mastering a song

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
December 18, 2004 5:40:13 AM

Just finished mixing a song, hard rock/metal. The band might get
intreasted in getting it pro mastered (im coaxing them into it) . But
before we decide, ill post a link to the song and let you ppl. decide
whether it's worth it or not.

The problem is that in India, mastering is non existent. The better
studios will use a finalizer and call it mastering (usually killing)
and a few big releases might go abroad. Mostly to the UK. So asking
amatures to fish out almost as much as they paid me ($100 going by
www.massivemastering.com rates) to get a song mastered might take a
little convincing. Fortunately for me, these boys listen, and
understand.

If they were (and us) to agree, then i, in all probability will need to
first present them with a short sample of what masterig can/will do to
their song. And then we would need to make all transactions, as well as
send and recieve data online.

All help appreciated.

Sidhu

More about : mastering song

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 9:47:34 AM

You might want to go over to PSW - R/E/P and post a request on Brad
Blackwood's forum, or contact Brad directly...

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/f/31/0

Don

"Sidhu" <nitinsidhu@indiatimes.com> wrote in message
> Just finished mixing a song, hard rock/metal. The band might get
> intreasted in getting it pro mastered (im coaxing them into it) . But
> before we decide, ill post a link to the song and let you ppl. decide
> whether it's worth it or not.
>
> The problem is that in India, mastering is non existent. The better
> studios will use a finalizer and call it mastering (usually killing)
> and a few big releases might go abroad. Mostly to the UK. So asking
> amatures to fish out almost as much as they paid me ($100 going by
> www.massivemastering.com rates) to get a song mastered might take a
> little convincing. Fortunately for me, these boys listen, and
> understand.
>
> If they were (and us) to agree, then i, in all probability will need to
> first present them with a short sample of what masterig can/will do to
> their song. And then we would need to make all transactions, as well as
> send and recieve data online.
>
> All help appreciated.
>
> Sidhu

December 18, 2004 12:46:47 PM

> In the US, $100 for mastering a song is dirt cheap. I'm sure there
are
> some people who do a decent job for that, but the well equipped
> mastering houses will charge much more than that. Can they get what
> you consider a good job for $100? In fact, if you only got $100 for
> recording the song, you're working pretty cheap, too. But then I
guess
> that's the way things are in India. It's so hard to compare costs in
> countries with a different economic scale.

I thought 100USD was cheap too. But i came across studios that will
master a song for USD25! Ill chek em out and see if they work. I
charged the band USD130 which is concessional. They are old friends.
But rarely would any amature band be willing to pay USD200 (which is
cheap too, and what i quote). what i got paid was at par (maybe even a
little more) with what a regular studio would charge. But i spend a lot
ore time on the mix.

Considering that i work out of my bedroom, withought a pro soundcard,
acoustics, pres and mics. I manage to get stuff that betters most of
what other proper setups deliver (that does not suggest its very good).
The problem being not many engineers here understand music, or are
educated in this feild. And so im not cribbing, and getting a bit
popular. Also that rock music never had a market in india. Its popular,
but only in the big cities. somehow none of the labels have ever
considered endorsing it. So money for the bands is mostly from small
college gigs.

Can I ask for a favour? The link i posted www.massivemastering.com .
Could you gimme and opinion. I heard his metal master demo. Though the
somg mix i ding like, the mastering did seem to make a difference in
the sound. But i feel the mix was still bad.

> One consideration is what the band plans to do with the recording. If
> it's for auditions to get club gigs, it probalby doesn't need to be
> mastered. Same if it's for broadcast on local radio stations, like if
> they get an on-air interview. If they're collecting material for an
> eventual CD, it might be better until they have the whole project
> completed and then have all the songs mastered at one time so the
> album holds together.

mostly a demo. but they want it to be good, for themselves. Later
theyll incorporate it into an EP. All underground stuff.

> I have no respect for metal music. I figure it's pretty much
> self-mastered - everything as loud as it can be all the time.

I agree that most metal music sux. Being quite a bit of a metalhead
myself, I can vouch for that. But there is some very quality stuff out
there. You mostly would not have a taste for it though.

> Are you
> sure it needs anything more than peak limiting to squeeze the last dB
> out of the boombox? How's your bass monitoring? Could there be
> something down there that should go away that you don't hear? Or is
> the bass weak because you have a node in your room that's boosting it
> acoustically so you mix to compensate?

My bass monitoring is weak. I use a pair of Events TR6's in an
untreated room. I have a node at bout 113hz. Im aware of that and the
node develops behind my monitoring postion. I make sure i regularly
test my mix across many systems in varying locations to make sure im
not missing out or boosting the bass. I have been kinda content so far.

I feel the mix could be a little more in your face. maybe highlight the
guitars a little more. And though i have almost run out headroom in the
mix. It could deffinately be louder :-\
Thanks for the observations.

Sidhu
December 18, 2004 1:28:58 PM

In article <1103366413.940580.138010@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> nitinsidhu@indiatimes.com writes:

> The problem is that in India, mastering is non existent. The better
> studios will use a finalizer and call it mastering (usually killing)
> and a few big releases might go abroad. Mostly to the UK. So asking
> amatures to fish out almost as much as they paid me ($100 going by
> www.massivemastering.com rates) to get a song mastered might take a
> little convincing.

In the US, $100 for mastering a song is dirt cheap. I'm sure there are
some people who do a decent job for that, but the well equipped
mastering houses will charge much more than that. Can they get what
you consider a good job for $100? In fact, if you only got $100 for
recording the song, you're working pretty cheap, too. But then I guess
that's the way things are in India. It's so hard to compare costs in
countries with a different economic scale.

One consideration is what the band plans to do with the recording. If
it's for auditions to get club gigs, it probalby doesn't need to be
mastered. Same if it's for broadcast on local radio stations, like if
they get an on-air interview. If they're collecting material for an
eventual CD, it might be better until they have the whole project
completed and then have all the songs mastered at one time so the
album holds together.

I have no respect for metal music. I figure it's pretty much
self-mastered - everything as loud as it can be all the time. Are you
sure it needs anything more than peak limiting to squeeze the last dB
out of the boombox? How's your bass monitoring? Could there be
something down there that should go away that you don't hear? Or is
the bass weak because you have a node in your room that's boosting it
acoustically so you mix to compensate?

December 18, 2004 11:49:01 PM

In article <1103392007.893310.200780@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> nitinsidhu@indiatimes.com writes:

> The problem being not many engineers here understand music, or are
> educated in this feild.

Sadly that's true here, or, related to this, people who understand
their own music try to be engineers. <g>

> Can I ask for a favour? The link i posted www.massivemastering.com .
> Could you gimme and opinion.

I didn't listen to the samples, but judging from the text, they seem
to at least understand the components of mastering and have some
reasonable gear. I'm not sure how good a room they have, but I guess
the results will tell you that.

> I heard his metal master demo. Though the
> somg mix i ding like, the mastering did seem to make a difference in
> the sound. But i feel the mix was still bad.

Some mixing mistakes can be improved in mastering, but not everything.
Lots of times the best advice a mastering engineer can give to a
client is to try mixing it again, with some suggestions as to what's
weak and can't be brought out in the mastering process. If you're
satisfied with your mixes, that they're well balanced and that
everything that needs to be heard can be heard, then you're probably
OK here.

> mostly a demo. but they want it to be good, for themselves. Later
> theyll incorporate it into an EP. All underground stuff.

Sounds like it should be mastered at some point. Unless it doesn't
sound very good now (and mastering may or may not help that) since
it's a one-song demo it isn't going to be directly compared with
anything, so if the level is a little low, the listener can turn up
his volume control. What's important is that the band sound like a
band that can play.

> My bass monitoring is weak. I use a pair of Events TR6's in an
> untreated room. I have a node at bout 113hz. Im aware of that and the
> node develops behind my monitoring postion. I make sure i regularly
> test my mix across many systems in varying locations to make sure im
> not missing out or boosting the bass. I have been kinda content so far.

Sounds like you understand your limitations. If you can play a CD that
you like and the low end of your mixes sounds like that, then you're
probably OK with the exception that there may be some stuff down below
the range of your monitors that's not musically valuable and is
wasting energy. You can probably safely put it through a pretty steep
high pass filter at about 40 Hz.

December 19, 2004 6:02:53 AM

On 18 Dec 2004 09:46:47 -0800, "Sidhu" <nitinsidhu@indiatimes.com>
wrote:

>> In the US, $100 for mastering a song is dirt cheap. I'm sure there
>are
>> some people who do a decent job for that, but the well equipped
>>SNIP

While you're on the subject, how much of a difference would a small to
intermediate mastering house make to a mix VS say, a TC Finalizer? I'm
not expecting George Marino/Sterling Sound type of master, nor do I
have the resources to pay for it.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 7:16:33 PM

"Mr Tuvok" <tuvok@vulcan.net> wrote in message
> On 18 Dec 2004 09:46:47 -0800, "Sidhu" <nitinsidhu@indiatimes.com>
> >> In the US, $100 for mastering a song is dirt cheap. I'm sure there
> >are
> >> some people who do a decent job for that, but the well equipped
> >>SNIP
>
> While you're on the subject, how much of a difference would a small to
> intermediate mastering house make to a mix VS say, a TC Finalizer? I'm
> not expecting George Marino/Sterling Sound type of master, nor do I
> have the resources to pay for it.

Silly question without knowing Exactly what is to be done.
I'll run as many songs as you like through a compressor and or reverb and or
EQ, at $100 a pop. That's what *some* people call mastering. And probably
all you'll get at that price.

You may need to pay more for someone who knows, and is prepared and able to
find out, what really needs to be done.

TonyP.
!