Cheap amp for LS3/5A's

Last response: in Home Audio
December 25, 2004 6:06:49 AM

I have just finished a beautiful custom pair of LS3/5A's, built strictly to
spec except for lacewood veneer....anyway, silly me, I spent all my money on
drivers and falcon xovers and have very little left for an amp. I'll
probably get a Quad II at some point in the future, but can someone
recommend a decent > $100 amp to hold me over until then? Thanks a ton!

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

More about : cheap amp ls3

Anonymous
December 25, 2004 6:06:50 AM

Adcom GFA535-II, average $150 on ebay almost any day of the week. Excellent sounding amp &
almost impossible to kill.

--
Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
Talking Dog Transducer Company
"Jonny Durango" <jonnybush_from_officedurango1@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:D P4zd.253909$V41.36832@attbi_s52...
> I have just finished a beautiful custom pair of LS3/5A's, built strictly to
> spec except for lacewood veneer....anyway, silly me, I spent all my money on
> drivers and falcon xovers and have very little left for an amp. I'll
> probably get a Quad II at some point in the future, but can someone
> recommend a decent > $100 amp to hold me over until then? Thanks a ton!
>
> --
>
> Jonny Durango
>
> "Patrick was a saint. I ain't."
>
> http://www.jdurango.com

Anonymous
December 25, 2004 6:06:50 AM

Jonny Durango <jonnybush_from_officedurango1@comcast.net> wrote:
>I have just finished a beautiful custom pair of LS3/5A's, built strictly to
>spec except for lacewood veneer....anyway, silly me, I spent all my money on
>drivers and falcon xovers and have very little left for an amp. I'll
>probably get a Quad II at some point in the future, but can someone
>recommend a decent > $100 amp to hold me over until then? Thanks a ton!

I don't know of any decent > $100 amp of any sort any more.

You might find an Adcom 535A in that price range, but you'd have to be very,
very lucky.
--scott

December 25, 2004 7:53:40 AM

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 03:06:49 GMT, "Jonny Durango"
<jonnybush_from_officedurango1@comcast.net> wrote:

>I have just finished a beautiful custom pair of LS3/5A's, built strictly to
>spec except for lacewood veneer....anyway, silly me, I spent all my money on
>drivers and falcon xovers and have very little left for an amp. I'll
>probably get a Quad II at some point in the future, but can someone
>recommend a decent > $100 amp to hold me over until then? Thanks a ton!

Stephen and Scott have recommended good, solid, practical solutions,
but have forgotten the date. Write to Santa, dude! It's not too late;
he's connected email-wise.

But, on a lighter note, what have ya got around the shack? Where are
you going to find KT66's anyway? Life goes on; it just doesn't always
appear to.

You've done the important stuff; it's all gravy now.

Good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 8:35:53 AM

A used NAD 3020 would be a good choice. Many years ago I worked in a store that
sold the NAD and the Rogers, and it drove them fine.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 10:54:25 AM

"Jonny Durango" <jonnybush_from_officedurango1@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:D P4zd.253909$V41.36832@attbi_s52...
> I have just finished a beautiful custom pair of LS3/5A's, built strictly
> spec except for lacewood veneer....anyway, silly me, I spent all my money
on
> drivers and falcon xovers and have very little left for an amp. I'll
> probably get a Quad II at some point in the future, but can someone
> recommend a decent > $100 amp to hold me over until then? Thanks a ton!

Well, you probably don't actually have LS3/5a's there, because the spec
requires selected drivers, but ignoring that...see if you can get a clean
Dynaco Stereo 70. They pair up surprisingly well with the LS3/5a's,
especially if you drive from the 4-ohm tap, and the power's low enough that
it's almost impossible to blow the speakers up. Plan to do a short-block job
on the Dyna (recap supply and signal caps, the former with larger caps,
maybe clean up resistors too, and almost certainly new tubes).

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 10:54:26 AM

Paul, I don't suppose you've looked at what Dynaco ST70 amps go for these days. Even ones in
poor condition go for $250+, and nice ones are $300-450.

--
"Paul Stamler" <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote in message

> "Jonny Durango" <jonnybush_from_officedurango1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:D P4zd.253909$V41.36832@attbi_s52...
> > I have just finished a beautiful custom pair of LS3/5A's, built strictly
> > spec except for lacewood veneer....anyway, silly me, I spent all my money
> on
> > drivers and falcon xovers and have very little left for an amp. I'll
> > probably get a Quad II at some point in the future, but can someone
> > recommend a decent > $100 amp to hold me over until then? Thanks a ton!
>
> Well, you probably don't actually have LS3/5a's there, because the spec
> requires selected drivers, but ignoring that...see if you can get a clean
> Dynaco Stereo 70. They pair up surprisingly well with the LS3/5a's,
> especially if you drive from the 4-ohm tap, and the power's low enough that
> it's almost impossible to blow the speakers up. Plan to do a short-block job
> on the Dyna (recap supply and signal caps, the former with larger caps,
> maybe clean up resistors too, and almost certainly new tubes).
>
> Peace,
> Paul

Anonymous
December 25, 2004 11:12:46 AM

thanks a ton guys....in looking around for 535's I found a great deal on a
545II which gets incredible reviews. I'm gunna pick up if it's still for
sale. Thanks a ton!

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

> Jonny Durango <jonnybush_from_officedurango1@comcast.net> wrote:
> >I have just finished a beautiful custom pair of LS3/5A's, built strictly
> >spec except for lacewood veneer....anyway, silly me, I spent all my money
on
> >drivers and falcon xovers and have very little left for an amp. I'll
> >probably get a Quad II at some point in the future, but can someone
> >recommend a decent > $100 amp to hold me over until then? Thanks a ton!
>
> I don't know of any decent > $100 amp of any sort any more.
>
> You might find an Adcom 535A in that price range, but you'd have to be
very,
> very lucky.
> --scott

December 25, 2004 11:53:22 AM

> Well, you probably don't actually have LS3/5a's there, because the spec
> requires selected drivers, but ignoring that

Well the drivers are KEF and they came out of a matched pair of roger's or
fried's I believe.....either way, the selection and matching is just as good
as rogers or fried QC which is pretty damn good. Certainly not a random pair
of KEF drivers...... The cabinets are built of the proper 12-ply baltic
birch ply with 9-ply baffle and solid birch bracing all measured to within
1mm of original. Small improvements were actually made with higher quality
falcon crossovers built into an external box (similar to the Cicable
xover's) for complete isolation from the driver's magentic field, replaced
old tygan grillcloth with newer, more accoustically transparent cloth, and
added damping inside (a favorite mod of LS3/5A fanatics)

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

"Paul Stamler" <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote in message

> "Jonny Durango" <jonnybush_from_officedurango1@comcast.net> wrote in
message
> news:D P4zd.253909$V41.36832@attbi_s52...
> > I have just finished a beautiful custom pair of LS3/5A's, built strictly
> > spec except for lacewood veneer....anyway, silly me, I spent all my
money
> on
> > drivers and falcon xovers and have very little left for an amp. I'll
> > probably get a Quad II at some point in the future, but can someone
> > recommend a decent > $100 amp to hold me over until then? Thanks a ton!
>
> Well, you probably don't actually have LS3/5a's there, because the spec
> requires selected drivers, but ignoring that...see if you can get a clean
> Dynaco Stereo 70. They pair up surprisingly well with the LS3/5a's,
> especially if you drive from the 4-ohm tap, and the power's low enough
that
> it's almost impossible to blow the speakers up. Plan to do a short-block
job
> on the Dyna (recap supply and signal caps, the former with larger caps,
> maybe clean up resistors too, and almost certainly new tubes).
>
> Peace,
> Paul

Anonymous
December 25, 2004 2:06:02 PM

Paul Stamler <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote:

>Well, you probably don't actually have LS3/5a's there, because the spec
>requires selected drivers, but ignoring that...see if you can get a clean
>Dynaco Stereo 70. They pair up surprisingly well with the LS3/5a's,
>especially if you drive from the 4-ohm tap, and the power's low enough that
>it's almost impossible to blow the speakers up. Plan to do a short-block job
>on the Dyna (recap supply and signal caps, the former with larger caps,
>maybe clean up resistors too, and almost certainly new tubes).

A decade ago I would have strongly recommended the ST70, aside from the
unavailability of the 7199 tube. It was a good, simple amplifier that showed
up cheap on the surplus market.

Now they are selling for crazy money. You don't see them at yard sales any
longer. What they sell for on Ebay is FAR more than they are actually worth.
I don't get it.
--scott

>Peace,
>Paul

December 25, 2004 2:06:03 PM

The ST70 is the #1 choice for people that want a first amp to do DIY upgrades upon. With a
substantial amount of work, they can actually sound darn good, but for the weak low bass,
caused by the output transformers. I do agree that the prices being paid for them are well
more than they're worth.
Hey, at least you don't have to risk lethal electrocution to get to the bias test points(which
you need to get to frequently with an ST70). Many an Audio Research amp has caused me 450V
jolts getting to the friggin' bias points.

--
"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message news:cqk35a$djq$1@panix2.panix.com...
> Paul Stamler <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> >Well, you probably don't actually have LS3/5a's there, because the spec
> >requires selected drivers, but ignoring that...see if you can get a clean
> >Dynaco Stereo 70. They pair up surprisingly well with the LS3/5a's,
> >especially if you drive from the 4-ohm tap, and the power's low enough that
> >it's almost impossible to blow the speakers up. Plan to do a short-block job
> >on the Dyna (recap supply and signal caps, the former with larger caps,
> >maybe clean up resistors too, and almost certainly new tubes).
>
> A decade ago I would have strongly recommended the ST70, aside from the
> unavailability of the 7199 tube. It was a good, simple amplifier that showed
> up cheap on the surplus market.
>
> Now they are selling for crazy money. You don't see them at yard sales any
> longer. What they sell for on Ebay is FAR more than they are actually worth.
> I don't get it.
> --scott
> >
> >Peace,
> >Paul

December 25, 2004 7:44:47 PM

> Jonny Durango <jonnybush_from_officedurango1@comcast.net> wrote:
> >I have just finished a beautiful custom pair of LS3/5A's, built strictly
> >spec except for lacewood veneer....anyway, silly me, I spent all my money
on
> >drivers and falcon xovers and have very little left for an amp. I'll
> >probably get a Quad II at some point in the future, but can someone
> >recommend a decent > $100 amp to hold me over until then? Thanks a ton!
>
> I don't know of any decent > $100 amp of any sort any more.

???????????
I think ALL decent amps are greater than $100 ( > is GT)

TonyP.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 8:42:29 PM

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 10:33:54 -0700, "Stephen Sank" <bk11@thuntek.net>
wrote:

>The ST70 is the #1 choice for people that want a first amp to do DIY upgrades upon. With a
>substantial amount of work, they can actually sound darn good, but for the weak low bass,
>caused by the output transformers. I do agree that the prices being paid for them are well
>more than they're worth.

The Stereo 35's work well with usually fairly little reworking.
They're rarer and don't have a 4 ohm tap, though. I wonder how
important that would be for the OP's speakers?

Chris Hornbeck
"They'd meet at the Tout Va Bien."
-JLG, _Bande a part_, 1964
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 11:01:48 AM

"Stephen Sank" <bk11@thuntek.net> wrote in message
> Paul, I don't suppose you've looked at what Dynaco ST70 amps go for these
days. Even ones in
> poor condition go for $250+, and nice ones are $300-450.

Well, that's >$100. :-)}}}

They're still the least expensive amps I've heard sound decent on LS3/5a's,
which are oddly difficult speakers to drive well. Hafler Px000 series do
okay too, but cost more, and are big enough to blow the speakers.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 11:05:53 AM

"Chris Hornbeck" <chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 10:33:54 -0700, "Stephen Sank" <bk11@thuntek.net>
> wrote:
>
> >The ST70 is the #1 choice for people that want a first amp to do DIY
upgrades upon. With a
> >substantial amount of work, they can actually sound darn good, but for
the weak low bass,
> >caused by the output transformers. I do agree that the prices being paid
for them are well
> >more than they're worth.
>
> The Stereo 35's work well with usually fairly little reworking.
> They're rarer and don't have a 4 ohm tap, though. I wonder how
> important that would be for the OP's speakers?

I've tried a Stereo 35, cleaned up, and it was okay on LS3/5a's, but not as
good as a Stereo 70, even stock. And as of a couple of years ago, the driver
tube was hard to get. Dunno if it still is.

Peace,
Paul
December 26, 2004 11:26:22 AM

Jonny Durango wrote:
> thanks a ton guys....in looking around for 535's I found a great deal
on a
> 545II which gets incredible reviews. I'm gunna pick up if it's still
for
> sale. Thanks a ton!

The 535 or 535II is a better sounding amp, and less likeley to melt the
LS3/5a.

For those who actually do need a little more power, passive biamping
with a pair of 535's works very nicely (and allows you to locate the
amps adjacent to your speakers.) The least expensive way to make
smaller Magnepans sing IMO...
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 12:55:54 PM

Stephen Sank wrote:

> Sadly, I've measured many 3020's, and the non-flat response
> is consistent.

Hmm .. yes, it appears that my 302 has a "us-style" imponator riaa that
boosts 40 Hz some 4 dB - estimatede on measuring cartridge response with
a B&K test record, an incorrect riaa interpretation that my Audire
preamp from 1977-78 also had ex-works. I assume that that is the
response error you refer to? - if there are other problems with it they
ougth to be clearly defined. Just saying "non-flat response" is a
wording that is, in todays context of riaa use being rare, potentially
misleading in case it is the only issue.

> Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

December 29, 2004 12:36:09 AM

Actually, I never dared measure the RIAA response on the phono of any NAD. The roller coaster
response is just in the line preamp & power amp stages.

--
"Peter Larsen" <SPAMSHIELD_plarsen@mail.tele.dk> wrote in message
> Stephen Sank wrote:
>
> > Sadly, I've measured many 3020's, and the non-flat response
> > is consistent.
>
> Hmm .. yes, it appears that my 302 has a "us-style" imponator riaa that
> boosts 40 Hz some 4 dB - estimatede on measuring cartridge response with
> a B&K test record, an incorrect riaa interpretation that my Audire
> preamp from 1977-78 also had ex-works. I assume that that is the
> response error you refer to? - if there are other problems with it they
> ougth to be clearly defined. Just saying "non-flat response" is a
> wording that is, in todays context of riaa use being rare, potentially
> misleading in case it is the only issue.
>
> > Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
>

> Kind regards
>
> Peter Larsen

> * My site is at: http://www.muyiovatki.dk *
December 31, 2004 4:32:33 PM

> Actually, I never dared measure the RIAA response on the phono of any NAD.
The roller coaster
> response is just in the line preamp & power amp stages.

Whilst I never thought much of it, for many other reasons, mine does not
have this particular problem.

TonyP.
!