xiownthisplacex

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
I have a Linksys EA6500 router and a Netgear A6200 adapter with theoretically connected at 900Mbps (says netgears genie).
I also have a NAS, My Book Live Duo, connected with a cat6 to the linksys.
I have Fios with 75/35 and I don't have a problem with download speeds.

When I try to transfer files to my NAS, I can't seem to pass speeds of 10-11MBs/s. This is transferring from my SSD on my pc to the NAS.

I know that I don't have a problem with my SSD, or with the drives from the NAS
[cpp]NAS:~# hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads: 628 MB in 2.00 seconds = 313.23 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 194 MB in 3.02 seconds = 64.29 MB/sec
[/cpp]

I aslo know that the Netgear adapter is only usb 2.0 (although I have it plugged in a usb 3.0), so that does decrease the speed, but I wouldn't think it would be that low?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

When you have a length of chain , there's an old saying that the chain is only as strong as the weakest link.
That holds true for an internet network setup where you have a series of parts connected in a chain so to speak , that is transfereing data from one point to another and as in this case from your computer to your NAS. You will have to look at each and every part in that connection chain and see what is the slowest part.
The usb2 stands out to me as the weakest link and I think that your challange here is to find a way around the usb 2 connection. If there is a way to use a different transfer method , maybe an ethernet cable ?

The ethernet connectors on the back of the router act like a regular switch and with a 4 port switch if you have one cable connected then you get 100% , if you have two cables connected then each get 50% and 3 get 33% and 4 get 25%. Then you have the wireless connections which is not divided that way because the transfer speeds are different than the wire connected speeds. So you can try shutting down all the computers except one to see what the speed is for the transfers from the one computer to the NAS.
They do have different lengths of ethernet cable and the signal is good for up to 150' or more so being in the same room if you got a 50' ethernet cable you could run it around the walls of the room.

xiownthisplacex

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Yes I know I can do a wired connection, but I would rather not have to. I would rather try to find a solution for the slow wireless speeds :/
I only have one computer connected and my iphone with wireless. Wired are my bluray players, ps3 and xbox. But, they aren't on when I transfer stuff to the NAS.

Then an option would be to see if you can get a usb 3.0 wireless adaptor. Taking a usb 2.0 adaptor and opluging it into a usb 3.0 port will not increase the speed it's still a usb 2.0 and to get an increase you will need a usb 3.0 adaptor.

Your Linksys EA 6500 router is capable of higher wireless speeds and to achieve this you need to get the adaptor for that. I don't see where you have said what you have for a computer and if you have a desktop then by getting this wireless adaptor you should be able to get a higher transfere speed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320136