Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Did this detect a real virus or is it fake?

Tags:
  • Security
  • Virus
  • Computers
  • Security Essentials
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
June 1, 2012 3:49:36 AM

In the past few days, I've had 2 random occurrences on certain sites where a new tab would pop up with text in the middle of the screen saying Microsoft Security Essentials has detected potential threats and I need to clean out my computer immediately to prevent the system crash. There is also a something that says "clean computer" that can be clicked. Well as far as I know I don't even have MSE. I have Avira and Malwarebytes so I'm assuming this is just some BS scam. What exactly is it?

More about : detect real virus fake

June 1, 2012 3:51:01 AM

It can possibly act as a scam MSE. I suggest running an Avira scan. I would also recommend adblock and see if it pop-ups again.
m
l
June 1, 2012 3:57:37 AM

Then install the real MSE, because it works pretty well, especially for being a Microsoft product. I was as surprised as you.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 1, 2012 3:59:11 AM

If I open up a new tab and paste the url, the same thing pops up. It's just a blank white page with the message in the middle. And it's not from the MS website.
m
l
June 1, 2012 4:03:27 AM

Yea, I wouldn't suggest going into any advertised pop-ups. Unless, you know it is a safe website.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b 8 Security
June 1, 2012 4:04:40 AM

then don't go to that website LOL. they are clearly up to something illegal
m
l
June 1, 2012 5:53:23 AM

Just finished scans with both Avira and Malwarebytes and nothing came up so I'm good. I guess it was just some kind of pop up ad to trick people.
m
l
June 1, 2012 6:26:33 AM

Be careful with those never click them which I am guessing you already know not to do :D 
m
l
June 1, 2012 7:05:47 AM

Ok this is just bizarre. I don't know if this means anything, but I was installing Max Payne 3 on Steam when I got the pop up in the browser about the viruses. Well I cancelled the install in order to do the Scans and once the virus scans finished I went to install MP3 all over again.

Well about 20 percent through my install, Avira popped up in the corner saying it detected something. I looked at the Virus information and Avira thinks it found a Trojan. It says the Object is "MaxPayne3.exe" and the detection is "TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen2"

Now I know Avira is widely known for false positives. (Every time I scan it gets like 40 warnings from my Witcher 2 updates) So could this be a false positive?

To my relief I found something that suggests it's a false positive.

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&thread...

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=19027
m
l