Sign in with
Your question

Hotel Wireless and a Range Extender

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 7, 2012 5:15:24 PM

Many times for my work I'm out of town and left with whatever meager internet the hotel can provide me. Can I utilize a personal range extender with hotel wireless?

Once a hotel provided me with a range extender which I was able to plug my ethernet cable into; it worked amazingly. But, I'm not sure if their extender simply picked up wireless signals coming to it or it was setup specifically by the hotel to pick up theirs.

If I can what are some recommended hardware options?

Thanks.
a b F Wireless
December 7, 2012 7:08:48 PM

Usually a wireless extender is for the internal system that is in place , like a Hotel and it has to be paired with the Hotels router. You can only bring your own if the Hotel allows you to pair it with thier router.
m
l
December 17, 2012 5:24:14 AM

Generally your best bet is probably to hope for an Ethernet port in the room you can connect to. Some hotels have Wi-Fi only in their lobby area and the signal in the rooms might be weak. In that case a personal range extender might help. Or you could get an external wireless adapter with better range than your laptop's built-in probably has (the Alfa AWUS036H is pretty popular).

Source: Wireless Repeaters in the Hotel
m
l
!