Bose Personalized Amplification System?

Last response: in Home Audio
December 19, 2004 8:47:01 PM

Gene Sweeny wrote:

> I saw this thing at a GC near Pittsburgh. It looks like the support
> pole for a basket ball hoop. There is a bass "module" you can get too.
> Some lady was "auditioning" it and singing/talking through it. I
> thought it sounded like garbage.

It's hard to take that thing seriously when GC Velcroes a big cardboard
display flag onto the side of the pole; it seriously screws up the
upper-mids. Have them take it off (you may have to tell them you're
thinking about buying five to get them to peel the Velcro). It sounds a
*little* better that way.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 8:47:01 PM

Gene Sweeny wrote:

> I saw this thing at a GC near Pittsburgh. It looks like the support
> pole for a basket ball hoop. There is a bass "module" you can get too.
> Some lady was "auditioning" it and singing/talking through it. I
> thought it sounded like garbage.
>
> This type of thing might be nice for solo/vocal/guitar acts in
> bookstores/coffee shops/very small bars.

A Mackie SRM-350 will make a sound strongly resembling the original instrument, costs ~$500, fits in the back seat of a subcompact and can be easily carried by most anyone.
December 19, 2004 8:47:01 PM

> Anyone heard/demoed this?
>
> http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_E...

I forgot to add that it is particularly harsh and loud at the 8k region. I also saw a band using two
them at a small dive bar. They faced one of them toward the crowed and the turned the other one so it
acted as a "monitor".
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 9:27:40 PM

Bill Lorentzen wrote:
> Anyone heard/demoed this?
>
> http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_E...
>
> Curious.

Much has been written about it
do a google for Steve Smith and Bose PAS system
about the most honest review of it I have read
I believe his post showed at 3 NG's
rec.audio.pro
alt.audio.pro.live-sound
rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
George
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 10:27:54 PM

S O'Neill wrote:
> Gene Sweeny wrote:
>

>> I saw this thing at a GC near Pittsburgh. It looks like the support
>> pole for a basket ball hoop. There is a bass "module" you can get too.
>> Some lady was "auditioning" it and singing/talking through it. I
>> thought it sounded like garbage.

you hearing is working perfectly

george
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 1:15:42 AM

Now available: new Particle Salad CD "The Track Inside."

See http://www.particlesalad.com for more info.

"Bill Lorentzen" <lorentzn@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:o 8jxd.4806$rL3.2721@trnddc03...
> Anyone heard/demoed this?

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_E...

> Curious.
> --
> Bill Lorentzen

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 1:21:32 AM

You can do a search, it was asked here a while ago... but I have to say,
there was a brazilian jazz group that played in my town at a plaza...
outdoor show, in between buildings...

I have to say, it sounded pretty darned decent. Definitely lacking in the
lower mids/upper bass, but for their sounds it was OK. They had drums
(acoustic), bass (direct), guitar amp, percussion (miced), and two
vocalists. No floor monitors.

What is nice about that solution is the audience has more localization of
each individual source... it sounded a bit more hi-fi then a lot of bands I
heard in the same space. Part of that was the lack of low mid buildup that
tended to sound a bit muddy. I could hear the bass and kick fine,
surprisingly enough. I think they had three of the things among the
personnel.

I wouldn't think it would work with a rock band, but I don't know for sure.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 2:17:49 AM

I saw a Bose Demo workshop last year when they first came out.

It was funny. There was aband that had the thing adjusted to them..
they sounded pretty good, but it was that overly processed sound. Like
digital System controller times ten. Not the PA sound that I like. (
but some people do... Kenny G and that ilk )

The funny part was when the Bose rep tried to speak inbetween songs..
Because the system just didn't work right. It might have been the guy
speaking off axis into the mic, but for a product Demo, what the hell.

The good thing i can say about the system is it evenly projected
arround the room. In a weird "L" shaped room, with lots of glass, the
Bose system on stage travelled well. No major frequency loss pockets,
dead spots, or anything like that.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 12:17:09 PM

George Gleason wrote:
> Bill Lorentzen wrote:
> > Anyone heard/demoed this?

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_E...

> > Curious.
>
> Much has been written about it
> do a google for Steve Smith and Bose PAS system
> about the most honest review of it I have read
> I believe his post showed at 3 NG's
> rec.audio.pro
> alt.audio.pro.live-sound
> rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
> George

Thanks for the reference George, but if you're talking about me, it's
Steve Scott. I know we haven't talked in a while, now you've forgot me
already! <g>

Here are the original posts BTW:
http://tinyurl.com/5ydex and http://tinyurl.com/544mu

Steve
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 12:29:39 PM

Hmmm, new google is acting strange. Reposting what I wrote, maybe
it'll show up one of these days...

Thanks for the reference George, but if you're talking about me, it's
Steve Scott. I know we haven't talked in a while, now you've forgot me
already! <g>

Here are the original posts BTW: http://tinyurl.com/5ydex and
http://tinyurl.com/544mu

Steve
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 2:48:27 PM

In article <o8jxd.4806$rL3.2721@trnddc03>,
Bill Lorentzen <lorentzn@verizon.net> wrote:
>Anyone heard/demoed this?
>
>http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_E...

Yes, and it led to a long and drawn out flame war here. Check it out in
the google archives.
--scott
December 20, 2004 2:57:46 PM

Gene Sweeny <goo1ween@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I forgot to add that it is particularly harsh and loud at the 8k region. I also saw a band using two
>them at a small dive bar. They faced one of them toward the crowed and the turned the other one so it
>acted as a "monitor".

That's also configurable. One of the problems with this thing is that it
gives you a whole bunch of "microphone presets" which allow you to shoot
yourself in the foot.
--scott

December 20, 2004 8:19:00 PM

Steve Scott wrote:
> George Gleason wrote:
>
>>Bill Lorentzen wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone heard/demoed this?
>>>

> http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_E...
>
>>>Curious.
>>
>>Much has been written about it
>>do a google for Steve Smith and Bose PAS system
>>about the most honest review of it I have read
>>I believe his post showed at 3 NG's
>>rec.audio.pro
>>alt.audio.pro.live-sound
>>rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
>>George
>

> Thanks for the reference George, but if you're talking about me, it's
> Steve Scott. I know we haven't talked in a while, now you've forgot me
> already! <g>
>
> Here are the original posts BTW:
> http://tinyurl.com/5ydex and http://tinyurl.com/544mu

Sorry Steve Scott, and Steve Smith
your both good friends
George
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 10:56:46 PM

nmm wrote:
> I saw a Bose Demo workshop last year when they first came out.

I pity the fool!

> It was funny.

You don't say? I too find B*se stuff fairly comical. We have a lot in
common.

> There was aband that had the thing adjusted to them..
> they sounded pretty good, but it was that overly processed sound.
Like
> digital System controller times ten. Not the PA sound that I like. (
> but some people do... Kenny G and that ilk )

I'm a personal friend of Mr. G. He would not take kindly to your
remarks. Mr. G., please let me be the first to appologize for this
inconsiderate person. Your music is beautiful no matter what anyone
says.

> The funny part was when the Bose rep tried to speak inbetween songs..
> Because the system just didn't work right. It might have been the guy
> speaking off axis into the mic, but for a product Demo, what the
hell.

Or... It could have been the fact that basketball hoop pole shaped
device was a sh** burger from the start.

> The good thing i can say about the system is it evenly projected
> arround the room. In a weird "L" shaped room, with lots of glass, the
> Bose system on stage travelled well. No major frequency loss
pockets,
> dead spots, or anything like that.

Ooooh bow down to the B*se gods! The thing projects sound evenly.
What an acheivement! Too bad the system uses DSPs to fake your ear
into hearing what some dimwit B*se engineer thinks "sounds good....
derrrr" like Phil Allison's girlfriend fakes o*gasms.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 3:48:58 PM

On 20 Dec 2004 19:56:46 -0800, "Gene Sweeny" <goo1ween@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Ooooh bow down to the B*se gods! <snip>

Someone should bend 'em over.

>The thing projects sound evenly. <snip>

Wasn't there a guy named Lansing who was doing that right after WWII?

>What an acheivement! Too bad the system uses DSPs to fake your ear
>into hearing what some dimwit B*se engineer thinks "sounds good....
>derrrr" like Phil Allison's girlfriend fakes o*gasms. <snip>

Bose...the KING of audio fraudio!

"Got no highs? Got no lows! Only midrange...MUST BE BOSE!"

dB
!