Recording gtr amp

Last response: in Home Audio
December 20, 2004 2:29:38 PM

I am finally in the position to get one of my favorite amps - Fender Hot Rod
Deluxe - mostly for recording. I happen to prefer the 4x10 version over the
2x12 for live performance but I was wondering how you guys feel about the
4x10 for recording? Usually I would put a mic right up to one speaker and
thought that a 12" might record better than a 10". Any thoughts?

Neil R

More about : recording gtr amp

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 3:07:01 PM

That's an awfully loud amp for the studio, IMO. Why not get something
more low-watts with better tone.

Al

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:29:38 -0800, "Neil Rutman"
<neilrutman@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>I am finally in the position to get one of my favorite amps - Fender Hot Rod
>Deluxe - mostly for recording. I happen to prefer the 4x10 version over the
>2x12 for live performance but I was wondering how you guys feel about the
>4x10 for recording? Usually I would put a mic right up to one speaker and
>thought that a 12" might record better than a 10". Any thoughts?
>
>Neil R

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 10:12:50 PM

In article <CK2dnfpnWfzKulrcRVn-3w@speakeasy.net>,
"Neil Rutman" <neilrutman@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> I am finally in the position to get one of my favorite amps - Fender Hot Rod
> Deluxe - mostly for recording. I happen to prefer the 4x10 version over the
> 2x12 for live performance but I was wondering how you guys feel about the
> 4x10 for recording? Usually I would put a mic right up to one speaker and
> thought that a 12" might record better than a 10". Any thoughts?

before you commit to buying it, rent one for a week and then do some
test recording with it in your studio. Do likewise with the 2x12 version
and see what results you get.

Come to think of it, why not also buy a 2x12 or 1x12 cabinet, then hook
that up to the Deluxe and mike that?

I'm sure it'll sound fine - people have recorded with Fender Bassman
4x10s for years and gotten good results. :)

You might also consider buying a small amp for getting a different
sound to add variance to your tones - one cheap option would be Vox's
Brian May Signature amp, which not only has a unique tone of its own, it
also has the capability to run it through an external cabinet.

--
Dan Dreibelbis, Guitar Nerd - Better Living Through Home Recording
Now On Soundclick for your listening pleasure!

The best amp is the one the player is used to. It is his sound. If he is
going to change this, it should be done long before the day he steps
into the studio to record.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 11:20:36 PM

playon wrote:
> That's an awfully loud amp for the studio, IMO. Why not get something
> more low-watts with better tone.
>
> Al
>
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:29:38 -0800, "Neil Rutman"
> <neilrutman@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>

>>I am finally in the position to get one of my favorite amps - Fender Hot Rod
>>Deluxe - mostly for recording. I happen to prefer the 4x10 version over the
>>2x12 for live performance but I was wondering how you guys feel about the
>>4x10 for recording? Usually I would put a mic right up to one speaker and
>>thought that a 12" might record better than a 10". Any thoughts?
>>
>>Neil R

....like a Fender Pro Junior.
Great little recording amp with excellent tone.
Pretty inexpensive to boot.

John Noll
Retromedia Sound Studios
Red Bank, NJ

jn145_deletethisfirst_@verizon.net

http://www.retromedia.net
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 10:25:44 AM

x-no-archive: yes
Neil Rutman wrote:

> I am finally in the position to get one of my favorite amps - Fender Hot Rod
> Deluxe - mostly for recording. I happen to prefer the 4x10 version over the
> 2x12 for live performance but I was wondering how you guys feel about the
> 4x10 for recording? Usually I would put a mic right up to one speaker and
> thought that a 12" might record better than a 10". Any thoughts?
>
> Neil R

That would be the HR DeVille, not the Deluxe. The
Deluxe is 1-12" only - or at least used to be.

They'll sound different. If you want to split your
options, find a Marshall 1936 2X12 cab to go with the
4X10 - all the HR series I've seen allow unplugging
the speakers and cabling to the extension cab.

And for those particular amps, you'll get a much wider
variety of sounds if you'll obtain an MXR DynaComp or
other stompbox compressor in the F/X loop ( where it's
not really 'sposed to be ). You don't have to use any
compression, just use it as a volume control. Gives
the thing more legs at lower volume. There's good
separation between the power and preamp sections.
Both the Deluxe and Deville are pretty loud.

--
Les Cargill
!