Sign in with
Your question

Windows 8 or 7 for SLI gaming

Last response: in Windows 8
February 25, 2013 6:18:29 AM

Hello,

So I want to go windows 8 because I'm weird and actually like the interface. I'm afraid it will have an effect on my gaming performance.

Specs
i5 3570k
MSI Z77A-G45
SLI EVGA 660 SC
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
Kingston Hyper X T1 Series 8 DDR3 1866
asus pce-n15
H60 cooling kit
120 GB Vertex 3
2TB Green Drive
Card Reader
DVD Drive
Case is a NZXT 210 Source
1080P Monitor @ 60hz

My concerns with windows 8
-Little support for SLI

My reasons for windows 8
-I upgraded my laptop to windows 8 and like it
-Laptop has not had any compatibility issues with programs or games
-Syncing profiles is a big plus

I know windows 8 had a lot of bugs when it first released but a lot of them have been fixed right? Thanks for the help this is my first time on a forum so I'm new and if you need more info let me know.

More about : windows sli gaming

February 25, 2013 6:22:31 AM

If you are concerned about compatibility and SLI/Crossfire then Win7 is still the way go. AMD has been a little more aggressive in Win8 compatibilty, but it's still not on the level of Win7. If your laptop is true SLI then Win 7 for sure, but if it has just one discrete cards there won't be much a difference, *usually*
February 25, 2013 6:22:56 AM

You indicate your goal is SLI gaming. Well, considering most gamers run Windows 7, I would say Windows 7. It's been out longer, it's more stable, and there are far more drivers for Windows 7 and they have been updated more than what's available for Windows 8.

Besides, if you're in the game, you won't see the fancy Windows 8 interface anyway! ;) 
Related resources
February 25, 2013 6:27:10 AM

abbadon_34 said:
If you are concerned about compatibility and SLI/Crossfire then Win7 is still the way go. AMD has been a little more aggressive in Win8 compatibilty, but it's still not on the level of Win7. If your laptop is true SLI then Win 7 for sure, but if it has just one discrete cards there won't be much a difference, *usually*

Sorry my laptop isn't sli it just has a crappy low end nvidia card with a first gen i7 nothing special I should have specified. Also thanks for answering so quickly.
February 25, 2013 6:28:35 AM

Has anyone read any reviews on SLI performance between windows 8 and 7?
February 25, 2013 6:40:35 AM

My mistake for misreading your post. Like most SLI/Crossfire issues, it's drivers drivers drivers. Eventually you can (hopefully) assume sli/crossfire drivers to apply to win8, but as of now they are still better on win7, depending on game. I can only assume they are working on Win8, but they are still optimizing win7 and win8 is secondary.

p.s. Since you reiterated SLI I'm assuming you are restricting this to nvidia. From what I have read recently AMD current has better compatibility with win8, either by design or more likely by chance. This will change of course, as all things do.
a b 4 Gaming
February 25, 2013 7:08:41 AM

I've heard of there being one and only one issue in Windows 8 for SLI. Tom's has been doing much of their reviews on Windows 8 lately and they've only had one issue that they didn't have in 7 (it was in their Titan review when comparing some SLI benches). Gaming performance seems nearly identical between the two systems, although some things such as web browsing can greatly favor Windows 8.
February 25, 2013 7:09:29 AM

Go with 8 no need to stick with the old outdated os

Im using 8 with SLi 570's working great

Whats this compatibility comparison with 7 and 8 all apps and drivers that work with 7 WILL WORK with 8 -- same NT6 based core

Dont listen to the 8 haters fudd out there its a great os
February 26, 2013 7:02:58 PM

Thanks, windows 8 has come a long way from it's initial launch. I guess the worst thing is if it doesn't work I will just go back to windows 7 with the loss of my time with backing up and reinstalling programs.
February 28, 2013 3:16:54 AM

My recommendation is to go with 7 for now and upgrade to 8 six to twleve months down the road. This is from experience with drivers. 8 is not fully optimized. I would wait until at least SP1 has launched then proceed with the upgrade. Drivers are going to be your main issue.
!