Solid State Hard Drive 120g

allansusan2

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
:bounce: :pt1cable: Hi There The World:

I have recently purchased a SanDisk 120g SSD. I am running W-7; 8g Memory; Motherboard Supports USB3. In general a good spec all around. The one thing that I am concerned about is how long should it take on average to boot up; reboot up; and shut down. On my reboot it normally takes about 31-35 seconds. Is this normal or not. I would appreciate your feedback on this on how quick it should be.

Allan

Solution
My computer boots up from a cold start in about 15 seconds to desktop (ready to launch programs). It depends on your hardware/software combo.

But 30 seconds sound somewhat normal - it all depends on what you have for a CPU/start up programs/SSD drive.

allansusan2

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

I am also a veterna during the Viet Nam era. What I would like to ask you is how do you do it so quick. Even though I am; I guess a little more than an Intermediary with computers, I am always trying ways to make it quicker. What do you mean about 2 seconds; how do you do it etc etc. Pleasle let me know.

Allan

My computer boots up from a cold start in about 15 seconds to desktop (ready to launch programs). It depends on your hardware/software combo.

But 30 seconds sound somewhat normal - it all depends on what you have for a CPU/start up programs/SSD drive.

Solution

allansusan2

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

If you had a choice which ssd would you buy?

I currently have the Crucial M4 128GB SSD 7mm (thin) model.

However if I was to buy another one today - if I could find it would be the Samsung 830 128GB SSD just to give it a spin.

What are your complete system specifications? Your SSD is a decent one - it won't win any SSD races but it's still somewhat fast (and way faster than a Hard Disk Drive).

Edit:

You can modify your System configuration for boot up. Go to your Start menu and type in "MSCONFIG" without the quotes.

Click on the "Startup" tab - from there you can disable programs that you don't want to start up on boot - which can shave off a few seconds.

For example, I have the following disabled:

Java Auto updater (it doesn't need to be on all the time....If I need to update java i can do it myself. ET Don't call home!)

Adobe Reader /Manager

allansusan2

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

I have changed my ssd from a SanDisk to a ocz ssd. The speeds were about the same. However; what seems strange is that the start up from cold and the reboot is about the same. 311-33 seconds. That is weird. In order to get faster boot time I have done all sorts of things; msconfig; services and one other thing. Still it boots the same. I do not have much installed on my computer. There has to be a problem that I am not aware of. Can you help?

Allan