bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Most memory is synchronous. SDRAM = Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory. DDR SDRAM Double Data Rate SDRAM.

I'll let Kingston explain it since they did such a good job of it.

<A HREF="http://www.kingston.com/tools/umg/umg05a.asp" target="_new">"SDRAM is designed to synchronize itself with the timing of the CPU. This enables the memory controller to know the exact clock cycle when the requested data will be ready, so the CPU no longer has to wait between memory accesses."</A>

RDRAM = Rambus Dynamic Random Access Memory is allso configured to work with the system clock.

Only older forms of memory are not sycronized to the FSB. (EDO, BEDO, FPM, etc.)

I hope this helps. :smile:

<b><font color=red>Fredi</font color=red> <font color=red>Fredi</font color=red> He's our man! If he can't do it no one can!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bum_JCRules on 01/14/03 10:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

grrryphon

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
So does this mean if my processor has a 266MHz FSB, but I plug some DDR333 into my mobo, then the memory will run at 266MHz as if it were DDD266?
Therefore, for an Athlon with 266MHz FSB, would there be any advantage (or disadvantage) at sticking some DDR333 in as opposed to DDR266?
Sorry if this is too simple a question from a newbie, but half the stuff I have read says this is a good thing to do, and the other half says bad. I am confused!

--
Grrryphon