12 volt + and 5 volt - = 7 volt?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i have heard that this works, however when i tried it, my multimeter still read 12 volts. whats up with that?

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

svol

Champion
You mean using the 12V as + and 5V as ground? I think it should work... how do you measure the voltage?

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I'm running a 120mm fan like that on 7Volts so it work. Fan doesn't run on 5V and 12V make it spin too loud (not too loud, I'm just trying to get a silent setup).

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're probably using the wrong wires. On the power connectors, Yellow is 12v and Red is 5v, connect the positive lead of the fan to 12v and the negative to 5v, you get a fan that spins slower.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i hooked up the positive 12 volt and the negative 5 volt to the fan, there is no speed change, and i hook my multimeter to measure the voltage, it says 12 volts. i also tried the other way around. positive 5 and 12 negative, it also reads 12.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah.

What the heck are you using?

A molex (the kind you plug into your hard disk and cdrom drives) connector has 4 wires on it.

A yellow, red, and two blacks. The yellow is 12v, the red is 5v, and the two blacks are ground (more or less, 0v).

Put your leads (it doesn't matter which; you'll just get a sign difference) across the yellow and red wires.

You <i>should</i> read either +7 or -7 volts.

If you're reading 12v, then unhook that power supply before it melts, and liquid copper burns your entire house down.

If you're reading under 7 volts, then heave both the multimeter and power supply in the garbage; one of them is bad.

If you have one of the leads in the unfused 10amp socket, when it should be in the 500ma/2A socket, dunk your head in a bucket of water and wash your eyes out, because your meter should have been reading 0v.

"I personally think filesystems should be rewritten from scratch every 5 years..." --- Hans Reiser

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
im using the molex connector, yellow with either black reads 12 volts. red with either black reads 5 volts. i doubt its a problematic psu, its a 431 enermax. im thinking there is some kind of built in protection to prevent this kind of thing? that doesnt make much sence either though.

svol

Champion
Are you reading the voltage parallel with the fan or in serie? It should be parallel.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
im not reading the voltage with the fan on at all. im just taking reading from the terminals. according to the adaptor they supply on directron, your supposed to use the positive wires from the 5v and 12 volt, no black wires are used. thats very strange.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, it can be usd to undervolt or even overvolt casefans.
any combination of +12, +5, +3.3, 0, -5 and -12 can be used for humerous results.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

svol

Champion
But don't use the -5V and -12V line if you got a very power hungry fan as then can only handle 1 or 2A.