earthworks drum micing kit?

Last response: in Home Audio
December 21, 2004 10:37:56 PM

I saw an advertisement for the earthworks three mic kit for drums... anyone
try it?

Now available: new Particle Salad CD "The Track Inside."

See http://www.particlesalad.com for more info.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 11:46:40 PM

In article <oY_xd.1298$yV1.1248@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com> mark@particlesalad.com writes:

> I saw an advertisement for the earthworks three mic kit for drums... anyone
> try it?

No, but it's pretty expesnsive (around $2,000), not in the same class
as the $199 5-mic kits. I suppose that anyone who has miked a drum kit
with three omnis will have a pretty good idea of what it can do.

December 22, 2004 1:30:34 AM

Particle Salad wrote:

> I saw an advertisement for the earthworks three mic kit for drums... anyone
> try it?

Yes, I love Earthworks mics. I think it's a great kit. I do think the
Kick Pad that is included is kind of a "smoke and mirrors" deal though.
It's just a 500Hz (or so) cut with an 8kHz (or so) boost, with a 15db
(or so) pad. Why should I pay $100 for something I can already do on my
input channel?

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 1:18:52 AM

In article <znr1103672381k@trad>, Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:
>In article <oY_xd.1298$yV1.1248@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com> mark@particlesalad.com writes:
>
>> I saw an advertisement for the earthworks three mic kit for drums... anyone
>> try it?
>
>No, but it's pretty expesnsive (around $2,000), not in the same class
>as the $199 5-mic kits. I suppose that anyone who has miked a drum kit
>with three omnis will have a pretty good idea of what it can do.

For $2k, though, you might get a pair of Schoeps omnis for overheads on the
used market, with enough left over for a 421L for the kick.
--scott