CPU runs on which PSU rail???

bonesdad1

Distinguished
May 25, 2002
Currently in a discussion on another site about which rail the CPU draws power from. I say with most new CPU's (P4 and Athlon XP) it draws from the 12V rail. Every article seems to clearly state this, including THG. I have several disagreeing with me...saying that it runs on the 5V, like the old P3 apparently used to...which is it???

goldarn the pusherman

svol

Champion
And according to AMD's website the Athlon XP also uses the 12V rail.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

bonesdad1

Distinguished
May 25, 2002
I agree with all above...there is, however, a LOT of misinformation going around. There are many who stand by the opinion that AMD CPUs draw from the 5v line and are giving advice stating such. This can have fairly drastic implications for those wanting to purchase a PSU to drive a high end CPU + multiple hard drives and CDs. I think THG oughta make a PSU discussion forum in the Components section of the Community. PSUs are far too important a component to be relegated to the "Other Component" section with the Mice and Speakers. Way too much bad info going around as good advice...

goldarn the pusherman<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bonesdad1 on 01/05/03 11:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

svol

Champion
There was a poll about the making of a PSU, Case and case-mod section... and I think the results where PM'ed to Fredi the webmaster. But as you can see with no effect. I think I'm going to try to find that poll again.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.