Sign in with
Your question

Password protected Sata Drive

Last response: in Windows 7
May 30, 2012 10:13:23 PM

Hello,
Vostro 3500 win 7 32-bit Laptop crashed. (2 hrs before nightly backup)
After running antivirus boot software, data saved and files were visible on hard drive, which was good news, as data is critical.
However, when the tech arrived, in response to service call request made by laptop mfg., he replaced motherboard. He also replaced the hard drive, (which was password protected) I had set it on BIOS when laptop was first purchased). The tech also re-installed Win7. I was told that I just had to connect drive via USB and copy files to new external hard drive.
I attached the password protected drive, via Sabrent USB adapter), to original laptop. win7 won’t recognize drive and disk management shows unallocated!!! (I am thinking because of it being password protected, am I right?)
Now how do I get the data??? I know someone out there has come across this found a solution, right?

More about : password protected sata drive

a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
May 30, 2012 10:39:25 PM

dont think you can unpassword a hard drive thats been passworded in the bios without putting it back in the original laptop and

removing the password in the bios

even if i did know how to remove the password the rules here are no password removal allowed as every other post is from

some newcomer whos forgotten the password to something or other--and we have no way to know who owns what

edit--heres the rules

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/57950-20-read-first

m
l
June 8, 2012 2:11:11 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
dont think you can unpassword a hard drive thats been passworded in the bios without putting it back in the original laptop and

removing the password in the bios

even if i did know how to remove the password the rules here are no password removal allowed as every other post is from

some newcomer whos forgotten the password to something or other--and we have no way to know who owns what

edit--heres the rules

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/57950-20-read-first

thanks for reply..

As a last option, a data recovery service was able to retrieve my 500 plus GB of data! (Worth the cost!!)
Besides a nightly hard drive backup, all files are also backed up to a cloud server as well!!!
I am glad that this nightmare is over..
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
June 8, 2012 2:25:46 PM

glad you got the data back

always back up important stuff to several different places to be safe--you know that now obviously :D 

easy and cheap to do nowadays with external drives being cheap and internet storage being readily available
m
l
!