Since upgrading to W8 PC using unusually high RAM

Kieran712

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Since I upgraded to Windows 8 my RAM idles at 70% with little to no programs running just after boot. After opening programs it can go as high as 90%+ which I've never managed before hand.

Screenshot of Task Manager/Resource manager - http://puu.sh/280fO

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Did you look up everything that is using memory? The screen shot is just showing the top items. Also on that screen your hard faults an nearly non existent.

If you want to free up RAM disable everything that isn't needed for the OS and look to see what the actual base usage is. Once you disable all non essential programs enable them 1 by 1 until you see a huge spike in usage. That will tell you the issue, if there is even one.

I also see that you are running 2 chrome windows there in the usage you showed. You are obviously not in fresh boot usage.

Kieran712

Honorable
May 20, 2012

The issue is that it doesn't seem to free it up quick enough/properly causing stuttering when I open more programs. Id rather it ran at 20% like my other OS' as I don't seem to have any issues with them.

Kieran712

Honorable
May 20, 2012

Not sure about that, but I doubt it as I have an SSD and I think that would usually stop problems like that?

System:
i5 3450
GTX 560 SE
8GB 1600MHZ Corsair RAM
Gigabyte B75M-D3V Mobo
Samsung 840 120GB SSD - OS
Seagate Barracuda 750GB - Storage

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Did you look up everything that is using memory? The screen shot is just showing the top items. Also on that screen your hard faults an nearly non existent.

If you want to free up RAM disable everything that isn't needed for the OS and look to see what the actual base usage is. Once you disable all non essential programs enable them 1 by 1 until you see a huge spike in usage. That will tell you the issue, if there is even one.

I also see that you are running 2 chrome windows there in the usage you showed. You are obviously not in fresh boot usage.

Solution

Kieran712

Honorable
May 20, 2012

I rebooted and went through every process killing it untill I cam across Virtual Machine Management ( http://puu.sh/28clh ) After killing this my usage went from 66% to 19% as it was one of the last process'. After rebooting again it doesn't seem to affect the usage anymore. 'Tis odd as I dont have any VM's set up and if the high usage comes back I know where to go.

Thanks for the help!

TRENDING THREADS