Peluso mics

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
December 26, 2004 8:47:43 PM

Ran across a Peluso tube mic on ebay:
a C12/251 copy/replica with a 6072 tube.

They also have a U47 copy with EF 14

Anyone with experience with these mics?

More about : peluso mics

Anonymous
December 26, 2004 8:47:44 PM

I have a 2247 it's a nice mic. lately it's being picked over my U87 and my
Soundelux U195 in my place. Quality wise it's at least in the same league.
--Lou Gimenez
The Music Lab
2" 24track w all the Goodies
www.musiclabnyc.com

> From: "heyhey" <hey@hey.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
> Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 17:47:43 +0100
> Subject: Peluso mics
>
> Ran across a Peluso tube mic on ebay:
> a C12/251 copy/replica with a 6072 tube.
>
> They also have a U47 copy with EF 14
>

> Anyone with experience with these mics?

Anonymous
December 26, 2004 10:27:52 PM

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 11:47:43 -0500, heyhey wrote
(in article <VVBzd.1701$Sl3.28500@news4.e.nsc.no>):

> Ran across a Peluso tube mic on ebay:
> a C12/251 copy/replica with a 6072 tube.
>
> They also have a U47 copy with EF 14
>

> Anyone with experience with these mics?

I'm currently making a U 47 copy that I can deliver BY EMAIL. It's a totally
new concept! It's a jpeg image, but it's in full color and you can tape it up
next to your mic and make people think you have a real U 47.

Some folks have already begun modifications. They are punching a lot of holes
in the paper and setting the paper in FRONT of their mics, so you don't even
see the other mic.

I'm on the fence about this practice.

Smiles,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
December 26, 2004 10:27:53 PM

So Ty, I assume you haven't been able to review the Peluso mics yet?

Al

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:27:52 -0500, Ty Ford <tyreeford@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 11:47:43 -0500, heyhey wrote
>(in article <VVBzd.1701$Sl3.28500@news4.e.nsc.no>):
>
>> Ran across a Peluso tube mic on ebay:
>> a C12/251 copy/replica with a 6072 tube.
>>
>> They also have a U47 copy with EF 14
>>

>> Anyone with experience with these mics?
>
>I'm currently making a U 47 copy that I can deliver BY EMAIL. It's a totally
>new concept! It's a jpeg image, but it's in full color and you can tape it up
>next to your mic and make people think you have a real U 47.
>
>Some folks have already begun modifications. They are punching a lot of holes
>in the paper and setting the paper in FRONT of their mics, so you don't even
>see the other mic.
>
>I'm on the fence about this practice.
>
>Smiles,
>
>Ty Ford
>

>-- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
>stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 11:35:28 PM

playon wrote:

> So Ty, I assume you haven't been able to review the Peluso mics yet?
>
> Al

l.o.l.

Come on man, get with the program. It's true, nobody can claim that the
Peluso is a great microphone, or for that matter even marginally
useable, until Ty says so.
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 12:30:12 AM

this guy makes nice mics. give it a break
--Lou Gimenez
The Music Lab
2" 24track w all the Goodies
www.musiclabnyc.com

> From: Ty Ford <tyreeford@comcast.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
> Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:27:52 -0500
> Subject: Re: Peluso mics
>
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 11:47:43 -0500, heyhey wrote
> (in article <VVBzd.1701$Sl3.28500@news4.e.nsc.no>):
>
>> Ran across a Peluso tube mic on ebay:
>> a C12/251 copy/replica with a 6072 tube.
>>
>> They also have a U47 copy with EF 14
>>

>> Anyone with experience with these mics?
>
> I'm currently making a U 47 copy that I can deliver BY EMAIL. It's a totally
> new concept! It's a jpeg image, but it's in full color and you can tape it up
> next to your mic and make people think you have a real U 47.
>
> Some folks have already begun modifications. They are punching a lot of holes
> in the paper and setting the paper in FRONT of their mics, so you don't even
> see the other mic.
>
> I'm on the fence about this practice.
>
> Smiles,
>
> Ty Ford
>

> -- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
> stuff are at www.tyford.com

Anonymous
December 27, 2004 12:30:13 AM

Lou Gimenez wrote:
> this guy makes nice mics. give it a break

They just don't cost enough to be good. :-)

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 3:38:10 PM

The soundelux U195 cost the same. There are quite a few people here who
think thats a nice sounding mic. I own a u87 and a U195 amongst others. This
mic is easily in the same league as the U87. It's quite a bit bigger and
fatter. He's a small shop with word of mouth advertising so his overheads is
quite a bit lower.
--Lou Gimenez
The Music Lab
2" 24track w all the Goodies
www.musiclabnyc.com

> From: Bob Cain <arcane@arcanemethods.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
> Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 20:41:47 -0800
> Subject: Re: Peluso mics
>

> Lou Gimenez wrote:
>> this guy makes nice mics. give it a break
>
> They just don't cost enough to be good. :-)
>

> Bob
> --
>
> "Things should be described as simply as possible, but no
> simpler."
>
> A. Einstein
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 4:43:39 PM

>this guy makes nice mics. give it a break

Are these the same "C-12 Clones" David Butler was hawking a few years back?

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 4:43:40 PM

I don't know. He makes the 2247 the 22251 and some pencil mikes. No C12 copy
now. A friend of mine who used to assemble all the daking gear told me about
Peluso, he had a capsule from peluso for a mic he built. He was impressed
with the quality of the capsule and with John. I checked out the 2247 and
bought one.
--Lou Gimenez
The Music Lab
2" 24track w all the Goodies
www.musiclabnyc.com

> From: eganmedia@aol.com (EganMedia)
> Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
> Date: 27 Dec 2004 13:43:39 GMT
> Subject: Re: Peluso mics
>
>> this guy makes nice mics. give it a break
>
> Are these the same "C-12 Clones" David Butler was hawking a few years back?
>

> Joe Egan
> EMP
> Colchester, VT
> www.eganmedia.com
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 4:45:54 PM

Animix wrote:

>>No one is making a true clone of any mic.
>

> Hmmmmm...........except maybe..........
>
> http://www.wunderaudio.com/home.html

Very cool!

How much is this CM7?
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 4:46:30 PM

I talked to him sometime before Thanksgiving and I think I remember him
saying it's around $4k, but don't quote me. I'm going to be paying a visit
there soon.

Doug Joyce
Animix Productions.

"Joe Sensor" <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote in message
> Animix wrote:
>
> >>No one is making a true clone of any mic.
> >

> > Hmmmmm...........except maybe..........
> >
> > http://www.wunderaudio.com/home.html
> >
> Very cool!
>
> How much is this CM7?
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 5:57:42 PM

the vf-14 tube was an important part of the u-47 sound. so any mic
that deviates from it (even a "nuvistor" 47 or a 47fet) will not be the
same as a "real" u-47.

the vf-14 was a special tube, and neumann would reject many of the
vf-14 tubes that didn't meet specs.

it could be a great mic, but i would be shocked if it were "identical"
in sound and response.
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 7:13:27 PM

Ty Ford wrote:

> Hand made in the USA.

Really? Or hand-assembled here from components made here and elsewhere?
They make their own capsules here in the USA? Not saying they don't; I
just don't know and I'm curious.

--
ha
Anonymous

hank alrich wrote:
> Ty Ford wrote:
>

>>Hand made in the USA.
>

> Really? Or hand-assembled here from components made here and elsewhere?
> They make their own capsules here in the USA? Not saying they don't; I
> just don't know and I'm curious.

If I recall, the exact same question came up when this was discussed a
couple of years ago. I'm too lazy to Google it.
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 12:43:38 AM

Lou Gimenez wrote:

> Fletcher doesnt actually know anything about the Peluso mics or capsules. He
> has personal issues with John Peluso.

I would have guessed as much. ;)
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 2:17:39 AM

There's a review in Tape Op for December.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"heyhey" <hey@hey.com> wrote in message
> Ran across a Peluso tube mic on ebay:
> a C12/251 copy/replica with a 6072 tube.
>
> They also have a U47 copy with EF 14
>

> Anyone with experience with these mics?

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 2:28:45 AM

Ty Ford wrote:

>>>this guy makes nice mics. give it a break
>

> Lou,
>
> Come on, man. He may make good mics, but the word "copy" is abused too
> frequently. It's market speak. As below, he doesn't use the word "copy" so
> the blame falls on the poster.
>
> Even so, what DOES "closely styled" mean?

It was my understanding that the "magic" of the original U47 was due in
large part to the VF14 tube (unavailable and/or megabucks)

Using an EF14 (same specs, different heater voltage) would, IMO, justify
"same ballpark", though maybe not "closely styled".

So, has anybody else _heard_ this mic?

Hans
--

This is a non-profit organization;
we didn't plan it that way, but it is

=====================================

(remove uppercase trap, and double the number to reply)
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 2:28:46 AM

Check this link for a post by a certain individual named Gerst.

http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=1150108#p...

I thought this was interesting and had been to this studio years ago when I
lived in Austin. I called *Mark* about these. He had some positive things to
say. He's also building U47 and C12 clones himself. Haven't heard one yet
myself though.

If you do a Google with the keywords Peluso Microphone Review, there is a
bit more info on these. Also, John Peluso has a 5 day return policy. This
would theoretically give a buyer time for a tryout.

;O)

"Hans van Dongen" <hanf@xs2all.SPAMDEX.nl> wrote in message

> > Lou,
> >
> > Come on, man. He may make good mics, but the word "copy" is abused too
> > frequently. It's market speak. As below, he doesn't use the word "copy"
so
> > the blame falls on the poster.
> >
> > Even so, what DOES "closely styled" mean?
>
> It was my understanding that the "magic" of the original U47 was due in
> large part to the VF14 tube (unavailable and/or megabucks)
>
> Using an EF14 (same specs, different heater voltage) would, IMO, justify
> "same ballpark", though maybe not "closely styled".
>
> So, has anybody else _heard_ this mic?
>

> Hans
> --
>

> This is a non-profit organization;
> we didn't plan it that way, but it is
>
> =====================================
>

> (remove uppercase trap, and double the number to reply)
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 2:28:47 AM

Sorry, my reference to *Mark* was not meaning Mark McQuilken. I'm fried from
an all day session........apologies.

I'm thinking that the *Jack* that Harvey is referring to may be the same
person as *Mike*, the owner of Wunder Audio and owner of Misty Hill Audio in
Austin.

:o )

"Animix" <animix_spamless_@animas.net> wrote in message
> Check this link for a post by a certain individual named Gerst.
>
> http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=1150108#p...
>
> I thought this was interesting and had been to this studio years ago when
> lived in Austin. I called *Mark* about these. He had some positive things
> say. He's also building U47 and C12 clones himself. Haven't heard one yet
> myself though.
>
> If you do a Google with the keywords Peluso Microphone Review, there is a
> bit more info on these. Also, John Peluso has a 5 day return policy. This
> would theoretically give a buyer time for a tryout.
>

> ;O)
>

> "Hans van Dongen" <hanf@xs2all.SPAMDEX.nl> wrote in message

> > > Lou,
> > >
> > > Come on, man. He may make good mics, but the word "copy" is abused too
> > > frequently. It's market speak. As below, he doesn't use the word
"copy"
> so
> > > the blame falls on the poster.
> > >
> > > Even so, what DOES "closely styled" mean?
> >
> > It was my understanding that the "magic" of the original U47 was due in
> > large part to the VF14 tube (unavailable and/or megabucks)
> >
> > Using an EF14 (same specs, different heater voltage) would, IMO, justify
> > "same ballpark", though maybe not "closely styled".
> >
> > So, has anybody else _heard_ this mic?
> >

> > Hans
> > --
> >

> > This is a non-profit organization;
> > we didn't plan it that way, but it is
> >
> > =====================================
> >

> > (remove uppercase trap, and double the number to reply)

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 6:45:08 AM

> Neil,
>
> I heard one of his capsules in a Mojave build. I was comparing it to my
> Mojave that had an original Marshall V67 capsule. There was a noticable
> difference in the higher frequencies. The original V67 capsule had a samll
> bit of smear in comparison to the Peluso capsule. I've got a new Peluso
> capsule sitting in Austin right now waiting for me.

Deej, let me know how the 2nd one turns out - if it's a good one, I may
order a C-12-alike capsule from him & stick in in something just for grins.

Neil
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 6:45:54 AM

"Lou Gimenez" <themusiclab@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Fletcher doesnt actually know anything about the Peluso mics or capsules.
> He
> has personal issues with John Peluso.

What's the personal issue?

Just curious.

Neil Henderson
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 11:26:29 AM

The answer is that the brass body and capsule modules are made in China, the
transformers and electronics here in the USA or in Germany, and John builds
and tweeks each mic.

I'd do a quote from the review in TapeOp but it's a current issue, so I
don't think that's fair. Anyone can go out and get a 6 month free
subscription, so probably it's better for Larry to garner more subscriptions
than pull from his magazine.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

> hank alrich wrote:
> > Ty Ford wrote:
> >

> >>Hand made in the USA.
> >

> > Really? Or hand-assembled here from components made here and elsewhere?
> > They make their own capsules here in the USA? Not saying they don't; I
> > just don't know and I'm curious.
>
> If I recall, the exact same question came up when this was discussed a
> couple of years ago. I'm too lazy to Google it.
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 2:59:56 PM

In article <20041227084339.06040.00001623@mb-m19.aol.com>,
EganMedia <eganmedia@aol.com> wrote:
>>this guy makes nice mics. give it a break
>
>Are these the same "C-12 Clones" David Butler was hawking a few years back?

No. But they are similar in general concept.
--scott
December 28, 2004 3:21:25 PM

<genericaudioperson@hotmail.com> wrote:
>the vf-14 tube was an important part of the u-47 sound. so any mic
>that deviates from it (even a "nuvistor" 47 or a 47fet) will not be the
>same as a "real" u-47.

What was the VF-14 actually made for? I am told it was intended for
military service, but it doesn't look particularly ruggedized. I know
it is used in the Volksradio, but other than that I have never seen it
in anything but the microphones.

I gather that it was used because it was cheap and plentiful on the surplus
market after the war.

>the vf-14 was a special tube, and neumann would reject many of the
>vf-14 tubes that didn't meet specs.

However, many of those reject VF-14 tubes have since found themselves in
microphones over the years when the supply of the "M" grade mikes from
Neumann dried up.

>it could be a great mic, but i would be shocked if it were "identical"
>in sound and response.

I've never even heard two U-47s that are identical in sound and response.
--scott
December 28, 2004 8:49:14 PM

>I've never even heard two U-47s that are identical in sound and response.
>--scott

So, by todays standards, are we saying the QC of that period is on par with the
far east of today. :>)

The acceptance of those mics back then isn't to different than the clones of
today. Does that mean I can buy a bunch of Chinese clones and have my grandson
get rich when they become classics like the U-47? It might be better than
stamps!!!

--Wayne

-"sounded good to me"-
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 8:49:15 PM

Wayne <ybstudios@aol.com> wrote:
>>I've never even heard two U-47s that are identical in sound and response.
>>--scott
>
>So, by todays standards, are we saying the QC of that period is on par with the
>far east of today. :>)

Maybe, but so much of it has to do with aging. The original U-47 capsules
do not age well at all because the PVC loses its plasticizer and hardens.

>The acceptance of those mics back then isn't to different than the clones of
>today. Does that mean I can buy a bunch of Chinese clones and have my grandson
>get rich when they become classics like the U-47? It might be better than
>stamps!!!

Maybe, but there are a lot more of the clones made than the U-47s were. On
the other hand, lots of cheap junk of the eighties has already become valuable.
Who knows what will be considered the "classic sound of the 2000 decade" in
twenty years?
--scott
December 28, 2004 9:53:58 PM

In article <20041228124914.07087.00002261@mb-m10.aol.com> ybstudios@aol.com writes:

> >I've never even heard two U-47s that are identical in sound and response.
> >--scott
>
> So, by todays standards, are we saying the QC of that period is on par with the
> far east of today. :>)

No, I don't think so. I think that we're saying that materials age
differently. Scott isn't old enough to have heard two brand new U47s
side by side.

Today we're able to better control manufacturing so that we can make a
greater quantity of in-tolerance units (and fewer rejects) to meet
greater consumer demand. Just like with TV sets or DVD players.

> Does that mean I can buy a bunch of Chinese clones and have my grandson
> get rich when they become classics like the U-47? It might be better than
> stamps!!!

What makes you think they'll ever become classics like the U-47?
Better to buy real estate.

December 28, 2004 10:05:31 PM

> So, by todays standards, are we saying the QC of that period is on par
with the
> far east of today. :>)

No, but after +/- 50 years, it's not surprising to find important response
differences between samples.
Capsule aging is the main factor. Funky tube operation is another.
Then the M7 and K47 don't have the exact same sound.
The early M7s had good consistency at the time, but nothing compared to
today's K47s (or anything coming out of Neumann's current production), and
certainly a good notch under the early K47s (why would they change the
design if it didn't improve reliability and consistency?).

> The acceptance of those mics back then isn't to different than the clones
of
> today.

The situation is completely different!

> Does that mean I can buy a bunch of Chinese clones and have my grandson
> get rich when they become classics like the U-47? It might be better than
> stamps!!!

Absolutely not.
There are too many chinese clones (or whatever) around to ever get "cult
status", let alone the "vintage" appeal of a good ie. U47.

Also, no chinese clone comes close to a German or Austrian classic. the
quality simply isn't there.

I'm even surprised the Sony C37/38 mics attained such popularity (don't get
me wrong, they're good mics).

JP
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 8:39:16 AM

On 28 Dec 2004 19:06:59 -0500, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>In article <znr1104259657k@trad>, Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> just twenty years ago

Very humorous indeed.

>>Better to buy real estate.

Didn't we tell you that if you told ANYONE about this, that there
would be consequences? Didn't we? Didn't we?!

It's people like you wot cause unrest.

Chris Hornbeck
"They'd meet at the Tout Va Bien."
-JLG, _Bande a part_, 1964
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 1:40:58 AM

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 12:44:29 -0500, Lou Gimenez wrote
(in article <BDF5B42C.59B2C%themusiclab@optonline.net>):

> I agree, but Gene Lawson and David Bock do the same thing. I think it's
> useful as a description to say it's styled after. The clone description I
> can do without. No one is making a true clone of any mic. That being said
> the 2247 still is a nice mic. I haven't heard the 22-251 but I'm curious.
> --Lou Gimenez
> The Music Lab
> 2" 24track w all the Goodies
> www.musiclabnyc.com
>

>> From: Ty Ford <tyreeford@comcast.net>
>> Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
>> Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 09:56:12 -0500
>> Subject: Re: Peluso mics

>> Lou,
>>
>> Come on, man. He may make good mics, but the word "copy" is abused too
>> frequently. It's market speak. As below, he doesn't use the word "copy" so
>> the blame falls on the poster.

Lou,

David was skinning his own capsules last time I knew anything about it.

I guess my point is do David or Gene tout their mics as U 47 wannabees?

If they do, I missed the reference.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Smiles,

Ty Ford

PS: My own current, unofficial, favorite bastard stepchildren are the Rode
NT2-A and NT2000.
stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 1:48:14 AM

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 22:43:38 -0500, Joe Sensor wrote
(in article <33c338F3vpg7gU1@individual.net>):

> Lou Gimenez wrote:
>
>> Fletcher doesnt actually know anything about the Peluso mics or capsules. He
>> has personal issues with John Peluso.
>
> I would have guessed as much. ;)

Lou,

and they would be...?

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 1:50:10 AM

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:49:14 -0500, Wayne wrote
(in article <20041228124914.07087.00002261@mb-m10.aol.com>):

>> I've never even heard two U-47s that are identical in sound and response.
>> --scott
>
> So, by todays standards, are we saying the QC of that period is on par with
> the
> far east of today. :>)
>
> The acceptance of those mics back then isn't to different than the clones of
> today. Does that mean I can buy a bunch of Chinese clones and have my
> grandson
> get rich when they become classics like the U-47? It might be better than
> stamps!!!
>
> --Wayne
>
> -"sounded good to me"-

Well, the U 47s we have today are HOW OLD? They've been through what sort of
use/abuse?

Smiles,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 6:10:24 PM

He's talked about his problem with John on gearslutz. If you're interested
you can go there and look them up. There's a few peluso threads on gearslutz
and Fletcher comments in most of them.
--Lou Gimenez
The Music Lab
2" 24track w all the Goodies
www.musiclabnyc.com

> From: Ty Ford <tyreeford@comcast.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
> Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:48:14 -0500
> Subject: Re: Peluso mics
>
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 22:43:38 -0500, Joe Sensor wrote
> (in article <33c338F3vpg7gU1@individual.net>):
>
>> Lou Gimenez wrote:
>>
>>> Fletcher doesnt actually know anything about the Peluso mics or capsules. He
>>> has personal issues with John Peluso.
>>
>> I would have guessed as much. ;)
>
> Lou,
>

> and they would be...?
>
> Ty
>

> -- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
> stuff are at www.tyford.com

Anonymous
January 1, 2005 6:16:14 PM

Actually they both do. Go to their websites and check out the descriptions
of the E 47 and 251 and the Lawson 47 and 251. BTW the early soundelux mics
had chinese capsules, the U195 still does and sounds really good. The later
soundelux stuff was made by blue and MBHO
--Lou Gimenez
The Music Lab
2" 24track w all the Goodies
www.musiclabnyc.com

> From: Ty Ford <tyreeford@comcast.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
> Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:40:58 -0500
> Subject: Re: Peluso mics
>
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 12:44:29 -0500, Lou Gimenez wrote
> (in article <BDF5B42C.59B2C%themusiclab@optonline.net>):
>
>> I agree, but Gene Lawson and David Bock do the same thing. I think it's
>> useful as a description to say it's styled after. The clone description I
>> can do without. No one is making a true clone of any mic. That being said
>> the 2247 still is a nice mic. I haven't heard the 22-251 but I'm curious.
>> --Lou Gimenez
>> The Music Lab
>> 2" 24track w all the Goodies
>> www.musiclabnyc.com
>>

>>> From: Ty Ford <tyreeford@comcast.net>
>>> Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
>>> Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 09:56:12 -0500
>>> Subject: Re: Peluso mics

>>> Lou,
>>>
>>> Come on, man. He may make good mics, but the word "copy" is abused too
>>> frequently. It's market speak. As below, he doesn't use the word "copy" so
>>> the blame falls on the poster.
>

> Lou,
>
> David was skinning his own capsules last time I knew anything about it.
>
> I guess my point is do David or Gene tout their mics as U 47 wannabees?
>
> If they do, I missed the reference.
>
> Thanks for your thoughtful reply.
>
> Smiles,
>
> Ty Ford
>
> PS: My own current, unofficial, favorite bastard stepchildren are the Rode
> NT2-A and NT2000.
> -- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
> stuff are at www.tyford.com

Anonymous
January 1, 2005 10:30:49 PM

In article <Js2dnSS14-JMhkvcRVn-sA@comcast.com>, Ty Ford
<tyreeford@comcast.net> wrote:

> PS: My own current, unofficial, favorite bastard stepchildren are the Rode
> NT2-A and NT2000.

Ty, Have you tried the Rode K2?

--
Mike Clayton
Anonymous

<< Ty Ford tyreeford@comcast.net >>

<< David was skinning his own capsules last time I knew anything about it.

I guess my point is do David or Gene tout their mics as U 47 wannabees?

If they do, I missed the reference.>>

Well Ty - I have a Soundelux U95S, and yes, the original Soundelux
literature contains a similar kind of your "marketspeak."

excerpt-

"A microphone of extraordinary distinction, the U95S marks the culmination
of Soundelux's commitment to effectively recreate the prized signature sound of
earlier classic models, yet does so with lower noise, more dynamic headroom,
improved long-term stability, and greater consistency between microphones.

"Music recording and broadcast engineers who normally
specify vintage U47 or M49 models will find that the U95S offers virtually
identical sonic characteristics, allowing direct substitution with little or no
change in placement or equalization."

Then he goes on to talk about his exact replica of KK47 capsules, etc.
Which it turns out Skipper Wise at Blue was manufacturing - and guys here have
had only good things to say about the BLUE restorations of Longbody U47's.

Anyway, I think calling a reference to emulating other microphones
"marketspeak" and such in a dismissive manner is a bit too cynical. After all,
generally Pro users have some idea what the characteristics are of microphones
that have what might be called "Touchstone" status, and it is a way to have an
idea of what the manufacturer was trying to do sonically. And as they say on
the Food Channel, "The truth is in the eating"....

But assuming you are correct Ty, would a review by you really be all it
would take to eliminate such a mark of shame? <g>

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Audio Guy / Fox News
January 2, 2005 1:25:21 PM

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 15:16:14 -0500, Lou Gimenez wrote
(in article <BDFC6F3D.5A14D%themusiclab@optonline.net>):

> Actually they both do. Go to their websites and check out the descriptions
> of the E 47 and 251 and the Lawson 47 and 251. BTW the early soundelux mics
> had chinese capsules, the U195 still does and sounds really good. The later
> soundelux stuff was made by blue and MBHO
> --Lou Gimenez
> The Music Lab
> 2" 24track w all the Goodies
> www.musiclabnyc.com

I didn't say it couldn't be done and by my reviews I think you'll see I like
a lot of what David put out.

OTOH, I have had a LOT of discussions about chinese mic brokers who say they
will be getting the bugs out, but never do. I'm bored of naming names. Don't
ask me.

I thought the 251 was a classic case of marketing and the only reason why
anyone would want one would be to announce to the world how much money they
had to throw around. It's an "ego buy."

But getting back to the point: I can accept Gefell glomming on to Neumann
much more readily than I can any mic made in China that purports
similarities. There's a paper trail there.

Will how I feel about it change anything, probably not. But I want the less
experienced folks here to know that laying claims to Neumann heritage is
usually just a ploy. Don't go for it, use your ears and keep one hand on your
wallet everytime someone gets close to saying a mic is "Just like a Neumann,
but cheaper, dude."

Smiles,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com