Subwoofer EQ

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
December 20, 2004 11:44:29 AM

Can someone inform me about the available devices to EQ subwoofers, if they
are any good,noisey etc?........thanx

--
www.williamperitore.com

More about : subwoofer

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 4:52:06 PM

"BP" wgtp1@rcn.com wrote:

>Can someone inform me about the available devices to EQ subwoofers, if they
>are any good,noisey etc?........thanx
>
>--
>www.williamperitore.com

The most useful device of which I'm aware is the Symmetix 551E (and 552E which
is the 2 channel version.) It's a regular 5-band parametric EQ but with the
advantage that each of the 5 bands can be set to a center frequency as low as
10 Hz. Most EQ devices the lowest band center frequency will be 20 Hz. I bought
mine new several years ago for $250 or so each.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 4:52:07 PM

"Nousaine" <nousaine@aol.com> wrote in message
> "BP" wgtp1@rcn.com wrote:
>

>> Can someone inform me about the available devices to EQ subwoofers,
>> if they are any good,noisey etc?........thanx
>>
>> --
>> www.williamperitore.com
>
> The most useful device of which I'm aware is the Symmetix 551E (and
> 552E which is the 2 channel version.) It's a regular 5-band
> parametric EQ but with the advantage that each of the 5 bands can be
> set to a center frequency as low as 10 Hz.

Sounds neat. Unfortunately, its out of production. The closest thing in the
Symmetrix line is a DSP that runs about twice as much. I checked eBay, and
came up dry.

>Most EQ devices the lowest band center frequency will be 20 Hz.

Not only that, they often have pretty sharp roll-offs below 20 Hz. This is
either the good news or bad news depending on how robust your sub is.
Putting a 20 Hz hi pass on your personal sub Tom would be a grotesque waste.
For someone with a smaller more typical sub, it might be just the ticket.

At the price, its hard to beat a Behringer PEQ 2200. It rolls off below 15
Hz or so.

> I bought mine new several years > ago for $250 or so each.

Those days appear to be gone.
!