ADAT-older Mac transfer?

Last response: in Home Audio
December 23, 2004 7:13:34 PM

Looking for cheap and simple hardware+software to make tracks on an
ADAT recorder into AIFF files on my Mac.

Actually I have two Mac's, a desktop and a Powerbook, both G3/266mhz
w. OS9.2-- I'd prefer to use the Powerbook, but if a PCI card which
will do the trick is a bunch cheaper than the alternatives, I'll put up
with lugging the ADAT around a bit.

What's out there that will go lightpipe-SCSI or lightpipe-PCMCIA?

I could get a USB/PCMCIA card-- but does the Behringer BCA2000 (which
advertises ADAT-to-computer transfer among its capabilities) even talk
to Mac OS9?

TIA

Dan
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 3:33:10 AM

> Looking for cheap and simple hardware+software to make tracks on an
> ADAT recorder into AIFF files on my Mac.
>
> Actually I have two Mac's, a desktop and a Powerbook, both G3/266mhz
> w. OS9.2-- I'd prefer to use the Powerbook, but if a PCI card which
> will do the trick is a bunch cheaper than the alternatives, I'll put up
> with lugging the ADAT around a bit.
>
> What's out there that will go lightpipe-SCSI or lightpipe-PCMCIA?
>
> I could get a USB/PCMCIA card-- but does the Behringer BCA2000 (which
> advertises ADAT-to-computer transfer among its capabilities) even talk
> to Mac OS9?

I can't see the BCA2000 touching OS9 with a 10' pole. Cheapest solution is
the Alesis ADAT Edit PCI card, going for about $75 on eBay. If you want
something for the laptop you'll have to buck up, probably a Motu 828 and
Firewire PCMCIA card, $500 if you're lucky, which could actually replace the
ADAT with the addition of an ADA8000. There's also the RME Hammerfall
Digiface in the $750 range, which is more than you need.
!