I would like to complain about my WD800JB drive

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Hello,
I am having absolutely no problems with this drive, in fact, it has given me nothing but painful joy & heartbreaking happiness, damn this drive! The sound too, oh my god, i can barely hear it with my 2 case fans running, i mean whats up with that? Im also just so angry at how much faster this thing is compared to my old 5400 drive from '97, i mean come on!!

Ok seriously, thanks for that bit of advice some of you gave me previously, the drive is awesome :D.

rower30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I also have the WD800JB and its almost as fast as my SCSI Cheetah 10K RPM drives (4.5 and 9.1 Gig versions)on an adaptec AHA-2940 SCSI card.

It does have all the problems listed in the previous post. Too quiet. I can't even tell if it is active unless I look at the case LED for crying out loud. Where is all the head clatter I'm used to on my Seagate SCSI drives? This issue forced me to move the HD LED wire over to the EIDE bus off the Adaptec card.

Another thing, I live where it is cold, and my SCSI drives at leat helped heat the house in the winter. The EIDE WD800JB just sits there cool as a cucumber on ice and maybe even absorbes my Amana furnace's heat!

Seriously, this seems to be a nice EIDE drive (first in awhile for me) and it is as fast as a 40MEG/sec ultra SCSI drive most of the time. No noise or heat and it seems to also be the last of the three year warranty drives, too. IBM eat your heart out (and unbury yourself out from under all the bad drives flying your way).

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
If you dont like it, send it to me. :smile:
hehehe

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Hehheh :lol: .

Welp, I spent several hours transferring everything to the new drive & its still working great. Tested Q3A & a couple other things, & no problems surfaced. In fact, i handled it a bit roughly when i bought it, bus ride was very bumpy, i kept taking it in & out of my case (hitting it several times in the process), made it run it upsidedown, sideways & even holding it on my hand, still no problems. What a great drive :)

There was one incident though, i spent $2.5 taking out the jumper, but that was something else rofl :lol: !

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
just no hard and sharp bangs i hope. Thats what really kills drives, G-forces.

P.S. i run my drives on their side too, thanx to my cases ventilated drive bay.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
just no hard and sharp bangs i hope. Thats what really kills drives, G-forces.
That is what I am afraid of. I am putting together a computer, but am still waiting on the RAM. I was bored and put everything else in the case, but due to either me being clumsy or the case being poorly built the Hard drive enclosure fell with the Hard drive in it. It landed on its end and cut through the plastic a little and bent some IDE pins. I am hoping that the plastic and the pins cushioned it enough so that the drive is still ok. At least it wasn't running. I would hate to have wasted my money on a stupid accident.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
bent pins! eeeks.
Just be careful unbending them and connecting up the cables. Anyhow, i wish you luck that your drive is ok.
When i handle hard drives im cautious. Probably Way over cautious. I even get jumpy when other people touch them or turn them over LOL.
But better safe than sorry.

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Well I ordered my RAM from OCSystems and they STILL haven't shipped my order. They wrote me back saying that it would ship this week for sure, but I have to wait for the RAM before I can try it out.

I am also very cautious when handling the hard drive. I had it all screwed into the hard drive enclosure and was putting the enclosure back in. It was clipped in on one side and I was going around to put the screw in and it came unclipped and fell. That is why I think it is a dumb case. I like everything else about it though. I had to be extra careful not to move the case at all or the clip would release. I hate putting the blame on objects though. I was the only one in the room so if the Hard drive is bad, it is my fault.

Anyway, my fingers are still crossed. I just wish I had some extra DDR RAM lying around so I could test it out now.