when u record silence in Protool, how much the peak value ..

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
December 24, 2004 11:27:31 PM

when u press the record button with ad convert's input not connected
to any source or equipment or instrument
then, you will record silence

and when u scan the recorded audio file which recorded in Protool, how
much the peak value?

I am using apogee ad-converter
and if I record silence in sound forge, I get -139dbfs(very good
dynamicrange)
but if i record silence in sonar or nuendo , i get -97dbfs
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 10:49:18 AM

>I am using apogee ad-converter
>and if I record silence in sound forge, I get -139dbfs(very good
>dynamicrange)
>but if i record silence in sonar or nuendo , i get -97dbfs

you don't say if 16 or 24 but I am asuming 24.
have you tried importing Sound Forge's file into Sonar and vise versa?

if the numers stay with the app. then it is the meter resulotion of the
program.

if the numers stay with the files then I would say that Sonar an Nuendo have
some big problems
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 1:56:16 PM

bj <bluesjeon@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am using apogee ad-converter
>and if I record silence in sound forge, I get -139dbfs(very good
>dynamicrange)
>but if i record silence in sonar or nuendo , i get -97dbfs

That's because you're looking at 16-bit values instead of 20-bit values.

Even so, -97 dBFS is an outrageously high amount of dynamic range. Twenty
years ago we would have killed for that much.
--scott
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 4:00:06 PM

In article <1c7c168a.0412242027.42038043@posting.google.com> bluesjeon@hotmail.com writes:

> when u press the record button with ad convert's input not connected
> to any source or equipment or instrument
> then, you will record silence

Not necessarily. You record whatever the A/D converter input is
picking up.

> I am using apogee ad-converter
> and if I record silence in sound forge, I get -139dbfs(very good
> dynamicrange)
> but if i record silence in sonar or nuendo , i get -97dbfs

Could be a difference in how the value is displayed. What happens if
you record in Sonar and open the file in Sound Forge, or vice versa?

You might want to control your test conditions a little more
consistent, too. Make a shorted, shielded plug, plug that into the
input of your converter (rather than the ambiguous "nothing") and
record that.

December 26, 2004 6:41:50 PM

<< Even so, -97 dBFS is an outrageously high amount of dynamic range. Twenty
years ago we would have killed for that much. >>

Yea, twenty years I would have killed for it too, and now I can't tell that
I've got it!

Kevin M. Kelly
"There needs to be a 12-step program for us gearheads"
!