Best wireless adapter for windows8 desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

feliciafantasyart

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
belkin Ac wifi dual band usb adapter bet up to 867 mbps bands 2.4ghz or 5 ghz. model F9L1106v1. drivers are the latest. AMD FX-4100 3.6 ghz processor 65 bit quad core. 8b, 1 tb hard drive, drive graphcs amd radeon hd 7750, 1 gb ethernet gibait ethernet power supply 300W operating system. Linksys router 2.4 ghz. Are there any wireless adapators made specifically for windows 8? Internet keeps going out but the other 2 computers stay at 4 bars. Previously, had four computers running with lynsys router so is there a problem with windows 8 compatibility? Also, tried a netgear wireless adaptor. it worked worse. PLEASE help. sent requests for help to belkin, WOW, new egg (purchased from), windows and will be contacting ibuycomputer. It stops with download from wow also sent request to them for suggestions. but internet keeps going out. other computers on lynksys getting 4 bar connectivity most of the time. Suggestions?

chrisfid

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

I searched and found http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=451 let me know if this works :)

I doubt that there are wireless adapters that are made specificly for Windows 8, usually when a part is made for a computer it is tested with various Operating Systems and then when it is packaged for retail sale the Operating Systems that you can use the item with are listed in the systam requitements on the side of the box.
You won't find a manufacturer that will make a product for a specific OS because they would be limiting their sales.
Your problem may be the power supply that is in that computer , 300w is really a low amount of watts and the OS may be shutting things off or reducing power to certian parts to conserve power. You should go into your power plan and change the settings so that the network adapter is not turned off or that power is reduced to it. You can make a high power custom power plan so that power is not shut off to certian parts.
You should consider a 500w PSU.

PallindroneT3604

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
My final solution was to download the whole set-up prog and go to "Programs & Features"->"Run Programs Made For Previous Versions Of Windows"->"Next"-> "Not Listed"->"Next"-> "Browse" (here, if you downloaded the prog, make sure you unpacked it/unzip it here as well---my case, "Downloads"->"WUSB54GSCv2_20080804")->"WUSB54GSC2-20080804"(*unzipped here)->select "Set-up"->"Next"(back at the Compatibility Wizard)-"Troubleshoot Program"--> make sure here you select "The program worked with earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now" and "The program requires additional permissions"->"Windows XP Service Pack3"(this is important, as it is an XP driver)->"Test The Program" and continue the set-up...AND do this in Administrator's Level...I got the adapter to then install, w/XP driver in Compatibility Mode and running flawlessly after the set-up!!Try it & Good Luck!!!!! The key is trying the Compatibility mode in Windows 8 in right order,I believe......it WILL work for this adapter!

Status
Not open for further replies.