Sending out computer's internet through router

plattman02

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Hello,

The university I attend doesn't allow modems and routers, but me and my roommates desperately need wifi for our devices, otherwise they are being wasted sitting around. today I set up an ad hoc connection on my roommates laptop, but he brings his laptop places and when he's out, we have no wifi. I have my desktop computer, and I can leave it on all the time and I never leave with it, so I'd love to set up wifi on it, since it will be so much more convenient.

I brought my router from home, and ive gotten it to send out my computer's internet connection, but it brings me to the school's registration page, which I can not use, since routers are not allowed.

Is there a way to use my desktop's ethernet connection and send out that internet connection through my router (it also needs to bypass the school network, somehow fooling it that my router is my computer (im guessing))?

I have 2 ethernet jacks on my computer by the way.

anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!!!!!

Solution
AP mode is just some configuration of the router. Turn off DHCP and connect the router with one of its LAN ports (not WAN). You also probably want to enable WPA2 security.

plattman02

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

Thats actually what i was trying to do, but i couldnt figure it out...do you think you could explain it? What is AP mode?

plattman02

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

for some reason I am unable to enable the wireless network connection...it says enabled when I click on it, but it is always disabled. am I doing something wrong?
Untitled_zps93310341.png
[/img]

plattman02

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

nevermind it worked!! thanks so much!!!

TRENDING THREADS