Closed

Chris Crawford Games

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.marketplace (More info?)

Hi Everybody!

My son is taking history this summer, and we got to talking about
resource management and how it affects nations (Jared Diamond's
"Collapse" et al) but I thought a computerized demonstration might
help. So I went looking for my copy of "The Global Dilemma: Guns or
Butter" and figured out after fruitlessly searching, that I had sold
it at a garage sale over a decade ago.

Hence this post.

Does anyone have a copy of any of Guns or Butter? In the larger sense,
any of Crawford's games? All appear to be abandonware, as the
companies that published them are all defunct.

Bob
17 answers Last reply
More about chris crawford games
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.marketplace (More info?)

    <rlangenineteen@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hi Everybody!
    >
    > My son is taking history this summer, and we got to talking about
    > resource management and how it affects nations (Jared Diamond's
    > "Collapse" et al) but I thought a computerized demonstration might
    > help. So I went looking for my copy of "The Global Dilemma: Guns or
    > Butter" and figured out after fruitlessly searching, that I had sold
    > it at a garage sale over a decade ago.
    >
    > Hence this post.
    >
    > Does anyone have a copy of any of Guns or Butter? In the larger sense,
    > any of Crawford's games? All appear to be abandonware, as the
    > companies that published them are all defunct.
    >
    > Bob

    I found it at the Underdogs site
    http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=457

    Seems to be available for download.

    Bob W.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.marketplace (More info?)

    Bob, that was a great little piece of detective work. I had forgotten
    about the underdogs site. Thank you.

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 23:06:52 GMT, "Bob W."
    <bleew@columbus.dropthis.rr.com> wrote:

    ><rlangenineteen@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi Everybody!
    >>
    >> My son is taking history this summer, and we got to talking about
    >> resource management and how it affects nations (Jared Diamond's
    >> "Collapse" et al) but I thought a computerized demonstration might
    >> help. So I went looking for my copy of "The Global Dilemma: Guns or
    >> Butter" and figured out after fruitlessly searching, that I had sold
    >> it at a garage sale over a decade ago.
    >>
    >> Hence this post.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have a copy of any of Guns or Butter? In the larger sense,
    >> any of Crawford's games? All appear to be abandonware, as the
    >> companies that published them are all defunct.
    >>
    >> Bob
    >
    >I found it at the Underdogs site
    >http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=457
    >
    >Seems to be available for download.
    >

    >Bob W.

  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.marketplace (More info?)

    Make sure to decontaminate your PC from all the virusware that site will
    infect you with.
    <rlangenineteen@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hi Everybody!
    >
    > My son is taking history this summer, and we got to talking about
    > resource management and how it affects nations (Jared Diamond's
    > "Collapse" et al) but I thought a computerized demonstration might
    > help. So I went looking for my copy of "The Global Dilemma: Guns or
    > Butter" and figured out after fruitlessly searching, that I had sold
    > it at a garage sale over a decade ago.
    >
    > Hence this post.
    >
    > Does anyone have a copy of any of Guns or Butter? In the larger sense,
    > any of Crawford's games? All appear to be abandonware, as the
    > companies that published them are all defunct.
    >
    > Bob
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.marketplace (More info?)

    No virusware on my PC after checking with adaware and spybot.
    And I've been visiting that site for years.

    Out of curiosity: do you have an example of infection?

    - von Schmidt
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.marketplace (More info?)

    Don't wanna be an ass here, but I think it is worth pointing out that
    Ad-Aware and Spybot are for finding/eliminating SPYware, and not
    viruses/trojans... For the latter, you will need an AntiVirus app from
    McAfee, Symantec, TrendMicro, etc...

    "von Schmidt" <von_schmidt@mail.com> wrote in message
    > No virusware on my PC after checking with adaware and spybot.
    > And I've been visiting that site for years.
    >
    > Out of curiosity: do you have an example of infection?
    >
    > - von Schmidt

  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.marketplace (More info?)

    On 12 Jul 2005 03:53:57 -0700, "von Schmidt" <von_schmidt@mail.com>
    wrote:
    >No virusware on my PC after checking with adaware and spybot.
    >And I've been visiting that site for years.
    >
    >Out of curiosity: do you have an example of infection?

    yeah, Internet Explorer
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.marketplace (More info?)

    rlangenineteen@comcast.net wrote:
    >Hi Everybody!
    >
    >My son is taking history this svmmer, and we got to talking abovt
    >resovrce management and how it affects nations (Jared Diamond's
    >"Collapse" et al) bvt I thovght a compvterized demonstration might
    >help. So I went looking for my copy of "The Global Dilemma: Gvns or
    >Bvtter" and figvred ovt after frvitlessly searching, that I had sold
    >it at a garage sale over a decade ago.
    >
    >Hence this post.
    >
    >Does anyone have a copy of any of Gvns or Bvtter? In the larger sense,
    >any of Crawford's games? All appear to be abandonware, as the
    >companies that pvblished them are all defvnct.

    Balance of Power is one of the games I wovld absolvtely love to see
    redone. Althovgh I svppose it wovld no longer make sense given that
    there is no Soviet Union.

    Perhaps a version set 20 years hence or so with variable options:
    China -vs- USA. India -vs- USA. China -vs- India. That sort of
    thing.

    -David
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.marketplace (More info?)

    In article <IPOdnV2dJ8tVkknfRVn-tQ@comcast.com>,
    "AlexSGV" <smokalo@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Don't wanna be an ass here, but I think it is worth pointing out that
    >Ad-Aware and Spybot are for finding/eliminating SPYware, and not
    >viruses/trojans... For the latter, you will need an AntiVirus app from
    >McAfee, Symantec, TrendMicro, etc...

    A small free app ' Stinger ' is also a good tool for trojans etc.

    http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger

    Jim

    >"von Schmidt" <von_schmidt@mail.com> wrote in message
    >> No virusware on my PC after checking with adaware and spybot.
    >> And I've been visiting that site for years.
    >>
    >> Out of curiosity: do you have an example of infection?
    >>
    >> - von Schmidt

  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.marketplace (More info?)

    Stinger is intended to detect and remove only SPECIFIC viruses/trojans...

    But... we digress...

    "foamy" <bombelly@wahs.ac> wrote in message
    > In article <IPOdnV2dJ8tVkknfRVn-tQ@comcast.com>,
    > "AlexSGV" <smokalo@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Don't wanna be an ass here, but I think it is worth pointing out that
    >>Ad-Aware and Spybot are for finding/eliminating SPYware, and not
    >>viruses/trojans... For the latter, you will need an AntiVirus app from
    >>McAfee, Symantec, TrendMicro, etc...
    >
    > A small free app ' Stinger ' is also a good tool for trojans etc.
    >
    > http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger
    >
    > Jim
    >

    >>"von Schmidt" <von_schmidt@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>> No virusware on my PC after checking with adaware and spybot.
    >>> And I've been visiting that site for years.
    >>>
    >>> Out of curiosity: do you have an example of infection?
    >>>
    >>> - von Schmidt

  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.marketplace (More info?)

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:45:19 -0500, AlexSGV wrote:

    > For the latter, you will need an AntiVirus app from
    > McAfee, Symantec, TrendMicro, etc...

    For viruses, there's a pretty good, almost daily updated open-source (free)
    alternative to commercial products for Windows: http://www.clamwin.com/
    Been using this one for a while and am quite happy with it.

    For trojan searches, I use Moosoft's The Cleaner. It isn't free, but the
    trial version works for some time: http://www.moosoft.com

    M.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.marketplace (More info?)

    In article <jNCdna90f6nlvknfRVn-pA@comcast.com>
    , "AlexSGV" <smokalo@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Stinger is intended to detect and remove only SPECIFIC viruses/trojans...

    So what ? It's great at what it does.

    No one suggested it should be the only thing used.

    Jim
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.marketplace (More info?)

    Ya, I do realise that. It goes without saying that I've got AV
    installed (Fsecure on work machine; freeware Avast on home laptop -
    very professional looking product with good reviews ).

    I was reacting to the "'site' giving virusware" part - as opposed to
    the files containing virii.

    Havent had virus, trojan or spyware for *years* - including visiting
    that site & downloading from it. Although the popups are very annoying
    and probably slow it down.

    The underdogs is wellknown in this group and over time I've heard
    rumours on infections. So: did anyone catch anything from the site?

    - von Schmidt
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.marketplace (More info?)

    Michael Vondung wrote:
    > For viruses, there's a pretty good, almost daily updated open-source
    > (free) alternative to commercial products for Windows:
    > http://www.clamwin.com/ Been using this one for a while and am quite
    > happy with it.

    Clamwin is good but AVG is still King when it comes to free antivirus
    programs, bar none.

    http://www.grisoft.com
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.marketplace (More info?)

    On the 11 Jul 2005, rlangenineteen@comcast.net wrote:

    <snip>

    > Does anyone have a copy of any of Guns or Butter?

    No, but you've reminded me of an old economics joke, centred around the
    Production Possibility Curve. "You can produce guns, or buns... Or both,
    if you're Tomkins."

    Tomkins (I think that's the name, can't quote recall) were a
    British conglomerate quoted on the FTSE, who owned both renowned gun
    manufacturers Smith & Wesson and Allied Bakeries (or Rank Hovis).

    --
    Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
    The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.

    nospam@jades.org /is/ a real email address!
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.marketplace (More info?)

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:30:01 -0500, rlangenineteen@comcast.net wrote:

    >Hi Everybody!
    >
    >My son is taking history this summer, and we got to talking about
    >resource management and how it affects nations (Jared Diamond's
    >"Collapse" et al) but I thought a computerized demonstration might
    >help. So I went looking for my copy of "The Global Dilemma: Guns or
    >Butter" and figured out after fruitlessly searching, that I had sold
    >it at a garage sale over a decade ago.
    >
    >Hence this post.
    >
    >Does anyone have a copy of any of Guns or Butter? In the larger sense,
    >any of Crawford's games? All appear to be abandonware, as the
    >companies that published them are all defunct.
    >
    >Bob

    My question would be: what happened to Chris Crawford?
    Of all the MIAs in the game design world, his is the most
    perplexing...
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.marketplace (More info?)

    I read a bio on him recently -- he has been working on a project to
    create interactive storytelling software for several years now.

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:06:44 -0400, John DiFool
    <sorry@spammerscrewedme.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:30:01 -0500, rlangenineteen@comcast.net wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Everybody!
    >>
    >>My son is taking history this summer, and we got to talking about
    >>resource management and how it affects nations (Jared Diamond's
    >>"Collapse" et al) but I thought a computerized demonstration might
    >>help. So I went looking for my copy of "The Global Dilemma: Guns or
    >>Butter" and figured out after fruitlessly searching, that I had sold
    >>it at a garage sale over a decade ago.
    >>
    >>Hence this post.
    >>
    >>Does anyone have a copy of any of Guns or Butter? In the larger sense,
    >>any of Crawford's games? All appear to be abandonware, as the
    >>companies that published them are all defunct.
    >>
    >>Bob
    >
    >My question would be: what happened to Chris Crawford?
    >Of all the MIAs in the game design world, his is the most
    >perplexing...
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.marketplace (More info?)

    JOANNA DYBUS wrote:
    > Make sure to decontaminate your PC from all the virusware that site will
    > infect you with.
    > <rlangenineteen@comcast.net> wrote in message

    What on earth are you talking about? The site does rely on a lot of
    popup ads and banners (which any current technology browser can deal
    with) but no spyware or viruses.

    Unless you're just trolling... :)

    -l

    >>Hi Everybody!
    >>
    >>My son is taking history this summer, and we got to talking about
    >>resource management and how it affects nations (Jared Diamond's
    >>"Collapse" et al) but I thought a computerized demonstration might
    >>help. So I went looking for my copy of "The Global Dilemma: Guns or
    >>Butter" and figured out after fruitlessly searching, that I had sold
    >>it at a garage sale over a decade ago.
    >>
    >>Hence this post.
    >>
    >>Does anyone have a copy of any of Guns or Butter? In the larger sense,
    >>any of Crawford's games? All appear to be abandonware, as the
    >>companies that published them are all defunct.
    >>
    >>Bob

Classifieds Games IBM Hot Deals