Yamaha Aquires Steinberg

http://news.harmony-central.com/News/2004/Yamaha-Acquires-Steinberg.html
Good news?
Bad?
Indifferent?

My vote goes to bad.

later,
More about yamaha aquires steinberg

    I dunno if it's bad, Yamaha is a pretty good company.

    Al

    In article <1103664206.031734.28450@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    mwood5nospam@yahoo.com says...

    > My vote goes to bad.

    Why?

    This seems like VERY good news. Pinnacle was obviously pushing
    Steinberg releases out the door, at the significant expensive of quality
    - every single point-oh release since Pinnacle has been a buggy
    disaster, with basic things like *playing the same audio that's shown*
    broken.

    Yamaha has deep pockets, knows audio, and isn't Digidesign. What more
    could we want?

    --
    Jay Levitt |
    Wellesley, MA | Hi!

    There goes the neighborhood.

    In article <1103664206.031734.28450@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> mwood5nospam@yahoo.com writes:

    > Good news?
    > Bad?
    > Indifferent?

    Didn't Pinnacle just acquire them a short time ago? Did Yamaha gobble
    up Pinnacle, or did Pinnacle sell Steinberg to Yamaha?

    In any case, look for good integration between Nuendo and the DM
    series consoles.

    <mwood5nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > http://news.harmony-central.com/News/2004/Yamaha-Acquires-Steinberg.html
    > Good news?
    > Bad?
    > Indifferent?
    >
    > My vote goes to bad.
    >
    > later,

    Very interesting... as a long time Cubase/SX user, this will be very
    significant. Steinberg has made significant strides lately in support,
    updates, stability, etc... here's hoping Yamaha continues the process!

    I predict some significant support by Steinberg for mlan...

    hmmmmmm yamaha now in control of the VST and ASIO "standards"... That's
    gotta make some of the soundcard manufacturer's worried. I further predict
    new emphasis on supprt for WDM and DXi.

    <mwood5nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > http://news.harmony-central.com/News/2004/Yamaha-Acquires-Steinberg.html
    > Good news?
    > Bad?
    > Indifferent?
    >
    > My vote goes to bad.
    >
    > later,

    <mwood5nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > http://news.harmony-central.com/News/2004/Yamaha-Acquires-Steinberg.html
    > Good news?
    > Bad?
    > Indifferent?
    >
    > My vote goes to bad.

    My vote goes to good. The few things that I've bought from Steinberg have
    had annoyances, and the technical support has ranged from poor to abysmal,
    with one real good thrown in.

    F'rinstance, my sweetie does archival choral recordings using a minidisc
    deck. She wanted to be able to create a CD that ran without pauses, but
    still had track marks. Get It On CD ver. 1.1 did that fine from her raw 2+
    hour mono track; just drop in the track markers and away you go. Later
    versions require you to break the audio up and put it back together, so in
    spite of the niceties in the upgrades, she's still using 1.1.

    They also have never seemed to pay much attention to tech support questions
    by email or from their web page. Phone support here in Canada has been
    okay, but for non-critical things email would work fine.

    All in all, I doubt Yamaha will make things worse.

    Dave O'Heare
    oheareATmagmaDOTca

    mwood5nospam@yahoo.com wrote:

    > http://news.harmony-central.com/News/2004/Yamaha-Acquires-Steinberg.html
    > Good news?
    > Bad?
    > Indifferent?
    >
    > My vote goes to bad.
    >
    > later,

    I vote good. Yamaha is way ahead of the came as far as digital consoles
    go. They are also heavily imbedded in music products in general. What
    has Pinnacle ever been involved with that had anything to do with music,
    other than buying Steingberg.

    Good.
    Good.
    Good.

    I look forward to it!

    --
    Eric

    www.Raw-Tracks.com

    > This seems like VERY good news. Pinnacle was obviously pushing
    > Steinberg releases out the door, at the significant expensive of quality
    > - every single point-oh release since Pinnacle has been a buggy
    > disaster, with basic things like *playing the same audio that's shown*
    > broken.
    >
    > Yamaha has deep pockets, knows audio, and isn't Digidesign. What more
    > could we want?

    I totally disagree. At first, yea, it seemed pretty grim, but over the last
    six months, version 3 of SX came out and was much improved and more stable
    then the latest SX 2.x for me anyway... OSX.

    Just days ago, they released SX 3.01, with good response to user comments
    and bugs.

    I don't know if Yamaha will be better or not, but I think you're being a bit
    too hard on Pinnacle, at least lately....

    Anyway, I hope it's excellent news, but only time will tell.

    << Jay Levitt jay+news@jay.fm >>
    << This seems like VERY good news. Pinnacle was obviously pushing
    Steinberg releases out the door, at the significant expensive of quality
    - every single point-oh release since Pinnacle has been a buggy
    disaster, with basic things like *playing the same audio that's shown*
    broken.

    Yamaha has deep pockets, knows audio, and isn't Digidesign. What more
    could we want? >>

    I think you're right Jay. And hey, not only isn't Yamaha Digidesign, they
    aren't *Apple* either. <g>

    Not that Pinnacle isn't a good company, but I think they sold Steinberg in
    part because they realized that Steinberg had a business model that wasn't
    going to be happy with Pinnacle's management style (they actually said it was
    better for Steinberg to be part of Yamaha.)

    Probably will add the Yamaha "MLan" thing, but doesn't Steinberg already
    has something like that going on in partnership with Euphonix misers, the EUCON
    ethernet protocol? Anyway probably adding MLan isn't going to be too hard and
    we might see some interesting Mixer/interface bundles coming out, maybe
    Steinberg Yamaha softsynth hardware.

    Will Miho
    NY Music & TV Audio Guy
    Audio Guy / Fox News

    I just still say bad.

    Right now, Steinberg as a company is all about open standards...VST,
    ASIO, MIDI, etc. Yes, they do their best as accomodating various
    things like the Euphonix ethernet, but with someone like Yamaha, it
    could really take a turn for the worse.
    What if the new "yamaha software" company decided to focus 90% of the
    resources in upcoming releases to "improving" things like mlan
    compatibility or DXi? In otherwords, you might see Cubase and Nuendo
    starting to work really great with Yamaha products and standards and
    just so-so with other companies. Also, if Yamaha is sort of in control
    of VST and ASIO now since they own Steinberg, do you really think
    Roland is going to be real happy about supporting these as their
    primary platforms? It might have an opposite effect and make them
    decide to work on their own proprietary ideas.
    I'm so sick of all of this.....give me one good plugin platform (VST),
    one good driver platform (ASIO) and please everyone, work together to
    come up with a replacement for MIDI. Then, we can all move ahead. I'm
    sick of the "platform wars".
    Think about the examples of other large companies purchasing a music
    software platform and there's not too many that have turned out well:

    Apple buys Logic and drops Win platform.
    Gibson buys Opcode and kills off the company.
    Adobe buys Cool Edit Pro and we're not sure what's happening...yet.
    AVID buys Digi is about the only one that didn't really change their
    way of doing business. It still didn't really help or hurt things
    though.

    Anyway, as a longtime user of SVP and one that switched over to Cubase
    when SVP went belly up with Gibby, I'm scared. I've got a lot of time
    and money, as well as projects invested in the Cubase/Nuendo platforms
    and I'm not too crazy about having to change again if Yamaha screws
    them up.

    Later,

    Fub\nnt. I was just thinking the other day that Yamaha should make a
    softsynth controller. I ended up with the M-Audio but Yamaha has great
    action and should hit that market.

    I wouldn't count on fantastic Yamaha support. Thier idea of support is
    to make the product as bulletproof as possible and then send it out.
    Not the worst plan but should you need something it's hard to get any
    personal suypport from that corporate monster.

    In article <1103729087.465712.175030@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    mwood5nospam@yahoo.com says...
    > I just still say bad.
    >snip<
    > Anyway, as a longtime user of SVP and one that switched over to Cubase
    > when SVP went belly up with Gibby, I'm scared. I've got a lot of time
    > and money, as well as projects invested in the Cubase/Nuendo platforms
    > and I'm not too crazy about having to change again if Yamaha screws
    > them up.

    Well, I understand your apprehension. The only thing *I*
    can say, is to look at Yamaha's product lines, even venturing
    outside the music biz. Yamaha may not do everything great,
    but generally speaking, if you choose Yamaha, you won't get a
    BAD product. It may not be the best (or it may actually be
    the best in its particular niche and price range), but it
    certainly won't be the WORST. Even the NS-10 speakers had a
    lot of others worse than them, for all that we whine about them.
    Point being, I think they manage their business a lot better
    than Gibson does. I wouldn't be as worried about this acquisition
    as I would be others.
    --
    ---Michael (of APP)...
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/austinpowerplantmusic.htm

    Chris Whealy wrote:>
    > I'm not so sure that their software products at least could be
    described
    > as bullet proof.
    >
    > Try the Studio Manager software to remote control a Yamaha 02R desk.
    > You are really on your own. When you download the software, Yamaha's

    > disclaimer basically says "Don't come crying to us if is totally
    screws
    > up your PC or the desk".
    >
    > Running this software on my W2K laptop causes a Blue Screen of Death
    as
    > soon as the USB cable is connected between the two machines...
    >
    > And like they said, I'm on my own on this one. No support, nada. If
    > want to fix it, I'll have to upgrade my laptop - which I don't have
    time
    > to do at the moment.
    >
    > Chris W
    >
    > --
    > The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
    > but the words of the wise are quiet and few.
    > --

    Well, there you have it. I haven't had any software prods of theirs but
    work with 30+ Yamaha digital consoles at work. No real support but they
    are made quite well so little support has been needed so far. Let's
    hope they don't gut Steinberg and just keep it a subsidiary with it's
    own support team etc.

    mwood5nospam@yahoo.com wrote in
    <1103664206.031734.28450@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>:

    >http://news.harmony-central.com/News/2004/Yamaha-Acquires-Steinberg.html
    >Good news?
    >Bad?
    >Indifferent?
    >
    >My vote goes to bad.

    Mine doesn't. There are various things about Yamaha that I find
    impressive -- for instance, you can download PDF manuals free of charge,
    even for instruments they've stopped building decades (!) ago.

    Apart from everything elose, little things like these suggest to me that
    most of the industry could learn lots, and I mean LOTS, from Yamaha with
    respect to customer orientation. Steinberg doesn't seem to be an
    exception there.

    SM,
    who purged Cubase SX from his harddisk a long time ago
    --
    reply-to works, even if it doesn't look as if it did.

    tymish@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I wouldn't count on fantastic Yamaha support. Thier idea of support is
    > to make the product as bulletproof as possible and then send it out.
    > Not the worst plan but should you need something it's hard to get any
    > personal suypport from that corporate monster.

    I'm not so sure that their software products at least could be described
    as bullet proof.

    Try the Studio Manager software to remote control a Yamaha 02R desk.
    You are really on your own. When you download the software, Yamaha's
    disclaimer basically says "Don't come crying to us if is totally screws
    up your PC or the desk".

    Running this software on my W2K laptop causes a Blue Screen of Death as
    soon as the USB cable is connected between the two machines...

    And like they said, I'm on my own on this one. No support, nada. If I

    In article <1103735290.922248.173460@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> tymish@hotmail.com writes:

    > I wouldn't count on fantastic Yamaha support. Thier idea of support is
    > to make the product as bulletproof as possible and then send it out.

    That's the best way. But it means they have to keep up with changes to
    what it interfaces with to be sure that when you upgrade a part of
    your system, the Yamaha part will still work. You can do that for a
    little while, but not forever.

    >tymish@hotmail.com

    >Fub\nnt. I was just thinking the other day that Yamaha should make a
    >softsynth controller. I ended up with the M-Audio but Yamaha has great
    >action and should hit that market.

    Funny, Avid just bought M-Audio too.

    Will Miho
    NY Music & TV Audio Guy
    Audio Guy / Fox News

    Hard to guess. If, like Microsoft, Yamaha would buy a company to stifle
    competition and kill a product, then I'd vote bad. But Tascam bought
    Gigasampler and has continued it's advancement, Apple bought EMagic and
    continued it's advancement (although they killed PC product), and many other
    companies have purchased good quality products from companies ripe for the
    picking and continued the product line with great effect, so I don't see
    anything negative until we have more information, ala Gibson's purchase of
    Opcode and the subsequent death of same.

    --

    Roger W. Norman
    SirMusic Studio

    <mwood5nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > http://news.harmony-central.com/News/2004/Yamaha-Acquires-Steinberg.html
    > Good news?
    > Bad?
    > Indifferent?
    >
    > My vote goes to bad.
    >
    > later,

    Yamha and steinberg already have excellent integration in the new v3
    releases, using the 'studio manager' architecture. One can now control
    the digital yamaha board from within v3. Use yamahas onboard FX and
    processing from within v3. And when u launch a project with SX or
    nuendo, the board does a complete recall, automatically. not to
    mention the sheer ammount of data transfer now that can take place
    between the two.

    A very intreasting thread here. must read :

    http://forum.nuendo.com/forum/Forum3/HTML/006668.html
    Id say were in for some exciting times ahead!

    Sidhu

    WillStG wrote:

    >>tymish@hotmail.com
    >

    >>Fub\nnt. I was just thinking the other day that Yamaha should make a
    >>softsynth controller. I ended up with the M-Audio but Yamaha has great
    >>action and should hit that market.
    >

    > Funny, Avid just bought M-Audio too.
    >

    > Will Miho
    > NY Music & TV Audio Guy
    > Audio Guy / Fox News
    > "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits

    DigiMan!

    >Bryson redbugg@mindNOSPAMspring.com

    >DigiMan!

    Well it's just I think the chances for a company manipulating or killing
    products to advance an market control agenda would be a greater concern with
    Digidesign acquiring Midiman/M-Audio than with Yamaha taking over Steinberg.

    We shall see.

    Will Miho
    NY Music & TV Audio Guy
    Audio Guy / Fox News

    <mwood5nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > http://news.harmony-central.com/News/2004/Yamaha-Acquires-Steinberg.html
    > Good news?
    > Bad?
    > Indifferent?
    >
    > My vote goes to bad.
    >
    > later,

    I vote 'concerned'. While the situation is very different, I can't help but
    think of how the Amiga computer was passed around from company to company
    who did little or nothing with it before passing it on, helping in its
    demise. Another concern is that using MOTU interfaces on a PC platform with
    Cubase has had on going problems ( particularly when using external clock
    sources ) and the problem seems to stem from both companies ( hard to tell
    though ). I doubt that Yamaha will have much incentive to work these
    problems out and make a competitor's hardware a more desirable choice.

    On the other hand, Yamaha has deep pockets as others have said and they are
    very strong innovators in audio technology. I just hope they don't guide
    Steinberg into making software that is too Yamaha centric.

    John L Rice
    Drummer@ImJohn.com

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 13:52:04 -0800, "John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com>
    wrote:

    >On the other hand, Yamaha has deep pockets as others have said and they are
    >very strong innovators in audio technology. I just hope they don't guide
    >Steinberg into making software that is too Yamaha centric.

    Paying for software that isn't tied to specific hardware has long
    been, to put it politely, optional. :-) I'm amazed that any company
    can make money at that game.

    On 2004-12-21, mwood5nospam@yahoo.com <mwood5nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > http://news.harmony-central.com/News/2004/Yamaha-Acquires-Steinberg.html
    > Good news?
    > Bad?
    > Indifferent?
    >
    > My vote goes to bad.

    Hey... It was for sale... and YOU didn't buy it.
    Yeah, you dindn't have the millions to make that happen.
    Whose fault is that? :-)

    I'd say it's Yamaha's to kill or nurture, as they choose,
    same as it would have been yours had you been the high bidder.

    Actually, I just downloaded a Cubase patch ( that's about a week old ) that
    is supposed to fix the external word clock problem! I haven't tried it yet
    but I'll be thrilled if it works!

    John L Rice
    Drummer@ImJohn.com

    "John L Rice" <Drummer@ImJohn.com> wrote in message

    > <mwood5nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > http://news.harmony-central.com/News/2004/Yamaha-Acquires-Steinberg.html
    > > Good news?
    > > Bad?
    > > Indifferent?
    > >
    > > My vote goes to bad.
    > >
    > > later,
    >

    > I vote 'concerned'. While the situation is very different, I can't help
    but
    > think of how the Amiga computer was passed around from company to company
    > who did little or nothing with it before passing it on, helping in its
    > demise. Another concern is that using MOTU interfaces on a PC platform
    with
    > Cubase has had on going problems ( particularly when using external clock
    > sources ) and the problem seems to stem from both companies ( hard to tell
    > though ). I doubt that Yamaha will have much incentive to work these
    > problems out and make a competitor's hardware a more desirable choice.
    >
    > On the other hand, Yamaha has deep pockets as others have said and they
    are
    > very strong innovators in audio technology. I just hope they don't guide
    > Steinberg into making software that is too Yamaha centric.
    >
    > John L Rice
    > Drummer@ImJohn.com

Pro Audio Audio Yamaha Product