Mixing memory of different manufacturers

BrayPowell

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003
I have an ASUS P4S8X motherboard with ATI AIW 9700 graphics card but only a 2.0 Celeron processor with Windows XP as an operating system.

I have been using the machine for video editing. (I have been using ULead 6.0.)

Orginally I bought a stick of 512MB Kingston PC2700 memory (KVR333X64C25/512).

As I found performance slow, I bought 2 sticks of 512MB Corsair PC2700 (CMX512-2700C2).

I put the Corsair memory in the first two slots and the Kingston in the third. All the memory was seen and the system boots up using the Corsair SPD.

I have a number of questions.
1. What stability implications are there due to the sticks differences?
2. I know that CAS 2 performs better than CAS 2.5, but what exactly does CAS / CL mean ?
3. Besides replacing the CPU, what memory configurations would work best with my existing equipment given my intended purpose ?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You've already reached the limit of that CPU, so besides a REAL CPU, nothing. Of course you could try to overclock the CPU, I'm not certain if the Celeron 2.0 is the last of the Williamettes or the first of the Northwoods though.

Anyway, Cas Latency is the number of cycles it takes to initiate a memory transfer, aka lag time in cycles. At 133MHz, for example, one cycle is 7.5nanoseconds, so Cas 2 timing takes 15nanoseconds and Cas 2.5 takes 18.25ns. This is most noticeable with programs that access a lot of small data chunks, like games, as opposed to fewer accesses on large data chunks.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>