firewire audio: daisy-chaining VS adat i/o

Last response: in Home Audio
December 19, 2004 2:34:20 PM

Hello there,

I am thinking about going for firewire audio.
Three particular units are in my scope:
Motu 828mkII, Motu Traveler and RME Fireface.
Sometimes I need more than 10 input channels,
so I want to make sure that daisy-chaining
or adat i/o will work right out of the box
the day I'd rent another one.

Would there be any difference when connecting
a second motu 828 to an existing one between
a) daisy-chaining thru the 2nd firewire port
b) using the adat digital 8ch. i/o port ??

AND

What would happen when I use two different
audio boards at each of my two firefire ports?
(I could sync them via word clock for example...)

Kind Regards
Nudge

--
Nudge // PCS Records Studio Leipzig
http://studio.lieber-media.de

<< I want to make sure that daisy-chaining
or adat i/o will work right out of the box
the day I'd rent another one. >>

A client of mine records all their gigs with two 828's into an older G3 laptop.
Works really well.

<< What would happen when I use two different
audio boards at each of my two firefire ports?
(I could sync them via word clock for example...)

I believe syncing is not an issue if you set your software to "Internal" clock
mode. That's how I set up Digital Performer for the client I mentioned above,
so sync must take place via the FireWire, without needing wordclock between the
two 828's.

Scott Fraser
December 19, 2004 10:33:54 PM

Why wouldn't you just add a ADAT 8 chn mic pre to the MOTU 828mkii? That
would give you 18 analog inputs... I have a 828mkii that I use for
recording my band live (it also doubles as the in-ear monitor mixer).
Although I have not tried it yet, I just picked up a Behringer ADA8000 ADAT
mic pre (for $220 I figured it was worth a try - and it's been getting
pretty good reviews). I wasn't going to use the pre's in it anyway - I use
the pre's in the 828 for a live stereo mix and then split everything else
off the board.

!