Audigy 2 Installation HELP!!

ghowthoo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
Hi!

I am trying to install my audigy 2.. for some really odd reason it doesnt seem to be working.. it doesnt seem to be installing the drivers right...

I installed it into my PC

I booted up my PC, and i pressed "CANCEL" when windows XP tries to ask me to select drivers for the new hardware found.

I pop in the audigy 2 CD to install the drivers and application.. it installed all the software and stuff and tells me to reboot

when I enter my desktop again, windows xp tells me there is hardware found like before and tells me to select a driver or auto-select etc.. so i tried to make it select drivers and it cant do it, it starts to install some weird thing and then at the end it says it failed.. it says Data invalid or something..

whats wrong??

I had a old sound blaster live in my system before the audigy 2, and i removed all its components tho.. hmm

casiowatch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
Try installing the drivers without the Audigy card. Then plug in the card and start up windows, it should give a "hardware detected" icon and should detect the proper drivers.

This sometimes works for other types of hardware installations also. They usually recommend you install the drivers before you plug in the hardware.

-----
<b>All the world's problems can be solved through COMMON SENSE<b>

ghowthoo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
hey, thanks for the reply.. hmm I will try that, although I dont think it will work because each time I boot up my system and get to my desktop, win xp starts detecting new hardware and tries to look for them.. and i have the programs from the CD installed.. hmm.. thanks tho Ill go try it

casiowatch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
Remove all the programs and only install the drivers. There should be a driver installation pack somewhere on that cd ( i don't have the audigy 2, but the audigy 1).

If it doesn't work out that way, then try running the Windows Update. It should find the drivers for you, I hope.

-----
<b>All the world's problems can be solved through COMMON SENSE<b>

ghowthoo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
Hey thanks for the reply again.

I finnaly found the answer.. I was soo close to returning the card, haha anyways

for the DATA is INVALID problem, hope it will help others.

oh btw, you know why the AUDIGY 2 card has its Device Names listed everywhere as SB Audiby (B800) and also in my Device manager it lists Creative SB Audigy.. and like Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM).. Why not SB Audigy 2? I am pretty sure people ask this a billion times.. anyone have the answer for me? =D

-------------

Why do I get the message "data is invalid" when installing a device driver under Windows XP?

This error appears to be due to a protection problem in the Windows registry and can occur with a variety of drivers (sound cards and SCSI drivers have been reported). To fix this problem, go to Start, Run... and type "regedit" without the quotes to run the Registry Editor. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ENUM\PCI

and you will see a number of keys of the form "VEN_xxxx", where xxxx are strings like "1102&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_00011103&REV_04". Under each of these folders will be another folder with a long numerical name. Open each folder and look for the "DeviceDesc" which matches the hardware you are trying to install. Right Click on the "VEN_xxxx" for that device and select 'Permissions' and then tick "Allow" for "Full Control". Close Regedit and then continue with the installation of your device.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ghowthoo on 01/11/03 04:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>