Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
I'm managing a small network and local domain in a SBS 2003 environment. All of the workstations are Win7 Pro or Win7Ultimate. Some are 64 bit some are 32 bit. I have a computer that is a Win7 Ultimate 64 bit that needs to be replaced with an older tower that is a Win7Ultimate 32 bit and need a copy of the profile from the 64 bit put on the 32 bit computer.
What should I do?

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
What do you need the profile transferred, Are you using folder redirection and hosting your own exchange server? If so it should be trivial things like favorites and desktop items, easily backed up etc but i have gone from 32 to 64 and vice versa with the Windows Easy Transfer (All Programs/Accessories/Systems Tools) and worked like a charm

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
No roaming profiles, no redirection as everyything is saved on a mapped drive to the server and a few desktop items but everything is stored on the server.....but the profile in C:\Users\username is 16 GB.... Why is it so large??????

You don't copy the entire profile. Only copy desktop, downloads, documents, music, videos, pictures, favorites, and any .pst files in C:\users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

You don't want the rest because there are pointers in there that reference locations that only exist in 64-bit land, and you'll never fix it all by hand.

taurinemike

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013

Exactly when transferring profiles weather it be roaming or not. Thats the only way I have found that works. Very tedious. :pt1cable: