Cant play youtube or flash on Windows 7 64bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kal20mx

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
When I installed erverything at first I could play youtube for like a day and then suddendly it tells me to install flash and I cant since it says that its not supported on 64bit. so now I cant watch any videos online.. any tips?

DataCabbitKSW

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Yup, currently Adobe has released a beta 64bit player plugin for Linux only. So you have to use the 32bit plugin, which means you must use the 32bit browser. So under Vista x64 and Win7 x64, you will have to use the 32bit version of IE or whatever other browser you are using. Adobe has been promising us 64bit Flash since XP-64 came out. It looks like they are getting there, but still haven't released anything for non-Linux 64bit yet. You could also check compatibility info over here at the Microsoft TechNet Springboard:
http://tinyurl.com/832nco
or you could try the official Windows 7 RC Support Forum located here:
http://tinyurl.com/9fhdl5

JDogg

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

I found this site http://www.mozilla-x86-64.com/, might be of use to somebody, but if Flash doesn't work on 64bit browsers, there's really no point.

JessieJ

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Mozilla Firefox has worked for me. When I was asked to download the plugins - I was given the option of Windows version - or other version. I'm using Win 7 RC 64 bit - and haven't had a problem with videos on iexplorer or Mozilla Firefox.

cimtaurus

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Don't confuse a 64bit OS with a 64Bit application.
Any 32bit app can still run on a 64bit OS, but IE8 has a 64Bit version that is the default in Win7.
Firefox is 32bit, so of course Flash will install properly. If you look in the program list for Win7 you will see 2 versions of IE8, 64 and 32 bit. Run the 32bit version and install Flash, then you will be able to see flash video.

Just think of it this way, the OS is the plate and the application is the food. You are using a big plate but the waiter can only bring you small portions of Flash on a saucer. :)

videodood

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
On my windows 7, even with the 32bit internet explorer 8, flash still wouldn't instal. flash gave "operating system error" and wouldn't instal.

On the other hand, Chrome works just fine and I'm guessing firefox is great too.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I like to use Opera for most of my browsing, for the sites that will not work I switch up to Firefox and as the very last resort (and only for banking) I will kick on IE...

This cuts down on the amount of crap I have to deal with.

Another I do right after I install or work on a machine is install a hosts file from here.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Happy surfing :)

Opera works with youtube just fine it will ask you to download the flash player plug in.

firstpier2

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
I have been using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 for about 2 months now and started noticing issues with Flash that seemed somewhat random. I have since narrowed it down that Flash stops working (in all browsers) after a hibernation or power-down and wake up. If I completely restart the system everything works again. Not the end of the world, but certainly a pain in the butt.

Anyone else having this issue?

ant_1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

I have a similar problem except that I can rarely get youtube to play in Explore 8. It keeps on telling me that I don't have the latest flash player and it's extremely annoying. Anyone know there's a way to fix this?

andersonbill

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Windows 7 installs the 64-bit version of IE8 in the folder Program Files. It installs the 32-bit version in the folder Program Files (32-bit). So the version you get depends on where IE8 gets loaded from. Flash will work in the 32-bit version but not the 64-bit version. If you are having a problem with Flash, pull the Help menu down and click on About Internet Explorer. The 64-bit version will list 64-bit Edition, the 32-bit will not list anything. If you see 64-bit, blow it away and load the 32-bit version from Program Files (32-bit). Flash will work.

I don't know for certain, but I suspect that the link-not-working problems are some how associated with the intermixing of 32-bit and 64-bit copies of IE8. And I believe the randomness of other problems is also cause by intermixing. Futher I think if I can figure out a way to replace the 64-bit version in folder Program Files with the 32-bit version from folder Program Files (32-bit), all of these problems might disappear completely. Any ideas on how to do that without running afoul of the TrustedInstaller?

ladyjay3024

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
I finally found the solution. I just recieved a new laptop with Windows 7 64-bit and nothing would playing the videos(updating drivers, using 34-bit browers, or downloading latest updates for adobe flash) I had to download directx and RESTART my computer before it to finally work. Just google "download directx" and click microsoft directx. click the latest download and click update version. RESTART your computer and voila! finally something that works! you could also just follow this link

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/resultsForProduct.aspx?displaylang=en&productID=9C954C37-1ED1-4846-8A7D-85FC422D1388

haich

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Guys, like somebody said previously, you should have 2 or even 3 different versions of internet explorer installed onto your windows 7.

Goto your bottom right hand corner and click start, then search for 'internet explorer'.

I have 3 options that come up:

Internet explorer
Internet explorer (64bit)
Internet explorer (No Add-Ons)

The first internet explorer is the 32bit version.

Now just drag that icon onto your shortcuts and you can now choose to run 32bit, 64bit or no add-ons version of internet explorer.

Hope this helps.

Let me know as I spent a while seaching around to find a solution but managed to work it out with a little help. :)

G

There is a Youtube work around. They are Beta the HTML5. It is faster that flash and does not require any additional software. Goto youtube.com/html5. Then select to participate. I love it and run it from my 64 bit IE.

nevaenuff1980

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
This is a very simple fix. It requires the reloading of IE8..not the re-installation. I just finished fixing this problem and it works like a charm now. Click the Windows globe [start] search for "Windows Features". Clic on Add/Remove Windows Features. Look for IE8 and uncheck it..then click RESTART LATER. The window will close. Go back into Add/Remove features and re-check IE8. This time click RESTART NOW. Prior to windows shutting down it will set-up the IE8 reload. When your computer reboots it will initiate the reload. Login to your computer and all flash issues are resloved.

~Scottie M.

Jupiter Wilson

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Thank you very much for your help. I am a Mac devotee but my husband has just purchased a PC with Windows 7 64 bit, and was frustrated at not being able to watch videos. I did a search and found your advice, and it works wonderfully. Just for your information, his IE does not have a No Add-Ons option, only the other two.

Many thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.