Will a faster cpu improve loading times?

Squints

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2001
I just got a Radeon 9500pro 128mb and I'm finally able to run games like ut2k3, and nolf2 at the highest settings. BUT it takes a lot longer to load the levels because of the bigger textures and such, i presume. It will continue loading when the game starts, but after a little while i wont get anymore loading pauses (i guess since everything is loaded then). I have a 1ghz athlon and am going to buy a 2000+ Athlon xp soon and was wondering if my loading times will improve. Or will I only see improvement if I get a new Harddrive or more memory? I have a 5400rpm Maxtor HHD and 256MB DDR pc2100 mem.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
the memory and hdd will probably effect your loading times more than the cpu but I would expect to recieve noticable differences in loading times with the xp2000, ahhh 1ghz...those were the days

smurf A- I saw you leave with smurfette
smurf B- oh man as soon as we got out of the bar she started smurfing me
smurf A- shut the smurf up
smurf A- right in the smurfing pariking lot?

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
Better read write performance of the hard drives will give you better load times...and in instances cpu will matter (i.e. look at hyperthreading with the p4....)...for optimum load times running a raid 0 config will give you really nice read/write speads...