Systen crashing!

oats210

Honorable
May 25, 2012
I have been have issues with my computer running windows 7 freezing at a blue scrren after 45 minutes and displaying the error: A problem has been detected and Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer. So I reinstalled windows and reformatted my hard drive assuming that it was a virus. So now on the new Windows installation is throwing the same error. It seems like it is happening a little less often. I am hoping you guys can help me figure out the most efficient way to isolate a bad component.

Here are the parts in the system:
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6870 -
RAM: Corsair Vengence Blu 1600Mhz DDR3 (16GB)
Power Supply: OCZ 600watt

checking the temp in the bios may not be sufficient as there is no load on the cpu. you should monitor the cpu and system temp while windows is running and while you put a load on the cpu with something like Prime95

oats210

Honorable
May 25, 2012
I am running prime 95 and my core temps are hovering in the upper 90s, but never going over 100. Is it dangerous to let my temps get this high? Could that be the reason that my machine crashes after 45 minutes? If so should I just get a better cpu fan?

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
depends on weather ot not its and intel or amd chip if its amd your talking about frying it with those temps intel well id say its on the high end .. also what cpu are you using is this a recent build and did you mount the cpu cooler properly ..

oats210

Honorable
May 25, 2012
Sorry I forgot to mention I have an i7 sandybridge 2600k. I have been running it for about 8 months with no problems. Under normal load the temps seem to be sitting at or below 60. Only under 100% load was I seeing the temps in the 90s. The gpu temps seems to be sitting around 45-60 as well. I am pretty sure I mounted the cpu cooler right, like I said it has worked for several months and these issues seem to have come up without any hardware changes. At this point I tested the ram from the windows 7 start up cd, ran prime95 and tested the cpu and gpu temps and have not found any thing that I think should crash the system. What should I look at next? What is the best way to test the mother board?

I suspect if Windows is telling you it's shutting down after finding a problem then it's a software/driver issue. Shutdowns for temperature issues tend to be sudden and without warning other than display issues. Still think you should address the CPU cooling long term, perhaps invest in a better cooler. Meantime did you try clean startup?

oats210

Honorable
May 25, 2012

I havnt tried the clean start up yet. I assumed that since I reisntalled windows twice yesterday all the software/drivers were reset when I reformatted the hard drive, essentially giving me a clean startup? Knowing that the hard drive was reformatted last night do you still suggest trying a clean startup? Thanks for your help everyone. Please keep it coming.