MoCA...as in direct to TV instead of to DVR

MrMyke

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hello, I am just learning about MoCA, thanks to TIVO sending me a free MoCA adapter with a new DVR I bought. :) I still have a lot to learn though, and I will appreciate your help here.

Looks like a good way to replace my WiFi service to the existing DVR box...now I will have MoCA to the new box. The diagrams for that are all clear, and I think I understand enough in terms of basic hookup. The MoCA device lives next to my router and the cable modem. TIVO says the new TIVO box actually doesn't need its own MoCA adapter on its end.

My question deals with the MoCA service "past" the TIVO to the TV itself. I know that when I watch TV through the TIVO box I should get the benefit of the MoCA communication stream going into the TV. BUT...what about the TV's own native internet reception?

Right now the TV, a new one too, is "smart" (ahem) and feeds from my existing WiFi, just not very strongly of course. So here's the specific question: Will my TV be able to abandon the WiFi and now gain the MoCA feed that is piped first to the TIVO box??

If not, what do I have to add to get the TV's internet to feed from the MoCA? Is that even possible? The TIVO box feeds the TV through an HDMI cable, so I don''t think I can put another MoCA device between the TIVO and the TV. How else do I get the MoCA to become the TV's internet feed?

(For that matter, there is this bonus question for anyone who I haven't already lost: In another room lives a TV just hooked up to the house cable, no DVR, but there is the kid's Xbox there...what is required to get the MoCA there? So far, I believe I just need another MoCA adapter up there between the wall outlet and the TV input...but does it go in front of the XBox input, or exactly where??)

Wow, that's a lot. Thanks SO much to anyone here who is able to help!

Solution
Yes, you can split off the Internet connection with a 2GHz (or higher) cable splitter and MOCA adapter to the TV Ethernet adapter.

You will also need a MOCA adapter at the XBOX. If there are multiple wired devices (computer, XBOX, smart TV Ethernet) at any point you could use an inexpensive switch to connect them to the output from the MOCA adapter.

If you split your coax cable too many times and your signal degrades, you will need a signal amplifier -- be sure that it is MOCA compatible so that it allows the upstream data from a connected Ethernet device to make it back to the router.

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, you can split off the Internet connection with a 2GHz (or higher) cable splitter and MOCA adapter to the TV Ethernet adapter.

You will also need a MOCA adapter at the XBOX. If there are multiple wired devices (computer, XBOX, smart TV Ethernet) at any point you could use an inexpensive switch to connect them to the output from the MOCA adapter.

If you split your coax cable too many times and your signal degrades, you will need a signal amplifier -- be sure that it is MOCA compatible so that it allows the upstream data from a connected Ethernet device to make it back to the router.

Solution

MrMyke

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

Actually don't have the device in hand yet...just made the order for the new box. But it appears to be an ActionTec.

I think this model: Actiontec Ethernet to Coax Adapter for Homes with Cable TV Service (ECB2500C)

Thanks for the interest in helping me out.

MrMyke

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

Thanks Realbeast! So looks like my suspicion was correct...need another MoCA adapter in front of the TV, but with the splitter and the adapter I turn that coax line feeding the TIVO DVR into an ethernet that feeds the hardwire entry on the TV.

Good to know.

I would be happy to have any other tips or recommendations or ideas too. Great forum here. Thanks again.

RealBeast

Titan
The key thing is that none of the splitters in your coaxial cable setup use splitters that are not high frequency (2GHz) because the TV signals use the lower frequencies, and the MOCA network uses 500MHz to 1.65GHz.

Also, for optimal MOCA performance, if you don't have one already, consider a MOCA POE filter (it connects right where your cable comes in to prevent backfeed into the cable coming in from the provider and reflects the signal back into your network improving signal strength, hence the name point of entry filter).

MrMyke

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

Okay, got that RealBeast on the Hz issue. Thanks.

Interesting about the POE filter. That was mentioned on the TIVO info pages as a device that was intended to foil possible signal theft and unauthorized network entry since the addition of the MoCA line somehow exposed the system to the outside in a way...that I didn't quite understand. The literature said it was a limited risk for "close" neighbors, and since we don't have any of those, I was ignoring the device. But if it serves as an amp of sorts, that's different. Lots to learn. Thanks.

RealBeast

Titan
Sorry, I mean use splitters ARE high frequency -- the simple cheap Home Depot 2GHz work fine.

Just don't use any fancy stuff for splitting because similar to non-MOCA capable signal amplifiers the path block to the router is blocked by some amplified in line devices.

MrMyke

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Good point to note. My signal is pretty strong due to a whole-house amp installed at point of entry a little while back, so I won't need to mess with that.

Hope the MoCA does the job. Will then be able to use a TIVO add-on that for $120 bucks streams from the DVR in real time to any mobile device or PC. I guess it is sorta like a Slingbox thing, but only for things that are recorded or you can also watch as they are being recorded live. Could be cool.

Thanks again.