Wireless LAN

bieees

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2001
I need help with converting my hardwired LAN to wireless. Currently I have 5 laptops, one is used to gather data from the other 4. If I replace the NIC cards with wireless versions (I am looking at the Linksys) do I need an Access Point to replace the hub or will the wireless NIC cards work without it?

bieees

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2001
That is where I am confused. Linksys makes a switch, router or Access Point. There is no hub, unless the Access point is another term for hub. The documentation for the wireless NIC also indicates two modes: adhoc or infrastructure. It appears that adhoc allows each pc to communicate freely among others, peer to peer.

Stranger than you

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You bring up a very good point: Can network wireless cards communicate amongst others of the same specs without an access point? The thought actually never occurred to me and I am very interested in the answer, com'on someone, enlighten us.
Good Luck, Take-Out

The early bird gets the worm. The early worm gets the bird.

bieees

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2001
Thanks for your response, I was beginning to think that I lost my mind. I have emailed Linksys with the same question. Their first response was to use the hardwired hub I have now and connect it to the Access Point. That is crazy, I have only 5 laptops. I want to get rid of the cables and hub. I emailed him back and asked about adhoc mode. I will let everyone know the reply.

Stranger than you

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks to you, and will await the response.
Good Life, Take-Out

bieees

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2001
This is Linksys's response to my question. Word for Word.
"Oh yeah, you don't need a WAP11 anymore if you want to have a peer to peer communication between "wireless" devices. Take note, Ad-Hoc is only for all Wireless Devices. If you want to Link your wireless devices into a wired network, Ad-Hoc is not the Mode but "Infrastructure" and here you will now need the WAP11."

Stranger than you

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for relaying the answer. Very interesting for those of us with a few computers.
God Bless New York
Take-Out

G

I know a lot of you are pretty up on the latest and are a ware of the risks involved, but felt like it would be appropriate to interject a little 'security' reminder into a discussion on wireless access, especially one so focused on 'what is easiest'. wireless is possible the coolest inovation to come along in the last few years, especially when combined with a sweet new laptop that is rigged as powerfully as a desktop. just remember that these networks are EXTREMELY easy to crack. some punk could sit outside you house in a car with a laptop and easily gain access to your entire network. heres an example of how and what im talking about.......my point is simply this: look before you leap, amigos.

NetStumbler, a shareware program available on <A HREF="http://www.netstumbler.com" target="_new">http://www.netstumbler.com</A>, used in conjunction with a Lucent-chipset based Orinoco NIC "sniffs" for wireless networks. The data that NetStumbler returns is truly amazing. When NetStumbler identifies an 802.11b signal, it logs the MAC address of the access point, the network name, SSID, manufacturer, channel that it was heard on, WEP Enabled (Yes or No), signal strength, signal to noise ratio, and various flags. In addition, if you have a GPS that outputs standard NMEA (National Marine Electronics Association's standards for data communication between marine instruments) data, the latitude and longitude data points are also entered into the log file. Additionally, a real-time display showing signal strength is available.

but just to prove im not all doom and gloom: if you enable a wireless VPN all this data, including you network data would be transmitted in 128 bit encription. look into it, unless you prefer to wait til the neighbors kid gets netstumbler and posts your bank statement on the local message board. ooops.

ignore everything i say

bieees

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2001
Thanks for the info regarding security. For our application it is not an issue. The laptops we will be using don't have any data on them that anyone would want or need. We are just transferring judges scores from each event to the main terminal for computing placement at childrens gymnastics competitions. The only risk I would have would be some overzealous parent intercepting their daughters scores and altering them to her advantage. lol. I guess it could happen, but I am not going to stress over it. We have paper copies if we suspect such foul play!

I have ordered the Linksys cards and they are due to be deliverd today. I will let everyone know if they work as advertised.

Stranger than you

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Yes, we have to look into it, but I think that any of us don’t store any personal data or statements in our personal computers that would worth for any punk to hack, or for the neighbors kid would be interesting to get netstumbler and post on the local message board. Nobody on conventional network knows what will be invented in the world next minute, what will happen with your wired computer, what service it will run and where the danger will come from (from the neighbor, or co-worker, or from a maniac overseas, by wires or by air, through the door, or through the wall or roof). The wireless network is safe in this case for us if we follow general rules on computer/Internet/network security. The main thing here is not technical, but how careless we are, what important data you’re going to store in our wired computer or send by wires or by air somewhere.
Anyway, your reminder is important.

G

yeah, i know that for the majority of users their data is not critical like a corporations might be. But just remember: hackers are curious people (trust me). how do they know you dont have something interesting or valuable on your pcs until they look around? dont get me wrong.....im not the kind of guy who sees a hacker around every corner. i just wanted to remind people that, contrary to what you might think ('The wireless network is safe in this case for us if we follow general rules on computer/Internet/network security'), wireless changes the rules ENTIRELY, not only for convenience, but for security as well.

ignore everything i say

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Yeah I agree with what you're saying. And my vision on some aspects of network security has been changed. Again, your reminder is important for all of us.

bieees

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2001
Here we go.... I installed two of the five cards and found the installation and setup to be quite easy. The problem I am having now is Window 98 network Neighborhood. I will post the problem here and again in the Window 98 section. Here it goes:

I have two laptops with wireless NIC's. I can only see both computers on one machine at a time. In other words, if both laptops are freshly booted and I select the Network Neighborhood Icon on laptop A, both laptop A and laptop B show up. I then move to laptop B and select the Network Neighborhood Icon and only laptop B shows up. I right click on the Network Neighborhood icon and select Find Computer. Laptop A will show up on the list but the location is listed as "unknown". I can double click on Laptop A and am able to see and access all of the files on Laptop A. The weird thing is that if I reboot both systems and start the process over again but start with Laptop B's Network Neighborhood, the exact same thing happens but the roles are reversed. On laptop A the location of laptop B is unknown.

Any suggestions?

Stranger than you

bieees

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2001
I am getting very frustrated with this. Linksys product appears to be sending and receiving signals but my WINDOWS OS are being very touchy. No matter what I have tried I cannot get them to use the TCP/IP. I have assigned address, (same as my hardwired system) but they wont recognize each other. I than tried the IPX/SPX protocol with NetBIOS support. It worked.... for the two Win 98 machines. I went to set up the third laptop, with Win 2000, and cant get them to see each other at the same time. Very inconsistent. I don't know what to do. I want to use TCP/IP but don't understand why the cards won't work.. :(

Stranger than you