StAAlker

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2001
installed a new maxtor hard drive into a friends HP pavillion 6635 then i removed the hdd power plugs to reset the jumper pins turned pc on and realized hdd power plug was not plugged in all i did was move the pin a hair with my finger n the pc shut off n now it wont turn on AT ALL im assuming something touched something it wasnt supposed to and now ill have to replace whatever that something is any ideas or suggestions what i can try to do before i bring it to a professional would be greatly appprieciated

Mongre

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
yeah something probably got fried, hot powering the hard drive might have freaked out the motherboard. Best thing you can do is strip the system to it's bare essentials (video, mobo, ram, and processor only) and see if it will at least get an HP screen, if so start adding devices one by one until it stops working again.....then you know which device got fried. Make sure to keep track of what you've tried and always try it a couple of times to be sure, especially with a retail consumer PC like HP, they can get flaky during troubleshooting sometimes.

but before you go to that extreme these few little tips may work:

-disconnect the power plug from the wall or back of the PC and hold in the power button for at least 60 seconds. I'm not really sure why this works but I've seen it work many times.

-With the power plug disconnected (be sure of this!!!!) switch the little voltage switch in the back from 115 to 230 then switch it back to 115. MAKE SURE IT'S AT 115 BEFORE YOU PLUG IT BACK IN!! or the whole system will be hosed.

-Bad modems are notorious in Pavilions for keeping the system from turning on, you might try just pulling out the dialup modem first if there is one.

Hardware: the parts of a computer that can be kicked.