Wired Internet works on laptop but not on desktop

Last response: in Networking
January 25, 2013 6:01:15 PM

Scenarios:

1) Cable modem --> Switch --> Wireless Router
--> ATA Adapter for the VOIP Phone
--> Desktop
Worked until i had a minor power outage. After which everything stopped ie No internet. So i tried scenario 2.

2) Cable modem --> Wireless Router --> Switch --> ATA Adapter for the VOIP Phone
--> Desktop

Got internet working (wired and wireless) for few days and then it stopped suddenly again. I tried both the above scenariosn again, but didnt help.

3) Now I connected my laptop (which i connected via wireless only before) with wire from cable modem straight to Laptop. Interent works
4) When I connect the same wire used successfully on laptop to my desktop, internet doesnt work.

Both Laptop and desktop have windows 7

Any help will be appreciated.
January 30, 2013 7:05:53 AM

Not sure about this, but perhaps checking that all your drivers relating to connectivity are updated... :??: 
m
l
January 31, 2013 5:49:50 PM

Satt_2000 said:

Scenarios:

1) Cable modem --> Switch --> Wireless Router
--> ATA Adapter for the VOIP Phone
--> Desktop
Worked until i had a minor power outage. After which everything stopped ie No internet. So i tried scenario 2.

2) Cable modem --> Wireless Router --> Switch --> ATA Adapter for the VOIP Phone
--> Desktop

Got internet working (wired and wireless) for few days and then it stopped suddenly again. I tried both the above scenariosn again, but didnt help.

3) Now I connected my laptop (which i connected via wireless only before) with wire from cable modem straight to Laptop. Interent works
4) When I connect the same wire used successfully on laptop to my desktop, internet doesnt work.

Both Laptop and desktop have windows 7

Any help will be appreciated.

For starters. Don't go back to scenario 1. That is begging for getting your PC hacked. You need to be behind the firewall on your router to at least give you some protection... Having said that...

If you connect the laptop to the ethernet cable and it works, but the desktop doesn't. I assume the desktop was connected during the power outage / recovery. It is possible, particularly if your not protected by a UPS, or less so a surge supressor that the spike in voltage, that typically precedes an outage, that the ethernet adapter itself is either damaged, or even less likely somehow disabled in the BIOS for example with onboard LAN...

When you connect the ethernet cable do you get any sort of link light? If not that is a sure sign you have a bad NIC...
m
l
Related resources
!