Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Shared Home Internet Lag Issues/Modem?

Last response: in Networking
January 25, 2013 4:12:13 AM

Hello forum.

I have AT&T U-Verse with 10mbps DL and 1.5mbps Upload.
I believe that is more than adequate to do basic home internet tasks.

However I've been having some lag issues.

When some of the family members are watching some HD videos, the internet gets unbelievably slow.

I'm also a gamer (League of Legends) and the ping would rise to 600.

*I can IMMEDIATELY tell that the video my family members are watching is buffed and loaded because my ping will go back down to 50-70 ping.

I am using an OEM ISP issued Modem Gateway 3600Hgv, and I am told that this could be the reason why.

This lag issue is driving me nuts and I am open to any advice.

Thanks.
January 25, 2013 1:02:07 PM

Check you connection speed and lag with and without someone streaming, using www.speedtest.net and pingtest.net and you will likely find that the video use eats up all of your bandwidth and causes the lag. If your gateway device supports QoS, you may be able to prioritize gaming over everything else, otherwise you may have to plan a schedule for the activities to not overlap. I had the same issue until I was able to increase my service to 50Mbps.
m
l
January 25, 2013 1:58:52 PM

I think 50Mbps is a little overkill. Netflix only recommends ~6Mb/s for HD streams and games don't use a lot of bandwidth.

Check out the links Realbeast provided. If you aren't getting near those speeds, contact AT&T support and have them check it out. I had a bad cable splitter once and it was causing problems for me. I would have never guessed that until the cable company came out and replaced all my splitters.
m
l
Related resources
January 25, 2013 2:03:30 PM

Going from 3Mbps to 50Mbps (for the same price) was a good thing. :) 
m
l
January 25, 2013 3:48:36 PM

RealBeast said:
Check you connection speed and lag with and without someone streaming, using www.speedtest.net and pingtest.net and you will likely find that the video use eats up all of your bandwidth and causes the lag. If your gateway device supports QoS, you may be able to prioritize gaming over everything else, otherwise you may have to plan a schedule for the activities to not overlap. I had the same issue until I was able to increase my service to 50Mbps.

Well upon doing the tests, the speed came to about 9.5Mbps DL and 1.0 UL. This was without someone streaming.

I really thought 10mbps would be more than enough for some casual video streaming, gaming, etc but looks like that's not the case.

I mean I understand facing lag problems if I have a 1mbps internet.. but lag on 10mbps? Hitting 600 ping just because 1 family member is watching a video? Driving me nuts.

Going to try everything before I decide to upgrade internet.
Will look into QoS (although I doubt since its OEM ISP issued crap modem).

m
l
January 25, 2013 4:39:48 PM

You're getting the speed of your plan but I understand the frustration with the lag in gaming. QoS is your best bet, even if you have to buy a different router (the QoS in dd-wrt is pretty good if you get a compatible router), otherwise look at the reviews and feedback forums carefully to see if the unit has good QoS (they vary a lot in useability).
m
l
January 29, 2013 7:49:40 PM

Well the only solution so far:

No gaming while family is in the house.

Turns out AT&T U-Verse is a special bit of DSL that requires specific DLS Modems. Most are recommending to stick with the ISP issued Modem. (WHICH doesn't have QoS AFAIK).

Anyone have experience with AT&T and custom Modems?

m
l
January 29, 2013 8:17:03 PM

You can use the ATT residential gateway as just a modem with any router that you want.

Configuration depends on the specific model. Which model gateway did they provide?
m
l
February 22, 2013 1:20:10 AM

The 3600hgv.

This thing doesn't have much configuration available.

I've been researching and some are saying you can't use it as a bridge, and some say you can.

Right now I'm to decide on a gamble.

m
l

Best solution

February 22, 2013 1:24:48 PM

Yeah, the best approach is to place the 2wire gateway into DMZplus mode as it cannot do a real bridge mode. HERE is a concise description of how to do it and HERE is a slightly more complete setup from SomeJoe777 that allows more advanced router functions if you need them.

Fortunately, I moved and no longer have a 2Wire, but the DMZ+ mode worked fine for me in the past. I could not get it to a bridge mode, and I'm pretty sure that is not really possible with the 3600HGV.
March 3, 2013 2:42:05 AM

Well. Upgraded from 12mbps to 24mbps.

problem still exists. This time the ping isnt up to 500 but around 200ms.

Driving me nuts. I'll look into that DMZPlus mode, etc.

Thanks for the help.
m
l
March 3, 2013 12:58:54 PM

200ms is still too long unless you only send email and surf slowly -- it just kills gaming and streaming. A while back I found a manual for the 3600HGV (just Google 3600HGV and DMZPlus mode if you don't have one).
m
l
March 3, 2013 5:50:56 PM

Best answer selected by skimyy.
m
l
!