Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows won't load drivers for network adapters...

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
May 30, 2012 8:15:11 PM

I am at a total loss here :(  and sorry if this is in the wrong section I didn't know where else it would go....

Anyways my problem is that my vaio is running Windows 7 64bit and suddenly one morning NONE of the network adapters were working. No WiFi, no ethernet, no nothing. I figured something just happened to the drivers (happened before) so i'd just reinstall them...except this time I'm hit with:

  1. This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)


I have tried everything short of a full restore. I tried downloading the drivers straight from Sony, just the driver files for Atheros, I can't do a restore point since I don't have any from before the problem. I have searched everywhere for a working solution but haven't found anything yet. I would like to avoid sending it in.....it's still under warranty but I don't have a Sony store near me and I'm gonna be going out of town in a couple weeks...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! If you need any more info just ask! Thanks!
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
May 30, 2012 9:39:29 PM

the wifi driver is different than the lan driver. different chipset, different manufacturer. I think it is something more serious than just reinstalling the drivers. I recommend backing up your data and doing a full system restore.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
May 30, 2012 9:53:12 PM

check that the mb chipset drivers are installed..you can also update them..i would check that the onboard lan and wifi card is tuned on. you may have also pick up a virus..i run malware buyte and online scanner...i would check to see how old you anti virus is if it out of date there a few free ones..avg/avast/mse.
Related resources
May 31, 2012 1:02:35 AM

nhasian said:
the wifi driver is different than the lan driver. different chipset, different manufacturer. I think it is something more serious than just reinstalling the drivers. I recommend backing up your data and doing a full system restore.


Yea I've been dreading a full restore but I've found that may be what it'll come to. It will have to wait tho as I have nothing to backup everything up to at the moment....

smorizio said:
check that the mb chipset drivers are installed..you can also update them..i would check that the onboard lan and wifi card is tuned on. you may have also pick up a virus..i run malware buyte and online scanner...i would check to see how old you anti virus is if it out of date there a few free ones..avg/avast/mse.


yea right now I have running MalwareBytes, Super Antispyware, and ESET Smart Security so I'll see if I can update them offline and run a full scan on each. I tried updating the drivers, reinstalling them and neither had any effect. And yes I made sure they were on cuz I've bumped the switch before lol

So I'll run scans and post back with an update. Thanks guys! :) 
June 1, 2012 9:00:33 AM

Well I ran a full system scan on all three and came up with minor stuff but not the problem. I restarted and then tried reinstalling but with no luck. I guess my only other option is to restore windows unless somebody else wants to take a crack at it? I can't restore til I get some sort of external media so it'll be a little while....

Thanks for the help! :) 
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
June 1, 2012 9:10:24 AM

let me know if the system restore fixes your problem :) 
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
June 1, 2012 9:41:03 AM

squiglybob13 said:
Well I ran a full system scan on all three and came up with minor stuff but not the problem. I restarted and then tried reinstalling but with no luck. I guess my only other option is to restore windows unless somebody else wants to take a crack at it? I can't restore til I get some sort of external media so it'll be a little while....

Thanks for the help! :) 

If you've plenty unused space on your HDD create a new partition to back up your data then re-install Windows...
!