Sign in with
Your question

Problems with crashing to desktop.

Tags:
  • Desktops
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
February 17, 2010 7:06:48 PM

Recently I've been having some problems when playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. While playing for maybe 10 min, the game with crash to the desktop.

I recently installed Windows 7 to replace my Windows XP....but I had the exact problem playing the game in XP also, except I would get blue screens every now and again playing.

System Specs are:

Asus M2N-SLI motherboard
AMD Athlon 64x2 6000+
6 GB of Kingston DDR2 RAM (3 sticks with 2 GB each, but right now I only have 1 stick in, I'll explain later)
Evga Geforce 9800 GTX

If you need anything else just ask.

Now, I was thinking this was a memory problem, so I was going to text each stick of RAM individually....

The problem is that my PC won't show anything on the screen when it starts up with just 1 stick of RAM in, except for this certain stick...

Please try and help..thanks.

More about : problems crashing desktop

a b $ Windows 7
February 17, 2010 9:11:43 PM

It does seem like it could be a memory issue if it was happening in XP and now W7. Have you tried running memtest86 at any point to test the RAM? How long as the issue with the RAM been occuring?
m
l
February 17, 2010 9:17:05 PM

I haven't tested with memtest yet, but I have a memtest86+ cd laying around here somewhere. I'm not sure how long the RAM issue has been around though, because I've always had the 1 stick that works by itself in my system, until I tried running the other sticks by themselves.
m
l
February 18, 2010 1:42:15 AM

CTDs are not uncommon in MW2. the game is extremely buggy, and causes major issues on many sytems.

it may be something you can pinpoint to fix the problem, but its also possible that its just not going to run on your hardware due to its poor coding.
m
l
!