Upgrading an acer 5315 to windows 7

Rethomas1972

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Hello,
I have an acer Aspire 5315-2826 and a Windows 7 upgrade kit. WShen I tried to install it the 5315 is not listed. Acer was no help.

Anyone know if there is a way to use the upgrade kit.

saran008

Distinguished
Even though your acer is not listed in Win 7 upgrade, you can install Win 7 on your system.

Most of the drivers will be loaded default in Win 7. Check for the latest driver updates for any other hardwares if you use, like printer, web cam etc.,

most of the vista drivers are supported by Win 7!

It is worth to give a try with installing win 7!

This guide may help you!

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

JefUK

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2004

To get the best from Win7 on an Acer laptop it is best to do a clean install.

I have just updated an Acer 5680 from the original Vista installation to Win7 with a clean install and by replacing the old 5400rpm drive with a Seagate Momentus 7200.4 HDD. The laptop now boots in less than 1/2 the time it took before and is more responsive in use. The laptop is now a pleasure to use. I got benefit from:

- a fresh install of the OS
- the faster/leaner Win7
- a faster HDD
- and removing all the Acer junk software

Be aware of one thing: make sure you create your recovery media BEFORE you proceed with the upgrade. If for some reason you want to go back to Vista, you'll need those discs.

Windows 7 will hijack your Acer recovery partition and use it for it's own. This is why you should create the recovery discs... it is better to remove the Acer partition and recreate any partitions you need... Windows 7 will automatically grab the first 100MB for itself (as a recovery partition). Of course, if you replace the hard drive as the above poster did, you won't have to worry about it. I had an issue with mine as Win 7 hijacked the Acer partition, then it decided it would make my D: (DATA) partition a Compaq Recovery partition to make up for the fact it that it hijacked the Acer one.

Needless to say, I backed up all files on the Acer partition(s) and blew everything away to load Windows 7 fresh. I don't have my recovery media, but then I don't plan on going back to Vista anyway.