* need to clone your computer MAC address to the router, which is very simple and done in the router configuration.

I assume that this is a school dorm network or something of the like, and you should check that routers are allowed.
!