Windows won't load drivers for network adapters...

squiglybob13

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
I am at a total loss here :( and sorry if this is in the wrong section I didn't know where else it would go....

Anyways my problem is that my vaio is running Windows 7 64bit and suddenly one morning NONE of the network adapters were working. No WiFi, no ethernet, no nothing. I figured something just happened to the drivers (happened before) so i'd just reinstall them...except this time I'm hit with:

Code:
This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

I have tried everything short of a full restore. I tried downloading the drivers straight from Sony, just the driver files for Atheros, I can't do a restore point since I don't have any from before the problem. I have searched everywhere for a working solution but haven't found anything yet. I would like to avoid sending it in.....it's still under warranty but I don't have a Sony store near me and I'm gonna be going out of town in a couple weeks...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! If you need any more info just ask! Thanks!

the wifi driver is different than the lan driver. different chipset, different manufacturer. I think it is something more serious than just reinstalling the drivers. I recommend backing up your data and doing a full system restore.

check that the mb chipset drivers are installed..you can also update them..i would check that the onboard lan and wifi card is tuned on. you may have also pick up a virus..i run malware buyte and online scanner...i would check to see how old you anti virus is if it out of date there a few free ones..avg/avast/mse.

squiglybob13

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

Yea I've been dreading a full restore but I've found that may be what it'll come to. It will have to wait tho as I have nothing to backup everything up to at the moment....

yea right now I have running MalwareBytes, Super Antispyware, and ESET Smart Security so I'll see if I can update them offline and run a full scan on each. I tried updating the drivers, reinstalling them and neither had any effect. And yes I made sure they were on cuz I've bumped the switch before lol

So I'll run scans and post back with an update. Thanks guys! :)

squiglybob13

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Well I ran a full system scan on all three and came up with minor stuff but not the problem. I restarted and then tried reinstalling but with no luck. I guess my only other option is to restore windows unless somebody else wants to take a crack at it? I can't restore til I get some sort of external media so it'll be a little while....

Thanks for the help! :)

If you've plenty unused space on your HDD create a new partition to back up your data then re-install Windows...