Can I move applications folder to a different drive?

mosis

Honorable
May 27, 2012
Hi, I have the following system setup:
2TB drive divided into three partitions:
C: 50GB - Windows 7 installation
E: 1000GB - Applications (in a folder called 'Apps') and videos
F: 950GB - Music and games

I bought a 120GB SSD and installed it yesterday, and the SSD is partitioned into one 30GB partition, and one 80GB ish partition

I migrated my Windows 7 installation from the hard drive onto the SSD using AOMEI Partition Assistant, which worked perfectly, and very quickly. I then told the BIOS to boot from the SSD, and it works fine.

I now want to move my applications (over 50) onto the SSD. Is it possible to copy the 'Apps' folder over to the second partition of my SSD, and get them to work somehow, or will I have to uninstall and reinstall all of them? (Which I'm not looking forward to, if so!)

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Ghost the drive to the new drive. Make sure the new drive is the same drive letter assignment as previous or the OS won't know where the apps are due to registry entries.

Yes, this is easily done and you do not have to uninstall / reinstall anything. I do this all the time.:

1. Rename the current 1000GB partition (E:\) to another letter.

2. Copy the Apps over to the 80GB partition on the SSD

Since you duplicated the original C:\ and E:\ partitions, everything will work exactly as it did before. In fact, if you boot off the HD, they should still work off that boot to. You will have to make sure that the letters are "set" and not just in the default order. To do the....just change the drive letter under each boot (except C) to something else and then back to the letter you want.

SSD Boot = C:\ is 30 GB partition and E:\ is 80GB partition

HD Boot = C:\ is 50 GB partition and E:\ is 1000GB partition

3. Rename the 80 GB partition E:\

mosis

Honorable
May 27, 2012

Thanks SO much, thank god I didn't listen to Nhasian... I was sure that all you had to do was move them and then change the new drive letter to E:.

I'm copying all the files over now, will let you know how I get on!