Solved

Since upgrading to W8 PC using unusually high RAM

Since I upgraded to Windows 8 my RAM idles at 70% with little to no programs running just after boot. After opening programs it can go as high as 90%+ which I've never managed before hand.

Screenshot of Task Manager/Resource manager - http://puu.sh/280fO

Any help would be appreciated.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about since upgrading unusually high
  1. it is causing problem? it probably just use for caching.
  2. I don't get the question! You bought the ram for a lot of money and are now disappointed, that windows uses it and win8 does it better then win7?
  3. noidea_77 said:
    I don't get the question! You bought the ram for a lot of money and are now disappointed, that windows uses it and win8 does it better then win7?


    The issue is that it doesn't seem to free it up quick enough/properly causing stuttering when I open more programs. Id rather it ran at 20% like my other OS' as I don't seem to have any issues with them.
  4. Are you sure it slow disk access issue? RAM is pretty fast.
  5. rgd1101 said:
    Are you sure it slow disk access issue? RAM is pretty fast.


    Not sure about that, but I doubt it as I have an SSD and I think that would usually stop problems like that?

    System:
    i5 3450
    GTX 560 SE
    8GB 1600MHZ Corsair RAM
    Gigabyte B75M-D3V Mobo
    Samsung 840 120GB SSD - OS
    Seagate Barracuda 750GB - Storage
  6. Is it causing problems or not? And it's very unlikely, that it will cause stuttering anyway. If you get stuttering, it's a high cpu or gpu load.
  7. Best answer
    Did you look up everything that is using memory? The screen shot is just showing the top items. Also on that screen your hard faults an nearly non existent.

    If you want to free up RAM disable everything that isn't needed for the OS and look to see what the actual base usage is. Once you disable all non essential programs enable them 1 by 1 until you see a huge spike in usage. That will tell you the issue, if there is even one.

    I also see that you are running 2 chrome windows there in the usage you showed. You are obviously not in fresh boot usage.
  8. bak0n said:
    Did you look up everything that is using memory? The screen shot is just showing the top items. Also on that screen your hard faults an nearly non existent.

    If you want to free up RAM disable everything that isn't needed for the OS and look to see what the actual base usage is. Once you disable all non essential programs enable them 1 by 1 until you see a huge spike in usage. That will tell you the issue, if there is even one.

    I also see that you are running 2 chrome windows there in the usage you showed. You are obviously not in fresh boot usage.


    I rebooted and went through every process killing it untill I cam across Virtual Machine Management ( http://puu.sh/28clh ) After killing this my usage went from 66% to 19% as it was one of the last process'. After rebooting again it doesn't seem to affect the usage anymore. 'Tis odd as I dont have any VM's set up and if the high usage comes back I know where to go.

    Thanks for the help!
  9. Best answer selected by Kieran712.
  10. The laptop I put Windows 8 on is sitting at 1.9 gigs of ram allocated at the moment, and FireFox is all I have running. Though it seems high, it doesn't concern me because it has 8gigs.

    Moar ram!
Ask a new question

Read More

RAM Windows 8