Sign in with
Your question

Cannot access Hotmail

Last response: in Networking
January 25, 2013 6:23:59 PM

Hi there,

I am trying to access hotmail using IE 9 on Windows 7 Ultimate. I keep getting the following error:

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

When i click on continue(not recommended) link i get the following error:

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "/D/864/193170/000/sslcachekey.bayw.mail.live.com/default.aspx" on this server.
Reference #18.8f28434d.1359145227.1297d371

However i can access my emails on my phone and iPad but when i am using my desktop pc i would ideally like to access my emails on the computer.
This issue only started to occur today.

Could anyone tell me why could this be happening?

Thanks in advance,
Now i have tried to access hotmail in Firefox and Chrome, same issue occurs. I have scanned my computer for viruses and i got no viruses on my computer.

More about : access hotmail

a b 8 Security
January 25, 2013 6:27:41 PM

Almost always a time/date problem. Check the clock on the PC.
January 25, 2013 7:23:28 PM

It's not a time/date problem. I'm getting this issue too. So are many other people. I think Microsoft's HTTPS has expired or something
Related resources
January 25, 2013 8:24:38 PM

Yes...I've been having the very same problem throughout the whole evening; every now and then I get lucky and get into my emails but it's very hit and miss a for the most part the "security certificate" notice keeps coming up.
I went on the hotmail down site and it seems there is a service disruption so I suppose all we can do is wait it out...again! :( 
January 25, 2013 8:44:59 PM

I have this problem too!!!
i could access my account this morning, but when I try now the same thing comes up!
Is today the first time this has happened or has it happened before (it has never to me and I have used hotmail (now outlook!) for years!

January 25, 2013 8:51:06 PM

I am trying to access hotmail on a mac and when I try it comes up with a certificate warning:

Safari can't verify the identity of the website "dub002.mail.live.com".

The certificate for this website is invalud. You might be connecting to a website that is pretending to be "dub002.mail.live.com", which could put your confidential information at risk. Would you like to connect to the website anyway?

I clicked continue and then the Access Denied thing came up!

Is my account 'in danger' at all?
January 25, 2013 8:59:23 PM

When I click on Show Certificate it comes up with

www.airbnb.com
Issued by: Akamai Subordinate CA 3
Expires: Sunday, 12 May 2013 00:59:00 British Summer Time
This certificate is not valid (host name mismatch)

Can anyone make sense of this?? - [I have NO clue what to do!]
January 25, 2013 9:12:20 PM

So i looked up another website:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/ho...

Which said you need to change your DNS Server to 8.8.8.8 , it linked to this website to help:

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/usi...

I changed the server and it work! (i dont understand why - does anyone else?)

I looked on my emails but the changed the server back and I couldnt access hotmail anymore. I hope this problem will be resolved shortly, it seems a lot of people are having the same issue.
January 25, 2013 9:15:46 PM

We shouldn't be having to change any of our settings our end. The e-mails should just work. Whether it's a certificate or a network issue or what. I need to access my e-mails and it's blatantly an issue Microsoft's end.
January 26, 2013 10:47:28 AM

My hotmail IS working now! Does anyone know why it didn't work?
January 26, 2013 3:20:33 PM

Looks i wasn't the only one for a change ;) 

Anyway i can now access my emails via hotmail through the web browser.

@ftwraith - I wish i knew the answer to that.

!