How Do I Convert Vinyl Records In Pro-Tools?

Last response: in Home Audio
December 20, 2004 6:17:01 AM

I have a Digi 001 and Pro-Tools LE, do I need to run the turntable through a
pre-amp and then to the breakout box? Or can I run the turntable directly
into the breakout box? And what format/resolution do I want to record this
as to be able to burn the record onto a CD?

Thanks,
Lance McCollum
December 20, 2004 6:17:02 AM

McCollum wrote:
> I have a Digi 001 and Pro-Tools LE, do I need to run the turntable through a
> pre-amp and then to the breakout box? Or can I run the turntable directly
> into the breakout box? And what format/resolution do I want to record this
> as to be able to burn the record onto a CD?

You need to plug your turntable into a phono preamp first. Unless your
turntable is one of the new ones with a line out or a digital out.

CD format is 16bit/44.1kHz.

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 6:17:03 AM

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:08:18 -0600, EricK <eric@Raw-Tracks.com> wrote:

>McCollum wrote:
>> I have a Digi 001 and Pro-Tools LE, do I need to run the turntable through a
>> pre-amp and then to the breakout box? Or can I run the turntable directly
>> into the breakout box? And what format/resolution do I want to record this
>> as to be able to burn the record onto a CD?
>
>You need to plug your turntable into a phono preamp first. Unless your
>turntable is one of the new ones with a line out or a digital out.
>
>CD format is 16bit/44.1kHz. <snip>

Unbelievable today how kids know nothing about equalization. You MUST
run the cartridge through an RIAA (if that's what the record takes;
anything since 1954 does) equalization stage AND be at line level
before you do anything. Some of the new stuff has phono stages
onboard, but I wouldn't expect them to be all that great. Digital
out, I haven't seen.

dB
Related resources
December 20, 2004 6:17:04 AM

"DeserTBoB" <desertb@rglobal.net> wrote in message
> Unbelievable today how kids know nothing about equalization. You MUST
> run the cartridge through an RIAA (if that's what the record takes;
> anything since 1954 does) equalization stage AND be at line level
> before you do anything. Some of the new stuff has phono stages
> onboard, but I wouldn't expect them to be all that great. Digital
> out, I haven't seen.
>
> dB

No offense "DeserTBoB" but, just becuase you "haven't seen" it, doesnt mean
it dont exsist.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DENDPDJ151

Jim
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 3:02:59 PM

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 02:43:33 -0500, "Jim" <no@spam.com> wrote:

>No offense "DeserTBoB" but, just becuase you "haven't seen" it, doesnt mean
>it dont exsist.
>
>http://www.zzounds.com/item--DENDPDJ151 <snip>

I'd heard, but not seen...until now. Thanks for the link. I wouldn't
buy one, however.

dB
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 4:14:00 PM

In article <q3vcs0huige2ode19tkvfelbbvqutdmgil@4ax.com> desertb@rglobal.net writes:

> Unbelievable today how kids know nothing about equalization. You MUST
> run the cartridge through an RIAA (if that's what the record takes;
> anything since 1954 does) equalization stage AND be at line level
> before you do anything. Some of the new stuff has phono stages
> onboard, but I wouldn't expect them to be all that great. Digital
> out, I haven't seen.

Yup, all sorts of new turntables, but audiophile turntables are still
pretty traditional. To people who don't know any better and just want
to move their collection over to CDs without doing any restoration
(which can be very time consuming, and almost always leads to the "Is
there a plug-in I can use?" question), I recommend buying a cheap
receiver with a phono input at a thrift store or yard sale.

I'm waiting for someone to frame the question so I can answer: "You
need a different kind of disk drive for your computer, then just stick
in the record and click the 'start' button."

December 20, 2004 6:30:39 PM

> I'd heard, but not seen...until now. Thanks for the link. I wouldn't
> buy one, however.
>
> dB

Well, neither would I, personally, i like my Technics, and IMO as far as
vinyl goes, its an analog format that should remain analog.

Jim
December 21, 2004 12:40:40 AM

DeserTBoB wrote:
> Unbelievable today how kids know nothing about equalization.

I hope that wasn't directed at me, was it?

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 9:30:03 AM

"Jim" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:wFGxd.17435$mC.5923@fe04.lga...

> "DeserTBoB" <desertb@rglobal.net> wrote in message
> > I'd heard, but not seen...until now. Thanks for the link. I wouldn't
> > buy one, however.
> >
> > dB
>
> Well, neither would I, personally, i like my Technics, and IMO as far as
> vinyl goes, its an analog format that should remain analog.
>

> Jim

Thanks, guys, for the answers. Yes, I know I needed a preamp, I just
wondered if the pre in my 001 would do the job, or should I say, be bette
than a cheap receiver set of pre's. And yes, I know what speed CDs are
recorded at, I was just asking if there was a better collective wisdom about
recording and then converting. I also believe that vinyl should remain
vinyl. Except in my case, I have some stuff I would like to listen to and
let my kids listen to without destroying the irreplaceable vinyl that I
have.

Lance

www.mccollumguitars.com
December 21, 2004 9:30:04 AM

"McCollum" <mccollum@mccollumguitars.com> wrote in message

> Thanks, guys, for the answers. Yes, I know I needed a preamp, I just
> wondered if the pre in my 001 would do the job, or should I say, be bette
> than a cheap receiver set of pre's. And yes, I know what speed CDs are
> recorded at, I was just asking if there was a better collective wisdom
about
> recording and then converting. I also believe that vinyl should remain
> vinyl. Except in my case, I have some stuff I would like to listen to and
> let my kids listen to without destroying the irreplaceable vinyl that I
> have.
>
> Lance
>
> www.mccollumguitars.com

I understand that stand point, i have alot of my vinyl on CD and MP3 (for my
Ipod) with my statement, i meant i dont think digital turntables like the
Denon, or anyother are a good product, thats like a tape deck with digital
outputs. Or an 8 Track with digital outputs. I just dont see the point.

Jim
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 1:31:10 PM

McCollum wrote:

> Thanks, guys, for the answers. Yes, I know I needed a preamp, I just
> wondered if the pre in my 001 would do the job, or should I say, be bette
> than a cheap receiver set of pre's. And yes, I know what speed CDs are
> recorded at, I was just asking if there was a better collective wisdom about
> recording and then converting. I also believe that vinyl should remain
> vinyl. Except in my case, I have some stuff I would like to listen to and
> let my kids listen to without destroying the irreplaceable vinyl that I
> have.

Holy smokes, Lance. I just figured out it was you asking about this.

How many records do you have? I'll bring my LP12 and Kairn up to Hanks sometime and we can run them off together. Oh, and I finally found the Nitty Gritty.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 2:18:41 PM

McCollum <mccollum@mccollumguitars.com> wrote:

>Thanks, guys, for the answers. Yes, I know I needed a preamp, I just
>wondered if the pre in my 001 would do the job, or should I say, be bette
>than a cheap receiver set of pre's. And yes, I know what speed CDs are
>recorded at, I was just asking if there was a better collective wisdom about
>recording and then converting. I also believe that vinyl should remain
>vinyl. Except in my case, I have some stuff I would like to listen to and
>let my kids listen to without destroying the irreplaceable vinyl that I
>have.

A phono preamp is NOT the same thing as a mike preamp. You cannot use a
mike preamp on a phone cartridge: it does not have the RIAA EQ and it does
not have the right input Z. The cartridge will want to see (probably, unless
it's a Decca) 47k ohms with a particular capacitance and it will not be happy
with any other load. Better phono preamps have some switches in back that
allow you to adjust the load Z. Cheaper ones will usually present something
reasonable for the average cartridge.
--scott

December 21, 2004 4:54:17 PM

On 21 Dec 2004 11:18:41 -0500, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>A phono preamp is NOT the same thing as a mike preamp. You cannot use a
>mike preamp on a phone cartridge: it does not have the RIAA EQ and it does
>not have the right input Z. The cartridge will want to see (probably, unless
>it's a Decca) 47k ohms with a particular capacitance and it will not be happy
>with any other load. <snip>

Well, there was another one...the MicroAcoustics "electrets."
Actually, they didn't really care about load Z all that much, and
weren't affected by cable capacitance as are all MM and MC cartridges.
I'm just glad I bought a shitload's worth of replacement styli while I
still had the chance for their 630mp and 830csa cartridges...best I've
EVER heard, including a lot of those moving coil frauds. Even the
cheapie MAs would outdo any MM...Shure, Pickering, Grado...whatever.
Sad the cartridge went away when Schwartz died, and doubly shameful
they were denigrated so thoroughly by the "audiophool" press in favor
of some really shitty moving coil monstrosities. I found, in both
testing and listening, that the earlier MA 2002e was far beyond the
norm for phonographic performance in the '70s. They do, however, need
a light mass arm; the SME 3009 Ser. III worked very well with them,
the old Ser. II, not so well.

dB
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 5:00:24 PM

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:40:40 -0600, EricK <eric@Raw-Tracks.com> wrote:

>DeserTBoB wrote:
>> Unbelievable today how kids know nothing about equalization.
>
>I hope that wasn't directed at me, was it? <snip>

No, not at all. I was venting about "know-nothings" I ran into not
long ago at a local university campus who were doing just
that...putting LPs onto CD-Rs. They were laughing about how "thin"
LPs sound and that they were using Pro-something to make them "sound
better." Of course, they put the mag cartridge (a cheesy Shure M-44)
into hi-Z mic pres. Once I straightened their asses out, they were
AMAZED at what they heard...and were completely clueless about RIAA
curve. And these idiots were running the campus FM station!

Apparantly, underclassmen these days aren't particularly bright, nor
are they wont to do much research before they get their ham hooks into
something they know nothing about.

dB
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 7:25:01 PM

> McCollum <mccollum@mccollumguitars.com> wrote:
> >>
> >Thanks, guys, for the answers. Yes, I know I needed a preamp, I just
> >wondered if the pre in my 001 would do the job, or should I say, be bette
> >than a cheap receiver set of pre's. And yes, I know what speed CDs are
> >recorded at, I was just asking if there was a better collective wisdom
about
> >recording and then converting. I also believe that vinyl should remain
> >vinyl. Except in my case, I have some stuff I would like to listen to and
> >let my kids listen to without destroying the irreplaceable vinyl that I
> >have.
>
> A phono preamp is NOT the same thing as a mike preamp. You cannot use a
> mike preamp on a phone cartridge: it does not have the RIAA EQ and it does
> not have the right input Z. The cartridge will want to see (probably,
unless
> it's a Decca) 47k ohms with a particular capacitance and it will not be
happy
> with any other load. Better phono preamps have some switches in back that
> allow you to adjust the load Z. Cheaper ones will usually present
something
> reasonable for the average cartridge.
> --scott

Thank's
Lance
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 5:21:54 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> A phono preamp is NOT the same thing as a mike preamp. You cannot use a
> mike preamp on a phone cartridge: it does not have the RIAA EQ and it does
> not have the right input Z. The cartridge will want to see (probably, unless
> it's a Decca) 47k ohms with a particular capacitance and it will not be happy
> with any other load.

As a matter of interest, what load should you use with a Decca
cartridge?

Cheers.

James.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 9:47:17 PM

"James Perrett" <James.R.Perrett@soc.soton.ac.uk> wrote in message
> Scott Dorsey wrote:
>

> > A phono preamp is NOT the same thing as a mike preamp. You cannot use a
> > mike preamp on a phone cartridge: it does not have the RIAA EQ and it
does
> > not have the right input Z. The cartridge will want to see (probably,
unless
> > it's a Decca) 47k ohms with a particular capacitance and it will not be
happy
> > with any other load.
>
> As a matter of interest, what load should you use with a Decca
> cartridge?

At least some users recommend 33k. Dunno the proper capacitance.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 9:47:18 PM

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:47:17 GMT, "Paul Stamler"
<pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote:

>At least some users recommend 33k. Dunno the proper capacitance. <snip>

There was considerable hubbub years ago about the load impedance on
Deccas, and I was curious...until I learn how shitty a Decca cartridge
really was anyway, so I never gave it another thought! What a
fraud....

dB
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 1:33:23 AM

James Perrett <James.R.Perrett@soc.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
>> A phono preamp is NOT the same thing as a mike preamp. You cannot use a
>> mike preamp on a phone cartridge: it does not have the RIAA EQ and it does
>> not have the right input Z. The cartridge will want to see (probably, unless
>> it's a Decca) 47k ohms with a particular capacitance and it will not be happy
>> with any other load.
>
>As a matter of interest, what load should you use with a Decca
>cartridge?

This is a religious issue that I am not sure I want to get into. Personally
with the London Maroon, I like a 22k ohm load, and I think it rings too much
with a higher resistance. I don't recall what the data sheet on the cartridge
specifies... I think it might be 39k. The non-London cartridges I have never
used but they also specify lower load resistances.
--scott

>Cheers.
>
>James.

December 23, 2004 5:36:08 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> James Perrett <James.R.Perrett@soc.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> >As a matter of interest, what load should you use with a Decca
> >cartridge?
>
> This is a religious issue that I am not sure I want to get into. Personally
> with the London Maroon, I like a 22k ohm load, and I think it rings too much
> with a higher resistance. I don't recall what the data sheet on the cartridge
> specifies... I think it might be 39k. The non-London cartridges I have never
> used but they also specify lower load resistances.
> --scott

I have an old ffss mk3 which used to ring too much with the standard
think I have the data sheet somewhere so maybe I should dig it out and
check

Cheers.

James.
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 5:36:09 PM

James Perrett <James.R.Perrett@soc.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>
>> James Perrett <James.R.Perrett@soc.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>> >
>> >As a matter of interest, what load should you use with a Decca
>> >cartridge?
>>
>> This is a religious issue that I am not sure I want to get into. Personally
>> with the London Maroon, I like a 22k ohm load, and I think it rings too much
>> with a higher resistance. I don't recall what the data sheet on the cartridge
>> specifies... I think it might be 39k. The non-London cartridges I have never
>> used but they also specify lower load resistances.
>
>I have an old ffss mk3 which used to ring too much with the standard
>think I have the data sheet somewhere so maybe I should dig it out and
>check

Yes, although you might need to add some load capacitance too. If you have
the Shure S15 test record, play the square wave track and play with the
is set up right first. It will never look all THAT good, but you can fiddle
around and get it as clean as possible.
--scott
December 25, 2004 9:50:17 PM

"James Perrett" <James.R.Perrett@soc.soton.ac.uk> wrote in message
> As a matter of interest, what load should you use with a Decca
> cartridge?

Very little considering they rejected The Beatles ;-)
February 11, 2012 1:09:41 AM

It is quite remarkable how the popularity of "old fashioned" vinyl LP records has grown recently. Besides the aging baby boomers retiring and restoring their long lost and neglected vinyl records storage shelves, there are three more categories of people who are purchasing and listening to vinyl albums, and that keeps the old LP record values and vinyl record prices high.SELL OLD RECORDS
!