Sounblaster Audio Xfi

jemtray

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Hi Everyone, I am experiencing sound issues with my sound card (Creative xfi Audio) it has been making crackling sounds when sometimes switching from windows and also the sound from music playback is not anywhere near as good my old 8 bit Soundblaster! I really don't understand this and would like to find out something so i can correct it or buy another card? I have a feeling this is an issue with Win 7 64 bit?? because my old 32 bit with my old 8 bit sound blaster sounded so much clearer and I've found no answer I've tried every combination of re-installing the driver's and have made sure everything is O.K in the BIOS so I am without a clue??? the sound does work on my P.C but it is not nearly as good as my old system? is this because of 64 bit?? thanks.

The problem is with Creative Labs. Their hardware is okay but their drivers are outsourced, poorly written, never updated and extremely buggy.

I have an Xfi Titanium Fatality Pro. It worked horribly on my old Intel P45 chipset motherboard, I had snap crackle and pop all the time. I eventually managed to get it stable by using modded drivers and then never touched them again (it's not like they ever got updated anyway). I eventually moved to a P67 chipset and the stock beta drivers (make sure that you use the beta drivers) worked fine, same with X79.

EDIT: If I recall correctly, there was a bug related to 64 bit operating systems that was fixed with a beta driver release. Their have been several cumulative beta releases but no official release since so make sure you use the December 12th 2011 beta driver

jemtray

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

Hi Pinhedd, thanks for the reply, Do you know where I would find the best suitable Beta driver's to remedy this?

jemtray

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

Really?? the old 8 bit card?

jemtray

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

Thanks, I've just been there and could not find the card I'm using? all the other's seem to be there
but no Xfi Audio Pci-e?

Oh, do you have the X-Fi Extreme Audio? That's actually not a true X-fi card, it's just a rebranded Audigy SE card.

There are no beta drivers available for the X-Fi Extreme Audio cards, the latest ones available are from 2009

After doing some quick research on the Creative forums I think that the best way to work around the issues caused by Creative's laziness is to use the custom drivers provided by the link that hairystuff posted above.

jemtray

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

Hi, I just tried using my old SB live PCI card with the KX driver's you advised me on, there was a lot od white noise and windows slowed right down?

jemtray

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

Hi, I just tried that with the (phoney Xfi) Pci-e card but it won't recognise the driver's as relevant to the card?

jemtray

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
I'm trying to research some other answer's through KX advice now but I won't be holding my breath. thanks for the advice guy's i find I'm getting somewhere at least and you never know?? :??:

jemtray

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

I can see why I should have done now, but wanted to try the lesser card mainly through budget restrictions but the apparent step up in money does seem to outline the necessity for the new on-board parts to make the cards work with 64 bit.

Highlighting again why I recommend ASUS/Auzentech/HT Omega...

The Extreme Audio is really a re-branded Audigy SE, as has been stated. As such, it has a different driver base then the rest of the X-fi cards. Its possible that either the Daniel_K or PAX driver sets support it though...

jemtray

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

Hi thanks for your interest I've tried all I can and think I should just give up the ghost and make sure I never recommend that particular card to anyone, thanks again.