using V551 to connect to the internet

Last response: in Brands
May 20, 2005 12:37:43 AM

Hello,

Question 1: Laptop on the internet with V551 dial-up.

I installed the modem, via bluetooth.
Appears in Device Manager, "query modem" works OK.
When I dial out from the computer, from the Dial-up connections, it opens up
the call dialog on the phone(calling my dial up number), but it disapears
after 2-3 seconds. If i call the number manually from the v551, (redial by
buttons), it connects as i can hear all the familiar dial-up sounds in the
speaker. What am i doing wrong? Anybody managed to fix that? I noticed some
users got their palm to access the net like this.

Question 2: V551 on the internet with broadband?

Can I surf the net with my V551 via laptop? The laptop is on cable.
I noticed a bluetooth network icon under my network connections. Can it bo
done?
The phone is all default, no editing or anything. Bluetooth connection only,
no cable. (i'll buy it if I can accomplish one of the above).

Thx in advance.

More about : v551 connect internet

May 20, 2005 1:10:45 PM

It took me two weeks to find this until I finally talked to Victoria
at Cingular, the only person there who knew what she was talking
about.

Put a + at the beginning of your phone number. That turns on the CSD.
You have to have a CSD subscription (about $3.50/month)

It's only 9600 baud but it works.

John

On Thu, 19 May 2005 20:37:43 -0400, "x.C" <email> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>Question 1: Laptop on the internet with V551 dial-up.
>
>I installed the modem, via bluetooth.
>Appears in Device Manager, "query modem" works OK.
>When I dial out from the computer, from the Dial-up connections, it opens up
>the call dialog on the phone(calling my dial up number), but it disapears
>after 2-3 seconds. If i call the number manually from the v551, (redial by
>buttons), it connects as i can hear all the familiar dial-up sounds in the
>speaker. What am i doing wrong? Anybody managed to fix that? I noticed some
>users got their palm to access the net like this.
>
>Question 2: V551 on the internet with broadband?
>
>Can I surf the net with my V551 via laptop? The laptop is on cable.
>I noticed a bluetooth network icon under my network connections. Can it bo
>done?
>The phone is all default, no editing or anything. Bluetooth connection only,
>no cable. (i'll buy it if I can accomplish one of the above).
>
>Thx in advance.

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 5:23:12 PM

i tried that, with a + in front of the number, still drops the call.
This is the error i get: Error 678: The remote computer did not respond.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Did not hear about this CSD before. I will cal them and ask about it.
thx for the replies.

"Spectrum" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> It took me two weeks to find this until I finally talked to Victoria
> at Cingular, the only person there who knew what she was talking
> about.
>
> Put a + at the beginning of your phone number. That turns on the CSD.
> You have to have a CSD subscription (about $3.50/month)
>
> It's only 9600 baud but it works.
>
> John
>

> On Thu, 19 May 2005 20:37:43 -0400, "x.C" <email> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>>Question 1: Laptop on the internet with V551 dial-up.
>>
>>I installed the modem, via bluetooth.
>>Appears in Device Manager, "query modem" works OK.
>>When I dial out from the computer, from the Dial-up connections, it opens
>>up
>>the call dialog on the phone(calling my dial up number), but it disapears
>>after 2-3 seconds. If i call the number manually from the v551, (redial by
>>buttons), it connects as i can hear all the familiar dial-up sounds in the
>>speaker. What am i doing wrong? Anybody managed to fix that? I noticed
>>some
>>users got their palm to access the net like this.
>>
>>Question 2: V551 on the internet with broadband?
>>
>>Can I surf the net with my V551 via laptop? The laptop is on cable.
>>I noticed a bluetooth network icon under my network connections. Can it bo
>>done?
>>The phone is all default, no editing or anything. Bluetooth connection
>>only,
>>no cable. (i'll buy it if I can accomplish one of the above).
>>
>>Thx in advance.

May 20, 2005 5:25:05 PM

what is CSD?
i am trying to use the modem of the phone as a normal modem, no wap or
anything else.

"x.C" <email> wrote in message news:7vadnZPG4cV1gRPfRVn-1A@rogers.com...
>i tried that, with a + in front of the number, still drops the call.
> This is the error i get: Error 678: The remote computer did not respond.
> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>
> Did not hear about this CSD before. I will cal them and ask about it.
> thx for the replies.
>

> "Spectrum" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> It took me two weeks to find this until I finally talked to Victoria
>> at Cingular, the only person there who knew what she was talking
>> about.
>>
>> Put a + at the beginning of your phone number. That turns on the CSD.
>> You have to have a CSD subscription (about $3.50/month)
>>
>> It's only 9600 baud but it works.
>>
>> John
>>

>> On Thu, 19 May 2005 20:37:43 -0400, "x.C" <email> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>>Question 1: Laptop on the internet with V551 dial-up.
>>>
>>>I installed the modem, via bluetooth.
>>>Appears in Device Manager, "query modem" works OK.
>>>When I dial out from the computer, from the Dial-up connections, it opens
>>>up
>>>the call dialog on the phone(calling my dial up number), but it disapears
>>>after 2-3 seconds. If i call the number manually from the v551, (redial
>>>by
>>>buttons), it connects as i can hear all the familiar dial-up sounds in
>>>the
>>>speaker. What am i doing wrong? Anybody managed to fix that? I noticed
>>>some
>>>users got their palm to access the net like this.
>>>
>>>Question 2: V551 on the internet with broadband?
>>>
>>>Can I surf the net with my V551 via laptop? The laptop is on cable.
>>>I noticed a bluetooth network icon under my network connections. Can it
>>>bo
>>>done?
>>>The phone is all default, no editing or anything. Bluetooth connection
>>>only,
>>>no cable. (i'll buy it if I can accomplish one of the above).
>>>
>>>Thx in advance.

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 7:13:06 PM

I just called Cingular and talked to two different people. Both said
they never heard of CSD and it wasn't on their list.
What are my options? Should I be asking for something else that they
may have a different term for?

--
doctordun
May 20, 2005 8:42:06 PM

called rogers, my service provider.
they only deal with wap and gprs.
they heard of CSD, but they told me to call motorola.
i know that some people did it, i just want to know how..:D

"doctordun" <doctordun.1pcjyy@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message
news:D octordun.1pcjyy@nospam.cellphoneforums.net...

> I just called Cingular and talked to two different people. Both said
> they never heard of CSD and it wasn't on their list.
> What are my options? Should I be asking for something else that they
> may have a different term for?
>

> --
> doctordun

May 20, 2005 8:56:11 PM

i even called motorola to confirm that there is no setting to work with on
the phone.
i also asked that maybe it is a hidden feature or a feature enabled on a
newer firmware, well, there is no firmaware but the one that came wit the
phone.
pretty strange anyway.
these people i have been reading about, it is either they lie or they use
gprs.
nobody seems to know about this CSD or any way to use the phone as a regural
modem.

"x.C" <email> wrote in message news:fdWdnYLAxfH-1hPfRVn-gw@rogers.com...
> called rogers, my service provider.
> they only deal with wap and gprs.
> they heard of CSD, but they told me to call motorola.
> i know that some people did it, i just want to know how..:D
>

> "doctordun" <doctordun.1pcjyy@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message
> news:D octordun.1pcjyy@nospam.cellphoneforums.net...
>>
>> I just called Cingular and talked to two different people. Both said
>> they never heard of CSD and it wasn't on their list.
>> What are my options? Should I be asking for something else that they
>> may have a different term for?
>>

>> --
>> doctordun
>> Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
>> View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t176088.html

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 11:05:48 PM

Circuit Switched Data

From:x.C
email

> what is CSD?
> i am trying to use the modem of the phone as a normal modem, no wap or
> anything else.
>
> "x.C" <email> wrote in message
>> i tried that, with a + in front of the number, still drops the call.
>> This is the error i get: Error 678: The remote computer did not
>> respond. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>>
>> Did not hear about this CSD before. I will cal them and ask about it.
>> thx for the replies.
>>

>> "Spectrum" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> It took me two weeks to find this until I finally talked to Victoria
>>> at Cingular, the only person there who knew what she was talking
>>> about.
>>>
>>> Put a + at the beginning of your phone number. That turns on the
>>> CSD. You have to have a CSD subscription (about $3.50/month)
>>>
>>> It's only 9600 baud but it works.
>>>
>>> John

May 23, 2005 2:47:41 PM

You're just not talking to the right person, I guess. CSD is alive and
well and about $3.50/month. I know they prefer to sell you their
service at $1.00/kb or whatever the hell it is. I talked to at least
10 people at Cingular until I found the one fella that said "Oh,
that's simple".

Maybe, instead of using "CSD", you told them you want to make data
calls using your phone as a modem, that might help.

John

On Fri, 20 May 2005 16:56:11 -0400, "x.C" <email> wrote:

>i even called motorola to confirm that there is no setting to work with on
>the phone.
>i also asked that maybe it is a hidden feature or a feature enabled on a
>newer firmware, well, there is no firmaware but the one that came wit the
>phone.
>pretty strange anyway.
>these people i have been reading about, it is either they lie or they use
>gprs.
>nobody seems to know about this CSD or any way to use the phone as a regural
>modem.
>
>"x.C" <email> wrote in message news:fdWdnYLAxfH-1hPfRVn-gw@rogers.com...
>> called rogers, my service provider.
>> they only deal with wap and gprs.
>> they heard of CSD, but they told me to call motorola.
>> i know that some people did it, i just want to know how..:D
>>

>> "doctordun" <doctordun.1pcjyy@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message
>> news:D octordun.1pcjyy@nospam.cellphoneforums.net...
>>>
>>> I just called Cingular and talked to two different people. Both said
>>> they never heard of CSD and it wasn't on their list.
>>> What are my options? Should I be asking for something else that they
>>> may have a different term for?
>>>

>>> --
>>> doctordun
>>> Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
>>> View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t176088.html

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 3:30:00 PM

I finally got hold of someone they told me it now takes a manager to
authorize CSD.
Now that I know I can do it, what is the proceedure to use it?
Do I just set up as a normal modem and add a + to the front of the
number?

--
doctordun
May 24, 2005 9:30:55 PM

you are using a v551?
what did you tell them to enable this data function? it is something in the
phone? or in the network that they have to enable?
nobody seems to know here.

"doctordun" <doctordun.1phtjz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message
news:D octordun.1phtjz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net...

> I finally got hold of someone they told me it now takes a manager to
> authorize CSD.
> Now that I know I can do it, what is the proceedure to use it?
> Do I just set up as a normal modem and add a + to the front of the
> number?
>

> --
> doctordun

May 25, 2005 3:44:43 AM

I told them I wanted to be able to dial my own isp and just use the
minutes instead of data. I had to get to tech support before finding
someone who could help.
I still have to find out how to use it. That's my next quest.

Yes I have a v551.

--
doctordun
May 25, 2005 2:57:33 PM

i called rogers, talked to them for like 30 mins, to 3 diff departments,
nopes, "you must purchase a data plan, otherwise it will not work.". "oh
yes, it will if you give me access!". "no sir, it will not."...oh, i forgot,
i need a cable as well!!....sorry, i use bluetooth. .....no, you need
cable...after explaining them what i need , all of them say "let me get
somebody for you that will help you with your problem"
well, after a very loong time, i got my answer: CSD is no supported by
Rogers AT&T Canada

so much bullshit. i went gprs, 17kb/$.85 WTF
digital age my ass.

"doctordun" <doctordun.1pkm8y@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message
news:D octordun.1pkm8y@nospam.cellphoneforums.net...

> I told them I wanted to be able to dial my own isp and just use the
> minutes instead of data. I had to get to tech support before finding
> someone who could help.
> I still have to find out how to use it. That's my next quest.
>
> Yes I have a v551.
>

> --
> doctordun
Palm or laptop via bluetooth and tell it to dial the number
(+1-217-555-1234) with the +.

John

On Tue, 24 May 2005 23:44:43 -0500, doctordun
<doctordun.1pkm8y@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>I told them I wanted to be able to dial my own isp and just use the
>minutes instead of data. I had to get to tech support before finding
>someone who could help.
>I still have to find out how to use it. That's my next quest.
>
>Yes I have a v551.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 7:11:23 PM

i know what you say, but they told me that in canada, the giant rogers at&t
DOES NOT support CSD.
only gprs and edge.

> If you have CSD enabled (a subscription issue), just connect with your
> Palm or laptop via bluetooth and tell it to dial the number
> (+1-217-555-1234) with the +.
>
> John
>
> On Tue, 24 May 2005 23:44:43 -0500, doctordun
> <doctordun.1pkm8y@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:
>

>>I told them I wanted to be able to dial my own isp and just use the
>>minutes instead of data. I had to get to tech support before finding
>>someone who could help.
>>I still have to find out how to use it. That's my next quest.
>>
>>Yes I have a v551.

Anonymous
May 28, 2005 8:52:51 PM

The "+" at the beginning of the number is for GSM phones to automatically
handle the international dialing code from any country. It it for voice as
well, it does not set up CSD

Circuit Switched Data is an option that uses your voice minutes for data, so
'free' after hours and weekends on many plans. It is limited to 9600 baud.
Some carriers support it (as an option). It is demanding on band width,
meaning while connected, that time slot is not available for other users.
Carriers prefer (some force) you to buy their per-data-transfered GPRS or
EDGE options. Many users can share the bandwidth, same time slots, as load
is very dynamic. Many phones do not support external data connects at all,
some support CSD only, or CSD and GPRS (no edge), or support all 3. "Edge"
support varies by phone model (what download rates, what upload rates).

Lance
***

"x.C" <email> wrote in message news:q4SdnUUrnf8DUAnfRVn-3Q@rogers.com...
> i know what you say, but they told me that in canada, the giant rogers
at&t
> DOES NOT support CSD.
> only gprs and edge.
>
> "Spectrum" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > If you have CSD enabled (a subscription issue), just connect with your
> > Palm or laptop via bluetooth and tell it to dial the number
> > (+1-217-555-1234) with the +.
> >
> > John
> >
> > On Tue, 24 May 2005 23:44:43 -0500, doctordun
> > <doctordun.1pkm8y@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:
> >

> >>I told them I wanted to be able to dial my own isp and just use the
> >>minutes instead of data. I had to get to tech support before finding
> >>someone who could help.
> >>I still have to find out how to use it. That's my next quest.
> >>
> >>Yes I have a v551.

Anonymous
May 29, 2005 4:25:52 PM

Hi,
Did you ever get this resolved?

I'm having the exact same problem. Using Laptop to connect to my V551,
modem queries are okay. I'm able to able to transfer video and photos
so it appears that my bluetooth connection is working properly.

When I first establish my dial-up connection, my phone responds with
the standard security prompt which I GRANT to have the session
established. The number then tries to dial (see it on the phone) by
nothing happens and I get the error 678 and disconnect?

--
rkilgor
May 29, 2005 7:57:57 PM

I did. I followed another's advice and used "CingularSetup_4_2_7_1"
which is their program to setup between and pc and the phone. One note,
you need to have the phone already paired and you will use the Serial
Connection choice with the software.
I has worked fine for the last 24 hours. I too have unlimited data
services.

--
doctordun
May 29, 2005 9:28:33 PM

Thank you so much for the advice, I downloaded the latest Connection
Manager from Cingular (4_2_7_1) and connected right up once I
configured the serial connection with the devices paired. You would
have thought the Cingular salesman would have told me about the
software when I bought the phone?

Next step is to get the VPN connection going so I can get through to
the corporate eMail (my typical airport routine). Working on it now
otherwise normal web pages work great!

Thanks once again, especially for the prompt reply on a holiday
weekend!!!

--
rkilgor
May 29, 2005 9:47:06 PM

You are welcome. I was told by the Cingular help people to go to a
Bluetooth Help Line since they didn't support this. It shows how much
they know about their own products and service. I had to find out by
surfing different forums. That's where the real knowledge is.

--
doctordun
June 24, 2005 10:15:11 PM

Someone told me at Cingular that when you use your phone as a dial-up
modem and you subscribe to CSD, it takes away your anytime minutes even
if you are using it during nights and weekends.

Do you know if this is true?

-Aaron

--
hicksticks2001
though - and it probably takes minutes away too. Call 1-800-CINGULAR and
they will tell you - open 24 hrs/day

"hicksticks2001" <hicksticks2001.1r5mc3@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in
message news:hicksticks2001.1r5mc3@nospam.cellphoneforums.net...

> Someone told me at Cingular that when you use your phone as a dial-up
> modem and you subscribe to CSD, it takes away your anytime minutes even
> if you are using it during nights and weekends.
>
> Do you know if this is true?
>
> -Aaron
>

> --
> hicksticks2001

July 10, 2005 4:49:01 AM

that is gprs or edge - no time charged, only bandwidth.
on CSD, only minutes and no data charges.

on gprs you can get ~100kbs/sec, edge even 300 kbs (if available in your
area)
on CSD 9600 bauds.

"Jackson" <jlmeehan@charter.net> wrote in message
>I just called Cingular on that yesterday and they told me that you DO NOT
>have to subscribe to anything. There is a charge of $0.11/Kb of data
>though - and it probably takes minutes away too. Call 1-800-CINGULAR and
>they will tell you - open 24 hrs/day
>
> "hicksticks2001" <hicksticks2001.1r5mc3@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote
> in message news:hicksticks2001.1r5mc3@nospam.cellphoneforums.net...
>>
>> Someone told me at Cingular that when you use your phone as a dial-up
>> modem and you subscribe to CSD, it takes away your anytime minutes even
>> if you are using it during nights and weekends.
>>
>> Do you know if this is true?
>>
>> -Aaron
>>

>> --
>> hicksticks2001
>> Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
>> View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t176088.html

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 10:20:44 AM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <koidnT7MctoKNU3fRVn-ug@rogers.com> on Sun, 10 Jul 2005 00:49:01 -0400,
"x.C" <email> wrote:

>on gprs you can get ~100kbs/sec, edge even 300 kbs (if available in your
>area)

FYI:
GPRS is only good for about 5.4 Kbytes/sec (44 Kbps)
EGPRS (EDGE) is only good for about 18.6 KBytes/sec (150 Kbps)

July 10, 2005 10:20:45 AM

http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/gprs/intro.shtml#1a

Theoretical maximum speeds of up to 171.2 kilobits per second (kbps) are
achievable with GPRS using all eight timeslots at the same time. This is
about three times as fast as the data transmission speeds possible over
today's fixed telecommunications networks and ten times as fast as current
Circuit Switched Data services on GSM networks. By allowing information to
be transmitted more quickly, immediately and efficiently across the mobile
network, GPRS may well be a relatively less costly mobile data service
compared to SMS and Circuit Switched Data.

http://www.cellular.co.za/edge.htm

It will allow GSM operators to use existing GSM radio bands to offer
wireless multimedia IP-based services and applications at theoretical
maximum speeds of 384 kbps with a bit-rate of 48 kbps per timeslot and up to
69.2 kbps per timeslot in good radio conditions

just google at a glance.

> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <koidnT7MctoKNU3fRVn-ug@rogers.com> on Sun, 10 Jul 2005 00:49:01 -0400,
> "x.C" <email> wrote:
>
>>on gprs you can get ~100kbs/sec, edge even 300 kbs (if available in your
>>area)
>
> FYI:
> GPRS is only good for about 5.4 Kbytes/sec (44 Kbps)
> EGPRS (EDGE) is only good for about 18.6 KBytes/sec (150 Kbps)

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 7:42:59 PM

In the Real World(tm), no carrier implements the maximum theoretical speed.
The numbers I gave (quoted below) are correct, the best achievable in the Real
World, as measured by Real Equipment on Real Networks. :)

p.s. In the future, please don't change posting styles in mid-thread -- it's
both rude and confusing. Thanks.

In <IbqdnddLntEhfE3fRVn-iQ@rogers.com> on Sun, 10 Jul 2005 04:52:38 -0400,
"x.C" <email> wrote:

>http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/gprs/intro.shtml#1a
>
> Theoretical maximum speeds of up to 171.2 kilobits per second (kbps) are
>achievable with GPRS using all eight timeslots at the same time. This is
>about three times as fast as the data transmission speeds possible over
>today's fixed telecommunications networks and ten times as fast as current
>Circuit Switched Data services on GSM networks. By allowing information to
>be transmitted more quickly, immediately and efficiently across the mobile
>network, GPRS may well be a relatively less costly mobile data service
>compared to SMS and Circuit Switched Data.
>
>http://www.cellular.co.za/edge.htm
>
> It will allow GSM operators to use existing GSM radio bands to offer
>wireless multimedia IP-based services and applications at theoretical
>maximum speeds of 384 kbps with a bit-rate of 48 kbps per timeslot and up to
>69.2 kbps per timeslot in good radio conditions
>
>just google at a glance.

>> FYI:
>> GPRS is only good for about 5.4 Kbytes/sec (44 Kbps)
>> EGPRS (EDGE) is only good for about 18.6 KBytes/sec (150 Kbps)

July 10, 2005 7:43:00 PM

oh, get a life.

> In the Real World(tm), no carrier implements the maximum theoretical
> speed.
> The numbers I gave (quoted below) are correct, the best achievable in the
> Real
> World, as measured by Real Equipment on Real Networks. :)
>
> p.s. In the future, please don't change posting styles in mid-thread --
> it's
> both rude and confusing. Thanks.
>
> In <IbqdnddLntEhfE3fRVn-iQ@rogers.com> on Sun, 10 Jul 2005 04:52:38 -0400,
> "x.C" <email> wrote:
>
>>http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/gprs/intro.shtml#1a
>>
>> Theoretical maximum speeds of up to 171.2 kilobits per second (kbps) are
>>achievable with GPRS using all eight timeslots at the same time. This is
>>about three times as fast as the data transmission speeds possible over
>>today's fixed telecommunications networks and ten times as fast as current
>>Circuit Switched Data services on GSM networks. By allowing information to
>>be transmitted more quickly, immediately and efficiently across the mobile
>>network, GPRS may well be a relatively less costly mobile data service
>>compared to SMS and Circuit Switched Data.
>>
>>http://www.cellular.co.za/edge.htm
>>
>> It will allow GSM operators to use existing GSM radio bands to offer
>>wireless multimedia IP-based services and applications at theoretical
>>maximum speeds of 384 kbps with a bit-rate of 48 kbps per timeslot and up
>>69.2 kbps per timeslot in good radio conditions
>>
>>just google at a glance.
>
>>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>
>>> FYI:
>>> GPRS is only good for about 5.4 Kbytes/sec (44 Kbps)
>>> EGPRS (EDGE) is only good for about 18.6 KBytes/sec (150 Kbps)

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 2:41:57 AM

I'm not the one living in Fantasyland. ;-)

In <J8qdnfk2vLel80zfRVn-ow@rogers.com> on Sun, 10 Jul 2005 14:52:39 -0400,
"x.C" <email> wrote:

>oh, get a life.

>> In the Real World(tm), no carrier implements the maximum theoretical
>> speed.
>> The numbers I gave (quoted below) are correct, the best achievable in the
>> Real
>> World, as measured by Real Equipment on Real Networks. :)
>>
>> p.s. In the future, please don't change posting styles in mid-thread --
>> it's
>> both rude and confusing. Thanks.
>>
>> In <IbqdnddLntEhfE3fRVn-iQ@rogers.com> on Sun, 10 Jul 2005 04:52:38 -0400,
>> "x.C" <email> wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/gprs/intro.shtml#1a
>>>
>>> Theoretical maximum speeds of up to 171.2 kilobits per second (kbps) are
>>>achievable with GPRS using all eight timeslots at the same time. This is
>>>about three times as fast as the data transmission speeds possible over
>>>today's fixed telecommunications networks and ten times as fast as current
>>>Circuit Switched Data services on GSM networks. By allowing information to
>>>be transmitted more quickly, immediately and efficiently across the mobile
>>>network, GPRS may well be a relatively less costly mobile data service
>>>compared to SMS and Circuit Switched Data.
>>>
>>>http://www.cellular.co.za/edge.htm
>>>
>>> It will allow GSM operators to use existing GSM radio bands to offer
>>>wireless multimedia IP-based services and applications at theoretical
>>>maximum speeds of 384 kbps with a bit-rate of 48 kbps per timeslot and up
>>>69.2 kbps per timeslot in good radio conditions
>>>
>>>just google at a glance.
>>
>>>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>> --
>> Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
>> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;

July 18, 2005 7:14:17 PM

To all - to get help with Data Connect issues with Cingular call their
Data Connect tech support at 866-490-2666. They know a lot more than
your basic customer service who usually have little to no technical
expertise.

I connect to the internet using my Pocket PC and desktop PC through my
Motorola v551 via bluetooth. It uses my minutes not data. I use it to
connect on the weekends and nights, etc. However, I can't get my
phones browser to connect via CSD - it defaults to GPRS and tech
support says that they don't provide technical help for this, but I am
free to figure it out on my own. I figured it out just fine on my Sony
Ericcsson T637, but I can't figure it out on my Motorola v551. Cingular
doesn't wants people to use GPRS so they can charge me for the data. I
was told by a technician that they are told not to help people with
this even if they know how to do it. If anyone has gotten a v551 to be
able to connect with it's built in browser to the internet using CSD,
let me know.

--
JoshNelson
!