Make a DAT alignment tape?

Can I make a DAT alignment tape? I have a known to be perfectly good
Tascam DA30 MKII, a scope and I saw the guy hook up the test probe.
Using wavelab what kind of a wave at what level would I generate to
make the tape? The guy just help a swab with cleaner on the back of
the head and waited till the output looked like a square block. Thanks
as always, s.
4 answers Last reply
More about make alignment tape

    No. Alignment tapes are not just a blank recording. A recording contains
    tracking data that enable the DAT player to follow the recorded tracks and
    adjust itself to keep the playback head perfectly on track. Alignment tapes
    have this information removed so that on playback the heads are free running
    and don't lock onto the recorded information. Because the alignment tape is
    precisely made, the angle, start and finish points of the recorded tracks is
    exactly where it should be, and any misalignment of the playback machine
    will show a distorted waveform, a bit like a television with no vertical or
    horizontal hold signals.

    Gareth.

    "spud" <mrmasontrashdjp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Can I make a DAT alignment tape? I have a known to be perfectly good
    > Tascam DA30 MKII, a scope and I saw the guy hook up the test probe.
    > Using wavelab what kind of a wave at what level would I generate to
    > make the tape? The guy just help a swab with cleaner on the back of
    > the head and waited till the output looked like a square block. Thanks
    > as always, s.

    "spud" <mrmasontrashdjp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Can I make a DAT alignment tape? I have a known to be perfectly good
    > Tascam DA30 MKII, a scope and I saw the guy hook up the test probe.
    > Using wavelab what kind of a wave at what level would I generate to
    > make the tape? The guy just help a swab with cleaner on the back of
    > the head and waited till the output looked like a square block. Thanks
    > as always, s.

    No, you can't. The alignment tape contains not only accurate tracks, but
    various kinds of inaccurate tracks as well. You need more than just the
    precise eye pattern (and you also need an eye pattern that is MUCH more
    precise than a 'perfectly good DA30' will give you.

    I will tell a story. Someone in China bought a lathe somewhere, which had
    a very good leadscrew on it. They used it to make the leadscrew for a
    lathe, which they sold to a lathe making plant. The lathe there was used
    to make a leadscrew for a lathe, which was then imported and sold at Harbor
    Freight, and it was totally useless because it had been calibrated against
    an inaccurate reference. This is why you need a first generation standard
    tape, and it's part of why the first generation standard tape is so expensive.
    --scott

    On 21 Dec 2004 11:22:48 -0500, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

    >"spud" <mrmasontrashdjp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Can I make a DAT alignment tape? I have a known to be perfectly good
    >> Tascam DA30 MKII, a scope and I saw the guy hook up the test probe.
    >> Using wavelab what kind of a wave at what level would I generate to
    >> make the tape? The guy just help a swab with cleaner on the back of
    >> the head and waited till the output looked like a square block. Thanks
    >> as always, s.
    >
    >No, you can't. The alignment tape contains not only accurate tracks, but
    >various kinds of inaccurate tracks as well. You need more than just the
    >precise eye pattern (and you also need an eye pattern that is MUCH more
    >precise than a 'perfectly good DA30' will give you.
    >
    >I will tell a story. Someone in China bought a lathe somewhere, which had
    >a very good leadscrew on it. They used it to make the leadscrew for a
    >lathe, which they sold to a lathe making plant. The lathe there was used
    >to make a leadscrew for a lathe, which was then imported and sold at Harbor
    >Freight, and it was totally useless because it had been calibrated against
    >an inaccurate reference. This is why you need a first generation standard
    >tape, and it's part of why the first generation standard tape is so expensive.
    >--scott

    Thank you for the story, Scott.

    The guy just help a swab with cleaner on the back of
    > the head and waited till the output looked like a square block. Thanks
    > as always, s.

    The above is actually a good way to test for dirty heads, though nothing
    whatsoever to do with alignment. Just play any tape and observe the RF
    waveform with a scope. If they are very dirty you will be able to see the
    waveforms shifting around, or be able to see that one head output is much
    lower than the other, or missing altogether. (A DAT head is actually 2
    heads diametrically opposed). A good signal will contain 2 solid square
    looking waveforms - head A followed by head B. (one is usually a bit lower
    than the other, nothing to worry about).

    Gareth.

Pro Audio Audio