Ampex? Scully? Take the "Name That Vintage Part" Challenge!

Last response: in Home Audio
December 19, 2004 3:05:10 AM

Hi --

Was hoping to tap into the collective knowledge of this awesome group. The
objective is to identify if and where the parts pictured are used in an
Ampex (or other) analog recorder. (Note that a few have already been
ID'ed.)

Please click here:

http://www.sonicraft.com/Parts/Parts1.htm

This is a **very** simple parts page I've started. Eventually, I hope to
develop it into a humble resource for people trying to get or keep certain
professional analog tape machines running. For right now, I'm just hoping to
get some parts identified.

I've put up pictures with part numbers i. e. "Part #09 NOS Relay TQ4C110VD
3A 26.5VD". I'm hoping you all can help me (1) identify the unidentified
part and/or (2) help me to find homes for the parts I don't need.

Many of these parts are NOS. I have multiples of several of them, sometimes
lots. Also, I have more items not yet pictured (including a lot of switches
and other parts for Scully transports) and yet more still on the way.

I'm not looking to go into the parts business. I've acquired these parts in
the attempt to build an adequate parts inventory for our multitrack
analog-to-digital transfer lab.

http://www.sonicraft.com/a2dx/a2dx_tech.html

(As a matter of fact, if you are sitting on any parts that would be good
spares for the machines we're running, please get in touch.)

While a few of the large items may end up on ebay the rest will probably
not. And, I can't see dumping a part into a black hole box in my place
somewhere when I don't need it and someone else might be desperately
searching for it.

So, any help figuring out where these parts were originally used would be
greatly appreciated. If this process proves successful, I will put up lots
more parts.

Thanks,

--Steve

Steve Puntolillo
Sonicraft A2DX Lab
Ultimate Multitrack Analog to Digital Transfers
http://www.sonicraft.com/a2dx
December 19, 2004 3:05:11 AM

"Steve Puntolillo" <spunt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi --
>
> Was hoping to tap into the collective knowledge of this awesome group. The
> objective is to identify if and where the parts pictured are used in an
> Ampex (or other) analog recorder. (Note that a few have already been
> ID'ed.)
>
> Please click here:
>
> http://www.sonicraft.com/Parts/Parts1.htm
>
> This is a **very** simple parts page I've started. Eventually, I hope to
> develop it into a humble resource for people trying to get or keep certain
> professional analog tape machines running. For right now, I'm just hoping
> get some parts identified.

Not sure that #5 is from a capstan motor. It looks like the back-
plate from a low-mass "pancake" motor, likely with a PCB rotor.
Our Ampex VPR-7800 1-inch Type-A VTRs used motors like
that for the reels.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 4:27:04 PM

Hi, Richard --

> "Steve Puntolillo" <spunt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Hi --
> >
> > Was hoping to tap into the collective knowledge of this awesome group.
The
> > objective is to identify if and where the parts pictured are used in an
> > Ampex (or other) analog recorder. (Note that a few have already been
> > ID'ed.)
> >
> > Please click here:
> >
> > http://www.sonicraft.com/Parts/Parts1.htm
> >
> > This is a **very** simple parts page I've started. Eventually, I hope to
> > develop it into a humble resource for people trying to get or keep
certain
> > professional analog tape machines running. For right now, I'm just
hoping
> > get some parts identified.
>
> Not sure that #5 is from a capstan motor. It looks like the back-
> plate from a low-mass "pancake" motor, likely with a PCB rotor.
> Our Ampex VPR-7800 1-inch Type-A VTRs used motors like
> that for the reels.

Thanks for your input.

Someone from the Ampex list made a similiar comment. This piece came from
Sunset Sound and was supposed to be for an MM1200 capstan motor. Meanwhile,
it doesn't match the capstan motors in my MMs.

The date tag indicates it was made in 1973, so maybe it's actually a
replacement for an MM1000 or MM1100? Or maybe neither. But, then why would
it be laying around Sunset Sound if it was for a video machine? Sure beats
me.

Cheers,

--Steve

Steve Puntolillo
Sonicraft A2DX Lab
Ultimate Multitrack Analog to Digital Transfers
http://www.sonicraft.com/a2dx
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 4:27:05 PM

"Steve Puntolillo" wrote ...
> Hi, Richard --
> "Richard Crowley" wrote...
>> Not sure that #5 is from a capstan motor. It looks like the back-
>> plate from a low-mass "pancake" motor, likely with a PCB rotor.
>> Our Ampex VPR-7800 1-inch Type-A VTRs used motors like
>> that for the reels.
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> Someone from the Ampex list made a similiar comment. This
> piece came from Sunset Sound and was supposed to be for an
> MM1200 capstan motor. Meanwhile, it doesn't match the
> capstan motors in my MMs.
>
> The date tag indicates it was made in 1973, so maybe it's
> actually a replacement for an MM1000 or MM1100? Or maybe
> neither. But, then why would it be laying around Sunset Sound
> if it was for a video machine? Sure beats me.

They likely used it for several different machines (and types
of machines). A successful reel motor design isn't limited to
exclusively audio or video applicaitons.

Besides, didn't Sunset Sound do audio for video?
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 6:08:47 PM

Hi --

> > The date tag indicates it was made in 1973, so maybe it's
> > actually a replacement for an MM1000 or MM1100? Or maybe
> > neither. But, then why would it be laying around Sunset Sound
> > if it was for a video machine? Sure beats me.
>
> They likely used it for several different machines (and types
> of machines). A successful reel motor design isn't limited to
> exclusively audio or video applicaitons.

Absolutely.

> Besides, didn't Sunset Sound do audio for video?

Good point. Maybe they did/do.

I have enough of an investiment in this particular trinket, that if no one
asks me for it, I'll return it for credit against something else they might
have that I *can* use.